Nightmare Jobs

You want to hear weird? My last retail job 20 years ago was in a grocery store. Undercover security caught a guy stealing beef. Theft wasn't uncommon in the meat department because it's so expensive, but when the police were called, they searched his truck and found a dead cow in the back covered in a tarp! He was also charged with theft of the cow he killed that was found in his truck. I guess a whole cow wasn't enough meat for him, so he decided to swing by the store I worked at to stock up. YIKES! :emoji_astonished:

Talking to one of my coworkers at the time about the mental cases we had to serve regularly at the grocery store, he said to me, "even psychos have to eat". We had every bat shit crazy lunatic you could imagine come into that store even though it was in an affluent neighborhood. I joked once with the pharmacist that Xanax must have flowed like water in the town we worked in, and she told me it was actually their best seller (this was 20 years ago). There are a lot of freaks even in sleepy suburbia where the store I worked at was located. Of all the retail jobs I had to do over the years, grocery store was by far the absolute worst!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Toddcc987

meningreentights

Superior Member
Media
So many members of the public incorrectly think that Federal workers have it easy. If you are injured on duty, it is a nightmare getting care. You cannot go through the same channels someone can against a private employer. You have terrible difficulty finding anyone to treat you. Congress has subcontracted the management of care for Federal Workman's Comp. As a reward for managing the program, the contractor is given an "incentive" percent payback of what they've saved the government. You cannot find lawyers willing to represent you. The Federal Workman's Comp Board is a bunch of appointed "assholes" who are rude and abusive to employees and their lawyers.
I was badly injured in a wreck in 2006. A known crackhead slammed into the back of the mail truck I was driving. He was driving over 50 possibly 60 mph. I had a closed head injury, and my spine was badly injured. If the needed surgery was performed within the first year, I had an 85% chance of full recovery. Four times the surgeon sent all the necessary information, and request for surgery. Each time it was denied. You are only given care for 3 years from the time of the injury. A re-injury on the job would be required for you to receive more care. It has now been almost 13 yrs, and I have no chance at all. I am forced to live the rest of my life in unending pain. As time passes, I lose more use of my legs, and my spine continues to worsen.
I HOPE THEY ALL BURN IN HELL!

So many members of the public incorrectly think that Federal workers have it easy. If you are injured on duty, it is a nightmare getting care. You cannot go through the same channels someone can against a private employer. You have terrible difficulty finding anyone to treat you. Congress has subcontracted the management of care for Federal Workman's Comp. As a reward for managing the program, the contractor is given an "incentive" percent payback of what they've saved the government. You cannot find lawyers willing to represent you. The Federal Workman's Comp Board is a bunch of appointed "assholes" who are rude and abusive to employees and their lawyers.
I was badly injured in a wreck in 2006. A known crackhead slammed into the back of the mail truck I was driving. He was driving over 50 possibly 60 mph. I had a closed head injury, and my spine was badly injured. If the needed surgery was performed within the first year, I had an 85% chance of full recovery. Four times the surgeon sent all the necessary information, and request for surgery. Each time it was denied. You are only given care for 3 years from the time of the injury. A re-injury on the job would be required for you to receive more care. It has now been almost 13 yrs, and I have no chance at all. I am forced to live the rest of my life in unending pain. As time passes, I lose more use of my legs, and my spine continues to worsen.

My. God.

What a bunch of heartless bastards. Naturally it's all about the $$$ for them and when that's the impetus for decisions, of course everything gets tossed to the wayside so they can have their precious bonuses.

Man I'm sorry. My heart goes out to you. :heart::heart::heart:

Wow, sorry to hear that. I thank God for universal health care in my country. No matter who you are, where or how it happened - if you need surgery, you get it. End of story.

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

It is so important to adequately treat trauma and post surgical pain immediately to avoid long term chronic pain. Our health care system and the corporate insurance giants behind it are infuriatingly inadequate to the task. We long ago needed a national health which leaves no one behind.

I am sorry you suffer so terribly.

Reactions: Lookinginconshy

meningreentights

Superior Member
Media
It is so important to adequately treat trauma and post surgical pain immediately to avoid long term chronic pain. Our health care system and the corporate insurance giants behind it are infuriatingly inadequate to the task. We long ago needed a national health which leaves no one behind.

I am sorry you suffer so terribly.
Thank you.
Sadly, the issue is not my insurance. It is the Federal Workman's Comp program. Congress intentionally set it up this way, and there is very little Federal workers can do about it.

meningreentights

Superior Member
Media
Wow, sorry to hear that. I thank God for universal health care in my country. No matter who you are, where or how it happened - if you need surgery, you get it. End of story.
I'm glad it works that way for you.
My mate in Scotland had issues that needed immediate care. It was a year before the government managed program approved his MRI. After they got the results, it was another year before they approved his surgery. By then, the damage to his spinal cord was done. He lives every day in horrific pain, and is on nonstop morphine. It's really sad.

meningreentights

Superior Member
Media
It isn't just Federal workers who are being screwed. The VA needs to be investigated and people put in prison. Young marine was injured in Iraq. A shell blew up inches from him. It threw him backwards, damaged his spine, caused a lot of hearing loss, and other things. He was supposed to get surgery. Suddenly, he was told that he was born that way, and all of his MRI's, xrays, and all the diagnosis disappeared from his file. I know it to be true because I know his family, and his parents kept me posted all the way. People need to go to jail.

