Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Actually, one Orthodox Jewish blogger (albeit a politically and religiously lefitsh one) put forward almost the same idea--not that Paladino was manipulated by "the Jews," but that he was manipulated by one Jew in particular. I can't tell if he was being facetious or not:

Carl Paladino gets used, out-smarted and embarrassed by Yehuda Levin

Do you really not "get" that one opportunistic slimeball who happens to be Jewish and thus in a position to become a non-Jewish politician's liaison with/ speechwriter for speeches directed at, the Hassidic Jewish voting bloc does not, in any way, equal "nice Catholic boy screwed by the Jews?"

Why do you think it's okay to say that Yehuda Levin represents "the Jews" or is "a" representative "Jew?" It is no more okay than Dukakis's foes using an habitually-recidivistic felon who just happened to be black and have what are considered "African facial features" (Willie Horton -- the Racist Archetype of the "Big Black Rapist" Going Through the Revolving Door of the Massachusetts Justice System) as a boogeyman to scare white, middle-class voters out of voting for Dukakis.

Or, for that matter, the Moral Majority using footage of Gay Pride Parades to show Christian America what the "Gay Agenda" "really was": Recruitment and celebration of that recruitment with "anti-God"/"un-Christian" revelry.

I don't care to have my people demonized. Not as the bent-on-world-domination falsely-lumped-together "the Jews." And not as individually-motivated-but-somehow-all-responding-to-Jew-impulses-as-a-racial-hive-mind "a Jew."

Stop and think about what happens to gays and blacks and liberals and atheists and Marxists when people globally -- even in a passive way -- assent to the assertion that Jews are somehow racially different in a way in which no other minority can be.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Do you really not "get" that one opportunistic slimeball who happens to be Jewish and thus in a position to become a non-Jewish politician's liaison with/ speechwriter for speeches directed at, the Hassidic Jewish voting bloc does not, in any way, equal "nice Catholic boy screwed by the Jews?"

Why do you think it's okay to say that Yehuda Levin represents "the Jews" or is "a" representative "Jew?" It is no more okay than Dukakis's foes using an habitually-recidivistic felon who just happened to be black and have what are considered "African facial features" (Willie Horton -- the Racist Archetype of the "Big Black Rapist" Going Through the Revolving Door of the Massachusetts Justice System) as a boogeyman to scare white, middle-class voters out of voting for Dukakis.

Or, for that matter, the Moral Majority using footage of Gay Pride Parades to show Christian America what the "Gay Agenda" "really was": Recruitment and celebration of that recruitment with "anti-God"/"un-Christian" revelry.

I don't care to have my people demonized. Not as the bent-on-world-domination falsely-lumped-together "the Jews." And not as individually-motivated-but-somehow-all-responding-to-Jew-impulses-as-a-racial-hive-mind "a Jew."

Stop and think about what happens to gays and blacks and liberals and atheists and Marxists when people globally -- even in a passive way -- assent to the assertion that Jews are somehow racially different in a way in which no other minority can be.
Wow, you're dumb.

Read what I wrote.

Wait, no: that obviously didn't work. So my repeating what I said, or my pointing out that the views that you attribute to me are almost directly contradicted by what I wrote, probably would not work either. Too bad.

Edited to add: As for the message by houtx48 that my message quoted, maybe you should read this: Irony - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Last edited:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hmmmmm... Maybe a writing course for you, because it read more like agreement pretending, rather poorly, to be irony.
Oh, brother. I'll try again: my reference to irony followed this sentence (emphasis added): "As for the message by houtx48 that my message quoted, maybe you should read this." By "the message by houtx48 that my message quoted," I meant the message by houtx48 (not by me) that my message quoted. Get it now? THAT is the message with the irony in it. See?

As for the message of mine to which you initially replied, there was no ironic intent in it, nor did I suggest otherwise when I first told you to read what I had written and then added that it was probably pointless to ask you to do so since you failed to notice that the view for which you were attacking me was the opposite of the plain sense of my words.

The source of misunderstanding here is not my supposedly deficient writing skills but your manifest inability to comprehend EITHER literal statement OR irony.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
^ Maybe . . . . anyway, I know you're new here and don't know everybody, but I'm pretty sure Calboner doesn't have an anti semitic bone in his body. You misinterpreted.

Speaking of bones, have you seen his? :eek222: Ya know, he could be Jewish.

Last edited:

Empathizer

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
^ Maybe . . . . anyway, I know you're new here and don't know everybody, but I'm pretty sure Calboner doesn't have an anti semitic bone in his body. You misinterpreted.

Speaking of bones, have you seen his? :eek222: Ya know, he could be Jewish.

Hmmmmm... Just like all the white people who proclaim themselves "not at all racist against black people?"

1kmb1

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Good Lord. How does a twat like this get a nomination to run for Governor of NY? I remember Nelson Rockefeller and John Lindsey, both Republican's and both progressive politicians who were governor. WTF is happening to your country???

edit- correction Lindsey was mayor of NYC

to be fair, a taco salad could have wont the GOP nomination over lazio (thats his name right?)

basincreek

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hmmmmm... Just like all the white people who proclaim themselves "not at all racist against black people?"

