No beard at 35

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Matt73, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Matt73

Matt73 New Member

Hi all,

I will be 35 in a couple of months and I still don't have much facial hair. I have areas of my face that have most growth like my upper lip and my chin but nothing much anywhere else. The rest of what I have is quite sparse (hair follicles seem very spaced apart) and slow to grow.

Basically I absolutely cannot grow a beard. I thought in my 20's I was a late bloomer and things would kick in soon but this hasn't been the case. I haven't bothered my doctor. I'm thinking the reason is because the follicles on my face don't respond to testosterone or byproducts of testosterone that cause facial hair growth in men. Everything else in relation to body hair is fine though (with dick 8" x 5.5" :smile:).

I look about at other guys my age and wonder. I've never posted a question like this to the net before so i'm asking is anybody else on this forum similar to me?

2. SCSea

SCSea Member

I'm 34 and can barely manage a van dyke - the mustache clearly does not connect at the lower lip border, and there's an oddly shaped bare spot directly under the lower lip.

I'm furry elsewhere, though, and apparently had sufficient exposure to testosterone during development. *cough*. In fact, my levels are upper-limit-of-normal for my age, because I *did* ask a doctor about it, and got a fairly inexpensive lab test, under the guise of "reduced libido".

E

3. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    There may also be a genetic factor. For example, many native american men have little if any facial hair. In Mexico, having a moustache is a status symbol because it indicates European ancestry.
    Dave

4. B_bowtie-teen

B_bowtie-teen New Member

Who cares? Facial hair is gross.

I can't grow much either, I hope it stays that way.

5. mikebh

mikebh New Member

Albums:
    Beard density is largely pre-disposed by genetics of your predecessors. I don't know if it's from the maternal or paternal genetics (on the X or Y chromosome) but the current position of the medical community is that follicle density is already more or less decided when you're born. So much like hair restoration, instant weight loss, and all those ads for penis enlargement pills... spending money and time on them is likely to only help the people who sell them, and not you. I would be completely comfortable asking your doctor the question though. He/She is bound to be more in touch with the latest medical information.

If you have concerns about your adrongen levels (male hormones) then they should be able to do a simple blood test to see if your Testosterone and DHEA are within normal range for your age and health. A Endocrinologist might be consulted as well. Your beard (like nearly all secondary sex characteristics) has very little bearing on the ability of your sexual function, and NO bearing on your sex. If you've got XY chromosomes, you're male - so don't have worries about that!

DON'T subject yourself to the self-torture of obsessing about the issue if your doctors say you're fine, Matt. Folk cures and quick-fix cures generally hurt your well being long term; and provide no real results. I'll bet some of the "shave twice a day" dudes would trade places with you in a heartbeat!

All the best!

Mike

6. Charles Finn

Gold Member

Albums:
    my beard is very soft and thick the hair on my head is not oh well
    I love my beard and it is not gross at all i take good care of it

7. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'd consider myself lucky if I didn't have a lot of facial hair. I hate shaving! I have uber sensitive skin (especially on my neck) so every time I shave, my skin gets really red and irritated, and my neck gets bumps. When I have the money to do so, I'm going to get lasar treatment to remove the hair from mid adam's apple down, so I will no longer have to shave there any more

8. 220483

Gold Member

I have a lot of facial hair, a complete beard, and I'm only 25. BUT unlike unabear, I like it, and would never laser it.

about the thread, I think IT could be genetic, or something to do with skin types. APPARENTLY your fortunately for not having a lot and having to shave it daily, apart from that you won't be able to grow a beard. [YOU can always do like MICHAEL JACKSON and pin each separate hair follicle]

9. Matt73

Matt73 New Member

Thanks guys. I know it isn't that much of a problem which is why I never bothered a doctor.

My pubic and body hair remain unaffected (hairy legs and some chest hair). I think sometimes maybe my muscular development may have been affected. In my mid 20's I tried to build myself up with exercises etc but it was very hard work for me and what I did manage to get went away very quickly once I stopped exercising. I don't think I have the same sort of physical stamina that other guys have not that i'm very small though (5'8").

I have to say I *do* find it a kind of blessing. When I shave it takes only 2 minutes (upper lip time and a few swipes of the razor for everywhere else). I look younger than my years because of it as well...

10. svin_renigoth

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    i'm 24 and my facial hair is also pretty sparse. i don't get sideburns, because the hair follicles there have too much space in between them. my cheeks have some hair, but they're otherwise pretty bare. i can get a moustache on my upper lip, a small, triangular 'soul patch' or 'flavor savor' right beneath my lower lip, and a large amount of hair on my chin, what is think is called a 'musketeer' look, or something like that. but even that never gets very dense--so i usually shave it completely off. and then, fortunately and unfortunately, a lot of people that don't know my age will ask if i've just turned 18...
    but i do have a ton of hair on my ams and legs, hair on my hands/knuckles/feet, not too much on my chest (although i do shave my nipples), and if i let my pubic hair grow out, i'd have a jungle down there, as well.

11. JMeister

JMeister Member

As you long as your dick works I would not worry about it.

12. B_inthamood

B_inthamood New Member

If you're genuinely concerned just bring it up at your next physical. Don't even try to make up something-- just tell the doctor what's really bothering you. Also, if others in your family are similar then that's one more reason not to worry.

13. Darkk_Horse

Darkk_Horse Member

Albums:
    Well a good friend of mine can only grow 5 hairs on his chin at 30 years old, he hates it too. I did not even try to grow any facial hair until I was 27 because I knew it would not be full enough (I am a late bloomer) and I didn't want something that looked like crap. But when I got confused with a group of high schoolers, I decided to try to grow something and it worked out, but it took me until that long for the hair follicles to finally get moving. More than likely you don't have a hormone imbalance or anything else that can be 'fixed' with a pill.

Bro, maybe this is it and just learn to accept it. We all have things that we just need to accept about ourselves. It's not easy.

14. Grindin

Grindin Active Member

Albums:
    Good for you dude. You don't have to shave everyday, it's gets annoying after the first couple of days.

15. killerb

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    true - I have several male cousins who are in their 30s & have almost no facial hair & I didn't get anything beyond peach fuzz until I was about 25...

16. LongRod

LongRod New Member

Matt, don't be concerned. Once you get more facial hair you will quickly get tired of it. It is a pain in the neck to take care of. Shaving is a pain in the neck, likewise, trimming or shaping a beard is a hassle, as well. If you don't take care of the facial hair it look very bad. Trust me, it's a lot of extra work that you quickly get tried of.

Draft saved Draft deleted