It isn't just Federal workers who are being screwed. The VA needs to be investigated and people put in prison. Young marine was injured in Iraq. A shell blew up inches from him. It threw him backwards, damaged his spine, caused a lot of hearing loss, and other things. He was supposed to get surgery. Suddenly, he was told that he was born that way, and all of his MRI's, xrays, and all the diagnosis disappeared from his file. I know it to be true because I know his family, and his parents kept me posted all the way. People need to go to jail.

God damn. Yes, I have heard it needs cleaning up badly.

Lookinginconshy

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
It’s big insurance companies too. Several years ago, I worked for a company that had Aetna for health ins. Aetna raised the rates 45% in anticipation of Obamacare. People couldn’t afford it. The same year the Aetna CEO compensation package was 30 million. Who the f..k is worth 30 million and why are they allowed to bilk policyholders and deny treatments. Also co-pays are a batch of robbery. Why do I need to pay a copay when I am paying the insurance company to cover my medical expense. Legal Robbery!

It definitely is. But the insurance companies have the clout and the $$$ to buy legislators, politicians and judges as human investments towards their goal as a power monopoly. One of the biggest scams going.

Where I work, we have Aetna insurance. Bottom of the barrel, cut-rate, dogshit insurance because it's the cheapest they could find.

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Thank you.
Sadly, the issue is not my insurance. It is the Federal Workman's Comp program. Congress intentionally set it up this way, and there is very little Federal workers can do about it.

I get you. My point is that if we had a national health which covered everyone you would have been treated instead of being strung along to nothing for years. You plight makes me so sad. I know so many stories like yours of lives ruined. It also infuriates me.

Cecil56

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Bad was working at a truck stop food joint around 14-16 years old. Busboy, dishwasher and a small amount of cooking. Usually did night shift, so when the bars closed down and the drunks showed up...it got worse.

I DID NOT want to go out and eat for a few years after that stint! Worse yet...if we had a family get-together and they wanted to go eat where I worked on the weekends and summers.

After 16 years old, got my driver's license and got out of there. Went from bad to worse. Did concrete work for a couple summers.
The ONLY good thing about that job....was I worked with older dudes, so I could drink beer with them after work and drown the memories of the day at the bar. Back in those days, if you fit in, the small town Iowa bars did not ID you.

meningreentights

Superior Member
Media
I get you. My point is that if we had a national health which covered everyone you would have been treated instead of being strung along to nothing for years. You plight makes me so sad. I know so many stories like yours of lives ruined. It also infuriates me.
Thank you for caring.
It would be nice if we could just all get the care we need but I can't see congress setting up anything without intentionally screwing us.

Reactions: twoton

meningreentights

Superior Member
Media
It’s big insurance companies too. Several years ago, I worked for a company that had Aetna for health ins. Aetna raised the rates 45% in anticipation of Obamacare. People couldn’t afford it. The same year the Aetna CEO compensation package was 30 million. Who the f..k is worth 30 million and why are they allowed to bilk policyholders and deny treatments. Also co-pays are a batch of robbery. Why do I need to pay a copay when I am paying the insurance company to cover my medical expense. Legal Robbery!

It isn't just insurance companies. Any large company with the additional funds has members of congress in their pocket.

I'm glad it works that way for you.
My mate in Scotland had issues that needed immediate care. It was a year before the government managed program approved his MRI. After they got the results, it was another year before they approved his surgery. By then, the damage to his spinal cord was done. He lives every day in horrific pain, and is on nonstop morphine. It's really sad.

I don’t know about the system in Scotland. In Canada, my family and I have never had difficulty getting treatment and surgery when needed. My dad had chest pain one night and went to the emergency at the hospital. The next day he had a triple bypass, and the bill was $0. I can’t say from first hand experience about surgery because I’m thankfully quite healthy.

meningreentights

Superior Member
Media
I don’t know about the system in Scotland. In Canada, my family and I have never had difficulty getting treatment and surgery when needed. My dad had chest pain one night and went to the emergency at the hospital. The next day he had a triple bypass, and the bill was $0. I can’t say from first hand experience about surgery because I’m thankfully quite healthy.

You are very fortunate. Canada is very rich in natural resources, and still young in population explosion. Your country has not tried to fund the world or fight all of its wars. Your nation has money. The USA and UK have bankrupted themselves.

Reactions: Rustyridge

meningreentights

Superior Member
Media
I have a long work related meeting on Sunday. grrr They will serve good food but I don't want to go. The following expresses the reasons I don't like the meetings...
tenor.gif

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I never really had a nightmare job. I've worked around nightmarish people, but never felt the job was nightmarish.