Anyone who ever says "I'm not racist but" is assured to follow those words with something that is a logical abortion at best and undiluted bigotry at worst.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I'm not sure what you're inferring with that, but if you're reflecting it on anyone here, why don't you just come out and say who and show us? If you have any reason to think Cal is antisemitic or has said anything even approching that, I've never seen it, certainly not in this thread. In fact, he seems to be reinforcing just the opposite of what you chastised him for. I can see how you might react to Hout's comment if you weren't used to him. I've been taken aback by a few of his comments in the past, before I realized he was being facetious. Now he just cracks me up. Why you jumped on Cal rather than him is puzzling.

There are any number of bright members here who put up posts with layers of irony, satire, or facetiousness.
I can tell you're bright too, and I expect you'll sort that out. If not, you run the risk of ironically reinforcing a certain stereotype yourself, i.e. every mention of race, Judaism, sexual orientation, etc. is not cause for getting on the defensive. In the meantime, I hope you will go back and read the exchange from the beginning as objectively as you can, and if you see fit, consider how you might reconcile.

Last edited:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media

None of this applies to Cal's post.
And for the record, he is indeed Jewish.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey Cal, aren't you Jewish?
Yes, but I was not about to play that card, as it would merely distract from the issue. One need know nothing whatever about me to understand what I wrote. Empathizer went on a tear attributing views to me that had no basis in what I had written.

Your question reminded me of this exchange:

Stan: Aren't you Jewish, Kyle?
Kyle: Yeah, I think so.
Stan: Dude, Jewish people don't celebrate Christmas!
Kyle: What?
Stan: You're supposed to sing Hanukkah songs!
Kyle: (sings) Dreidel dreidel dreidel,
I made you out of clay,
Dreidel dreidel dreidel--
Stan: That's a stupid song.
Cartman: Yeah, Hanukkah sucks.
Kyle: Don't you oppress me, fat boy!
Cartman: Don't call me fat, butt fucker!
Kyle: Then DON'T BELITTLE MY PEOPLE, you FUCKING FATASS!
Cartman: GOD DAMN IT, DON'T CALL ME FAT, you BUTT-FUCKING SON OF A BITCH!

Empathizer

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Actually, it can. Implication isn't always conscious, and self-loathing is as common as ever. You still played (whether ironically or not) in an indirect and conciliatory manner with the #1 anti-Semitic stereotype in existence. It's no less an instance of internalized anti-Semitism than are Jon Stewart's numerous "Oy vey, Mr. Gentile Movie Actor/Journalist/Politician! I am just a schmendrick, weak and Jewish! A nebbish! Ow! My poor, weak, Jewish hand! Your strong goyishe grasp has maimed me permanently!"

Is he being ironic? Yeah. Is it funny? Only if you accept within yourself the idea that Jews are inherently weaker than and more worthy of being hurt than anyone else in the world.

If you don't confront it head-on, then, like any bigoted joke, it lives and festers, and causes damage.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
It's no less an instance of internalized anti-Semitism than are Jon Stewart's numerous "Oy vey, Mr. Gentile Movie Actor/Journalist/Politician! I am just a schmendrick, weak and Jewish! A nebbish! Ow! My poor, weak, Jewish hand! Your strong goyishe grasp has maimed me permanently!"

Is he being ironic? Yeah. Is it funny? Only if you accept within yourself the idea that Jews are inherently weaker than and more worthy of being hurt than anyone else in the world.

You've got it precisely wrong.
The more ridiculous the implicit premise seems to the listener, the funnier it is.
And Stewart can do this because he obviously is anything but weak.
When he utters these words, they seem totally absurd.
He weakens ... not strengthens ... the underlying stereotype.

I'm sure you're sincere, but I think you've lost your sense of perspective here.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
According to the New York Times, Cuomo is pulling ahead of Paladino, 59 to 24 percent.

The article goes on to say:

Mr. Paladino’s standing in the poll may have been affected by its timing; it surveyed 1,139 adults from Oct. 10 through Oct. 15, as Mr. Paladino was being widely criticized for expressing disgust with gay pride parades and commenting that children should not be taught that homosexuality was acceptable. Earlier public polls showed Mr. Cuomo leading by smaller margins.

In earlier polls, Cuomo had led Paladino only 49 to 43 percent.

B_OtterJoq

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
According to the New York Times, Cuomo is pulling ahead of Paladino, 59 to 24 percent.

The article goes on to say:

Mr. Paladino’s standing in the poll may have been affected by its timing; it surveyed 1,139 adults from Oct. 10 through Oct. 15, as Mr. Paladino was being widely criticized for expressing disgust with gay pride parades and commenting that children should not be taught that homosexuality was acceptable. Earlier public polls showed Mr. Cuomo leading by smaller margins.

In earlier polls, Cuomo had led Paladino only 49 to 43 percent.

Great news for NY and the US!

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Anyone who ever says "I'm not racist but" is assured to follow those words with something that is a logical abortion at best and undiluted bigotry at worst.

Often, this is true ... but the only reason for beginning a sentence in this way is one's belief that the listener will find the still-to-come words racist.
And one can believe that either:
1) because they are, or, equally,
2) because one expects them to be misinterpreted
And in the latter case ... which is not rare, God knows, because misinterpretation happens all the time ... what one goes ahead and says may be neither a logical abortion nor undiluted bigotry.

Last edited: