Nice shot, Mr. President

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Knowing that the righties were secretly praying that the Captain held hostage by pirates would get his brains blown out... Knowing that the right would've plastered the President with, "I told you so!"... Knowing that the right wouldn't even acknowledge our triumph Sunday, today...

That's VERY presumptuous. I mean, you just did the exact same thing in the opposite direction. I, as a ~conservative, would NEVER hope to see an innocent man die so I could twist it to political ends. That's fucking pathetic, and I hope you realize that your stereotyping of the right simply doesn't apply here.

M

Mr Ed in Mass

Gays and lesbians are barred from serving in the military. If he'd been allowed to serve, chances are he would have at least considered it. The GI bill/ROTC is nothing to sneeze at: who wouldn't want an education, excellent job training and a big help up with one's first mortgage in exchange for three or four years of one's life? It's how my dad did it.

I have known many gays that have served their country with honor and courage. I brought the subject up because I don't think he could have achieved either goal.

M

Mr Ed in Mass

So I think the point is that people thought Obama would be too much of a wuss to combat violence with violence. Proven wrong, next topic?

You proved nothing.Next topic What about Iran....wuss North Korea....wuss
China disrupting our computer and power grids.....wuss

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have known many gays that have served their country with honor and courage. I brought the subject up because I don't think he could have achieved either goal.

I do too. But they served in the 60s, 70s and early 80s. By the time DADT was signed, the persecution of gays and lesbians in the military had been such a big deal that Clinton campaigned against it, only to betray us later for it by cowing to Sam Nunn and Colin Powell.

Troops discharged for being gay can be and are sued for the reimbursement their Pentagon-paid scholarships under what amounts to breach of contract. There is nothing dishonorable about being gay unless you're in the armed forces of the United States.

I understand snarky point-making as much as the next guy, but suggesting that a gay man is cowardly, weak or lacking in clear moral thinking because he's never served in the military is a whole new low in being disingenuous.

M

Mr Ed in Mass

You can serve you country now,You don't have to tell the military that you are gay,and you don't have to be in you face about it.You would never know that some guys are gay unless you ask.He pissed me off calling Bush a drunken crook,but he gets a free pass? and where in my post did I talk about him being gay? who is being disingenuous?

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You can serve you country now,You don't have to tell the military that you are gay,and you don't have to be in you face about it.You would never know that some guys are gay unless you ask.He pissed me off calling Bush a drunken crook,but he gets a free pass? and where in my post did I talk about him being gay? who is being disingenuous?

It's not a question of being "in your face about it", nobody's talking about rainbow flag tattoos. Being discovered as gay means an automatic dishonorable discharge.

Besides, most of the dismissals under DADT have been Lesbians, not men.

When you ask someone who lists himself as 99% gay to clarify his military record, you're being disingenuous; if you look at his avatar you can clearly see his percentage. Besides, with a screenname like "Slurper", it would be pretty obvious even without his percentages listed. Pointing this out is not being anything but open-eyed and aware of reality. Your walk-back won't wash: good try, though.

Besides, we have an all-voluntary service policy right now, so military service is not compulsory, which is a big shame, nor is it an indicator of anything in particular. In my opinion, the first thing Bush should have done after we were attacked on 9/11 is call for an immediate draft. Had a draft been in place, I can guarantee that the invasion of Iraq would have been much different.

Bush is a drunk. His alcoholism is a very important part of his bio: it's common knowledge, as is his service in the Texas National Guard. Slurper repeated a commonly-held belief that Bush's service was less than robust. I frankly don't care what he did when I was in grammar school, and accept the fact that as the son of a very wealthy and influential man, he got cut some breaks and didn't go to Viet Nam. This happened all the time. I don't see what's the harm in recognizing the obvious and moving on.

The left's fixation on Bush's military record, after lionizing Clinton, is incredibly disingenuous, I agree. I compare it to the lunacy about Obama's birth certificate: they're both desperate straw-grasping and tin-foil hat loco and show how American politics are all about straw-men instead of real issues. It's one of the reasons why I could never be a member of either party. For the record, Bill Weld's one of my heroes, most especially when he walked away from what was, for him, a zero-sum game.

M

Mr Ed in Mass

I'm just curious,who made you judge and jury?
I don't give a fuck what you think,I never looked at his percentage or frankly looked at his name.I have to work for a living and usually just give quick posts.
Just so you'll know in the future, I am an independent who pays taxes.believes in the constitution and a higher power. I also don't believe in big goverment or illegals pouring across our borders In the future,please do not be a hypocrite and post on any of those subjects.

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Gays and lesbians are barred from serving in the military. If he'd been allowed to serve, chances are he would have at least considered it. The GI bill/ROTC is nothing to sneeze at: who wouldn't want an education, excellent job training and a big help up with one's first mortgage in exchange for three or four years of one's life? It's how my dad did it.

Come on Uncle B. you and I know at minimum a few men and women who are gay,lesbian and bi who have served in the Armed Forces.
It doesn't prevent them from keeping that fact to themselves while they are in the armed services.
Mr. Ed in Mass. is living proof of that as are the members here at lpsg we know. As you can see Ed is upset now as is his right. As is yours to give your opinions on this issue.
I don't like to assume anything including why someone has this name (cigarbabe) or that name (Mr. Ed in Mass.} it doesn't really do anyone any favors to assume as everyone knows.
I never liked Bush. I think he bought his way out of serving in Vietnam unlike Mr. Ed who served,was blown out of his tanks several times and recieved medals like the Purple Heart {amongst many} which I proudly display on my license plates. Whether he is a drunk or not isn't relevant in my life today and it won't ever be.
I thank the Goddess that he is out of office finally.
cigarbabe:sasmokin:

Last edited:

Notaguru2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's VERY presumptuous. I mean, you just did the exact same thing in the opposite direction. I, as a ~conservative, would NEVER hope to see an innocent man die so I could twist it to political ends. That's fucking pathetic, and I hope you realize that your stereotyping of the right simply doesn't apply here.

Actually, I know some very conservative people who had hoped this situation would have "blown up in Obama's face". I can read between the lines... I stand by my comments.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

I disagree, Qua.

I saw many a rather vocal conservative practically drooling on television over the Idea that the Pirates would make Obama look ineffective.

Many who have publicly hoped that Obama would fail..
And in a resue operation, his failure would be the death of innocents.

Sorry.. the right wing response before the rescue was unquestionably cynical and gloating... and their public response after the rescue has been shameful.

And if you don't like being identified with some of the stupidest, cruelest, most inhumane juiceless skinflint assholes on earth, maybe you should stop labeling yourself a conservative.

Whatever being a conservative used to mean... it has been co-opted to mean whatever Rush Limbaugh says it means.