Nigerian 'baby factory' raided and 32 teenage girls freed

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by fire77, Jun 2, 2011.

1. fire77

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
  2. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    I saw something about this yesterday, I can't click on that link, it will just make me sick. There's nothing else that I can say about something that disgusts me so.

3. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thank you fire77, for not turning away from what is really going on. When they predicted that the media would create a 'global village' consciousness, this is the sort of thing that was bound to turn up and get us thinking about what it means to be human and humane.

Life is not all Coca-Cola commercials where we sing together on hillsides. And the vast majority of socially tolerated sexual abuse is borne by females. Then they turn around and everybody's caught, thinking that this is how sex ought to be, that it's akin to breeding farm animals instead of a way to experience the most profound sort of pleasure and communion.

Sorry, but I have a lot of arthritic pain and it makes me grumpy. I could use a good compassionate screwing. Thank the powers that be I know where to get such a commodity, and that it exists. Unlike these poor girls.

4. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    My mother warned me about that sort of thing when I was a little girl and I wandered off in a restaurant one time. It took a few years passing for me to understand what she was talking about. It has been many years since, and I still do not understand the things people do to each other.

5. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    I, too, cannot comprehend such depths of depravity. It angers and sickens me. It makes me wish that that guilty be punished to a degree that they suffer at least as much as their victims.

6. B_doogie888

B_doogie888 New Member

This is a good thing to be aware of, and it's important to realize that the world isn't turning towards this, this is how it has been for a very, very long time. Just today, I read a NYT op-ed by Nick Kristof which this reminds me of (see here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/02/opinion/02kristof.html?_r=1&ref=nicholasdkristof). If you're interested in this sort of thing, Kristof has written tons of pieces about anything from this, to the epidemic of female circumcision in sub-saharan Africa, to the pre-teen boys sold on the streets of Afghanistan to become sexual slaves to older men.

It's unfortunate that this is a cultural thing, and it is their way of life in the same vein that freedom is the West's way of life. That's what makes it such a hard issue. I obviously don't condone things like this, but it becomes an extremely delicate situation when you're dealing with a cultural norm that is alien to us, but completely legitimate to them.

7. fire77

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    What the fuck are you talking about, what fucking culture thing. This is not a frigging culture thing, this is a crime committed by a bunch of thugs and criminals for financial gain, kidnapping young girls, rape them, force them to get pregnant, take their new born babies, sell them to be be sex slaves for some sick minded people or have them sold to be sacrificed/slaughtered for some sick ritual is NOT A FUCKING CULTURE. There is no culture in or on this planet permit breeding farms.

8. dolfette

Gold Member

no, creating a farm is not an age old tradition.
    but there does exist a culture that places a far lower value on human life and the rights of the weak than we do. perhaps it is partly due to high levels of poverty, which create a dog eat dog mentality. maybe it's partly due to the high mortality rates, which make death less distressing to those not intimately attached.

up to 14 years for selling a baby though.
    it doesn't seem nearly enough.

9. B_doogie888

B_doogie888 New Member

I think you missed the broader point of my post, re: violence against women around the world, which is cultural. This happened in Nigeria because culturally, women are not valued as highly as men. While it might be illegal there, as it is in many of these third world states, it will slip through the cracks and remain more prominent because of this cultural difference. *sigh*, being so educated is frustrating sometimes.

10. fire77

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I didn't miss your broader point at all, you clearly stated what happened in Nigeria is a cultural thing.

And excuse me for my illiteracy :rolleyes:

11. dolfette

Gold Member

fear not, for i'm sure it is offset by your level of social skills. :smile:

12. ManofThunder

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have to ask, why do you have Fagin as your avatar?

13. Ramsey

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    What's truly sad is that they wouldn't do this, if there wasn't a sick demand for this sort of thing. It's not just a few isolated people, there are lots of people who are willing to pay for it.

14. B_doogie888

B_doogie888 New Member

Correct, because it's a cultural thing.

15. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

Children being sold into sexual slavery is a big money maker. I volunteered with an organization that helped males who had been sexually abused. We encountered males who had been brought as children from Mexico, and had been sold to pedophiles from the USA. Many of the children were orphans. Mexico's government knows about it. The USA government knows about it. Neither side cares enough to do anything about it. There are public employees in the USA that will create false birth certificates for the children. It enables the pedophiles to bring them into the country. We know that there are hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of such boys/girls in the USA. Nobody really knows just how many are here. Many are presented as being house servants and/or gardeners. It is a very sick situation. When the child ages or they get bored with them, often times the person is killed. Nobody will care enough to find out what happened to them. The authorities will just believe the lie that the person went back to Mexico.

16. fire77

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    This is a crime just like any other, not a cultural thing. Marrying young girls is unacceptable in many countries but it is a culture in others. Slavery use to be a cultural thing. Kidnapping young girls and force breed them is a CRIME.

17. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's a crime for which there is a demand. Thanks for bringing the USA situation in, hootie. Yes it's a crime, but that doesn't mean there are not plenty of criminals just out of eyeshot, even here, in our own cities and states.

18. nolbaby

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Actually, I live in Arizona, and my state cares A LOT. Its not only a horrible network of crime and slavery for profit, which costs millions every year to fight and to try to stop, but the people who are smuggled in to the country who aren't killed or deported end up living here illegally, which means they get to use all of our shit and don't have to pay for any of it. Arizona introduced a law last year called SB-1070 that allows cops to arrest anybody who can't show residency i.d. if stopped (most of these kidnapped kids cannot because they don't have any i.d., so the ones that police find would be deported instead of being raped and killed by their kidnappers). The federal government is now suing Arizona for being unconstitutional by passing the law, and much of the rest of the country has given us nothing but shit about it. People do care, and people are trying, but there are so many stupid people in America who just assume that the whole thing is just a way for racist cops to fuck with Mexicans that it has been a struggle to do it. Hundreds of those kids probably could have been saved from an awful fate if the cops were allowed to do their job without people marching in protest and suing us to repeal the law. But they do. People side with the criminals in this country and are too dumb to realize that they are even doing so.
    But about Nigeria- Nigeria has always been one of the most corrupt places on earth. The government is in on most of this type of shit, therefor it won't end. Illegal diamond trade, human trafficking, and sea pirates have all been crimes in northern Africa that made world headlines in the last 10 years. It is just a big ass ghetto where dirty money is just as accepted as clean money, so criminals run the place.

but hey, 14 years for organized slavery operation is a steeper penalty than it sounds like, considering the average life expectancy in Nigeria is like 41.

19. B_Craiggers

B_Craiggers New Member

It's criminal and cultural.

Some people are criminal and just batshit crazy. They commit heinous acts of violence, sexual violence or otherwise, but not because of anything going on in the greater culture and instead because their brain is hardwired wrong.

The people in that article aren't batshit crazy. They're evil as fuck, but they're not mentally ill. Rather they live in a culture that places a value on human sacrifice, black magic, etc. The culture they live in drove the demand for that baby factory.

When someone said it's cultural, they weren't using it as a copout. They're saying that the culture there is horribly fucked up and that although busting these thugs is a good thing, until there's some kind of cultural revolution there this type of thing is likely to happen again. The culture breeds this kind of violence.

20. B_Craiggers

B_Craiggers New Member

Get rid of Joe Arpaio and I guarantee you'd get a lot less shit from the rest of the country.

Everyone sympathizes strongly with what's going on there, but you know how so many Germans were really HAPPY to have Hitler in power at the time?

Even if it's just one county, given the size and importance of that county in the state, it's really hard for people to give you the benefit of the doubt when that psychopath is running around in a position of power and it calls into question your level of judgement.

Draft saved Draft deleted