nice clothes, cheap underwear, vs cheap clothes, nice undies

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by injoyinit, Jun 18, 2011.

1. injoyinit

injoyinit Member

I have noticed a trend for a while where it seems like the effort and money put into external appearance is inversely proportional to the what's put into the "internal" appearance on men.

Frequently, I have seen many "white collar" men, you know, the office workers that wear 3-piece designer suits all the time. Underneath, they are wearing the cheapest old worn-out pair of tighty whities or boxers that they bought at a discount store, several years old, they have holes and stains all over them. I've noticed this at the gym, and knowing some of the guys from jobs I have worked outside of work.

OTOH, (and to a certain extent, more like myself) I have seen many men that wear top-dollar underwear from good brands like CK, 2xist, etc, but are wearing worn-out clothes, frequently jeans with holes in them, old-T-shirts, etc. They frequently have a 5-oclock shadow, and unkempt hair. Granted, I see some men on construction sites, where it's hard to keep clean and neat, but I frequently see just average guys like in the grocery store or other places that look like total slobs, but when their shirt pops up, they have on the best underneath.

I am like this myself a bit, as I value comfort over appearance more or less when it comes to clothes, but I do try and keep myself looking reasonably neat, despite clothing myself on a target & Wal-mart budget. When I do wear underwear, I like it to be the best I can buy because they will bring the best comfort. Those that are making good enough money to spend 4-digits on a nice suit however, I am quite surprised that they do not put a little more money out and buy something good to go underneath it all and give them some reasonable comfort.

2. Blorkin

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    I agree completely with this. I would just add a middle category, I would say it is more rare than the others but not uncommon. It would be good underwear and good clothes, not top dollar, but still nice. Like from department stores when they have sales!! Which is the only time I shop. As you can probably guess I fall into this category of valuing comfort and appearance. Their are a lot of good looking clothes for cheap, I mean early today I got a $30 belt for $6 at Khol's. Also you can get top dollar suits for (essential) dirt cheap at 3-day suit broker (I absolutely love the place). With a Target and Walmart budget you can get nice clothes (I am a student at UCR so even Target and Walmart are expensive) you just have too look for them and only buy a little at a time so that it eventually builds up.

3. xmarksbreakdownx

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree with Blorkin.

I like to think I wear nice clothes, not like Armani or anything, but nice. You know, Izod and Polo shirts, Levi jeans, and almost all of my clothes are bought on sale. I wear normal Hanes and Fruit of the Loom boxers and boxer-briefs. I have one pair of Izod boxers, which I got on sale once, but that's about it as far as it goes with expensive underwear.

4. Mogluver

Mogluver Member

I agree with Blorkin, department sales come on twice a year, usually starting in August through October to clear out summer goods, then in January through March to clear out winter goods. I found that when the sales start I go and check to see the selection, then watch weekly to see that the mark downs are steady and consistent. The longer one waits the better the markdown. Over the years I have a massive selection of well made pants and shirts that I rotate all the time, they rarely show wear and are old standards, twill pleated cuffed pants, and a variety of button downs in short and long, plus polos. Then get on line and find a good quality underwear outlet, some times they sell tripacks of 2Xist or Unico for a fraction on the price. Buying good quality underwear that lasts saves more in the end than buying junk. BTW, I graduated from UCR... quite a number of years ago when the campus was small, about 5,000 students and found the education to be superior.

5. gjmesa

gjmesa New Member

I spend more money on my underwear because that's what people are going to see me in more of the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted