No Climate Change? My ASS!!!

gigantikok: and here's just a little more information for you guys:

Support Grows for Sun-Climate Link

A striking correlation has been found between changes in the sun’s brightness and changes in global temperatures. One of the problems with any explanation that attributes climate changes to changes in the sun’s energy output is that the output is not large enough by itself to account for change on earth. Several theories have been advanced to explain how changes in the sun can translate into large climate changes on earth.

The New Scientist (July 11, 1998) discusses the recent work of Eigil Friis-Christensen and Knud Lassen of the Danish Meteorological Institute. Their theory says energetic particles from space known as cosmic rays assist in cloud formation. The more clouds, the cooler the earth becomes. Solar winds, according to Friis-Christensen and Lassen, block cosmic rays leading to less cloud cover and a warmer planet.

The article advances two other theories about the correlation between solar activity and climate change. Joaana Haigh, a physicist at Imperial College, London, believes that fluctuations of ultraviolet radiation are the culprit. UV radiation fluctuates three times as much as total radiation throughout a solar cycle. At the point during the solar cycle where UV radiation peaks there is a 2 percent jump in stratospheric ozone levels, raising stratospheric temperatures by 0.5 degrees C. This causes the stratosphere to sink, pushing the hot tropical weather toward the middle latitudes, causing global warming.

Niel Arnold and Terry Robinson, physicists at the University of Leicester, believe that the thermosphere, the earth’s outer atmosphere becomes heated by absorbing both ultraviolet and X-rays from the sun. Fluctuations in the sun’s output could double the temperature of the thermosphere. This warming effect can be carried to lower altitudes speeding up the jet stream by up to 20 percent, changing stratospheric temperatures by several degrees, say the researchers. So far these theories have only been tested using computer models. Empirical tests for some of these theories are being considered.

Javierdude22: Dude, do you have a link to the interview? It reads a bit easier

Javierdude22: [quote author=gigantikok link=board=99;num=1059666572;start=0#14 date=08/07/03 at 21:17:03]
Oh, and Javierdude, OF COURSE your professors are all teaching you global warming.  College professors and teachers in general (especially in largely liberal foreign countries) are NOTORIOUS for being extremely biased to the left.  They are going to preach alot of liberal, leftist enviro-propoganda because it is in their best interest to keep the ludicrous, unfounded theories spreading to younger generations. Political agenda, my man.

To alot of what Javierdude said:  I will repeat, you know nothing about the millions of different variables in weather.  To all of you that are taking data from the last 20 years and claiming they are the hottest decades and blah blah, like i repeat...that is 20 years over the span of millions of years.  What if a 30 year span a few thousand years ago was hotter than this 20 year span you keep bringing up?  You don't know.  You just DON"T know.  There are many other factors to be considered with weather anyway, i.e. El nino, axis tilt, moon position, so on.  Key word, YOU JUST DON'T KNOW.  

I will only begin to consider global warming is not a crock of shit if a record of the temperature of the last 500 years every day had been kept up until now, not just the last damn 2 decades.
[/quote]

05.16.jpg

Gig, maybe the teachers in accredited universities in the US are politically biased, as almost everything is politically biased in the US, but here in Europe that is not the case. We could care less, and especially the professors have little to gain personally from a healthier environement but their own personal health. Not everything is a conspiracy of leftist groups, not everything is left or right, sometimes it is pretty clearcut without any political colour to it. I wasnt even discussing any political side to it, as it is totally irrelevant, but since you bring it up everytime, i'll be more than happy to discuss the political bias of rightwinged politicians in relation to the environment. The link is a lot easier and shorter let me assure you.

About the second paragraph in the quote:
I am very well aware that the climate changes very much over time, induced by natural causes. El Nino comes in a pretty well set time cycle, ice ages come in pretty well set time cycles, the sun's energy changes only on geological timeframes, but on a human time frame the changes are pretty well calculable, as most changes are induced by the changes in sun spots. The intensity of the sun spots are regulated by an 11 year cylce, and the energy from it changes accordingly. That is why every 11 years (last year) we experience very good Polar lights.

Anyway, i know that still many things are not well known, however, some things are very much well known. The rise in temperature is not normal, and can hardly be called natural given the steepness. Data for the last 500 years is known dude, with  lotta gaps in the data though.
Scientists are very much not unanimous on the extent of the influence of humanity on climate. I know that very well. However, all of them admit that the influence is there, some are not sure to what extent. Then i wonder, is it politically responsible to blindly go on the path we have taken 200 years now? Or would it be a bit more resonsible to try to cut down on a few things, as it would be beneficial anyways, cause it would also spare other environmental factors? Lets start with insanely big cars, the notorious SUV's,  that slurp gasoline as if its free. Lets start with cities like Las Vegas and Phoenix, population over a million, but wait, situated in the friggin desert. 'We have airco's for that'. Don't get me started on the state of Florida, without airconditioning it would have melted.

Not everything is a political agenda, i worry about my planet cause i think its the fuckin most beautiful place to be found, and id like future generations to enjoy it.

Some links please take a look at them if you want i used reliable sources, and unbiased ones:

This one is my favourite, Bush admits Global warming is happening read the article, i knew he knew it was happening, but the details are astounding.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/globalwarming/story/0,7369,727202,00.html

NASA affirms a lower temperature rise, if we take precautions. (in response to Senate questions)

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/forcings/senate/qna.html

The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) a government runned dep.

http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/content/Climate.html

The Meteorological Dep of  the UK Govt.
http://www.meto.govt.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2003/pr20030728.html

New Scientist:
http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/climate/climatefaq.jsp

Even an oil multinational like Shell admits to it, and is taking 'precautions'.

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework...ntation_whyjoinshell_speech_reports.html&FC5=

Everyone basically agrees on it. A few scientists don't, but that is logical, there will be disagreement on any topic in the scientific world. I heard a pretty good quote from a friend of mine, in response to Bush ignoring the GW, that:

'There are no jobs on a dead planet'

And ain't that the truth.

gigantikok: [quote author=Javierdude23 link=board=99;num=1059666572;start=20#22 date=08/08/03 at 05:06:41]
Everyone basically agrees on it. A few scientists don't, but that is logical, there will be disagreement on any topic in the scientific world.[/quote]

What do you mean "basically everyone agrees on it"?  Why do you always try to back up your arguments by assuming that everyone agrees with you?  Are you even paying attention to evidence I have searched in favor of my argument?  This is going to be reduced to a "yes"/"no" argument if you don't start paying attention to what I am saying and stop repeating the same stuff over and over again.  Obviously not "everyone" agrees on it because I provided you with a list of 19,000 names that disagree.  Of those 19,000, 14,000 are probably very legitimate names in the field of climatology.  I have provided you with an in depth interview with a highly respected scientist.  Dr. Singer is one of the preeminent climatologists in the US  I can give you his resume if you want it.  Anyway, the point is that temperatures have been rising after a mini-ice age which ended in the mid-1800's.  Since the beginning of the century the most accurate measurements of "global temperatures" seems to indicate that the temperature has risen by .5 degrees.  Not a catastrophe!  Most importantly, if you are leaving a period of profound cold, your temperature change will obviously show an upward trend.  Also, the effects of such an upward trend are benign, i.e. a slightly warmer average temperature in Minnesota is a good thing - longer growing season for more agricultural production, to say nothing of shorter periods of cold and snow.  Will warmer weather mammals migrate north under this scenario?  To be sure.  But where is the catastrophe!

You need to start truly listening to me, Javierdude.  I feel as though your passionate love of the environment and desire to protect it is clouding your true judgment of the facts.  In response to some of the articles you brought up:

[quote author=Javierdude23 link=board=99;num=1059666572;start=20#22 date=08/08/03 at 05:06:41]

This one is my favorite, Bush admits Global warming is happening read the article, I knew he knew it was happening, but the details are astounding.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/globalwarming/story/0,7369,727202,00.html
[/quote]

In regards to your favorite... I never said I don't believe there is some sort of global warming.  I believe that our output is creating a very, very slight change the temperature.  No more than .5%.  Bush probably believes, as I do, that there is an extremely slight warming.  He probably believes that it is something to look into.  This slight warming could perhaps be good for our environment (i.e. warmer seasons, more farming time, less snow).  But I highly doubt he believes "the future is bleak" and that the human civilization is going to parish and die if we don't start living in grass huts and killing zebra.  You also have to remember that Bush is beginning to compromise a lot of his true ideas in an attempt to appeal to the opposing party so he can get reelected.  You really don't know what is going on with Bush, nor does that article really tell us anything.

[quote author=Javierdude23 link=board=99;num=1059666572;start=20#22 date=08/08/03 at 05:06:41]
NASA affirms a lower temperature rise, if we take precautions. (in response to Senate questions)

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/forcings/senate/qna.html
[/quote]

My response to the NASA article is this:

Satellite Data Verified

In a new study to be published in an upcoming issue of the Journal of Geophysical Research, Roger Pielke, along with four other scientists, uses barometer data from weather balloons to construct a temperature record. Temperatures can be determined by measuring barometric pressure (weight of the air above) as weather balloons ascend through the atmosphere. At the ground average barometric pressure is 29.92 inches and halfway through the atmosphere is 14.96 inches. When the air is colder the balloon doesn't have to go as high to reach the midpoint. For every 195 feet farther that the balloon has to rise to reach the atmospheric halfway point, the mean temperature will go up 4.95 degrees Fahrenheit.
Using global barometer data taken from weather balloons Pielke, et al, compiled a temperature record and found no global warming trend since 1979, in agreement with the satellite data. The barometer data goes back to 1973, however. The 1973-1996 data show a warming though it is six times lower than predicted by the NASA climate model. An article summarizing the research can be found at www.nhes.com/currnet_issue/feature.html.

I will admit I didn't bother to look into your articles very much.  I did some light skimming.  They pretty much preach the same nonsense that I have heard with no real evidence.  I've already responded to the NASA article, and a lot of the stuff you've thrown out.  How much more nonsense are you going to throw at me?  

Here's a few more lil tidbits:

IPCC Findings Disputed

The actual impact of carbon dioxide on the atmosphere is 15 percent less than estimated by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, according to a study in Geophysical Research Letters (July 15, 1998 ). The UN panel also underestimated the effects of other greenhouse gases such as methane and nitrous oxide.
Gunnar Myhre of the University of Oslo, Norway, who participated in the study said that "Our results will only change the IPCC estimate of radiative forcing, not the IPCC estimate of temperature change" (AP Online, July 10, 1998 ).

David Letterman, of CBS' Late Show, devoted a July 15 monologue to Vice President Al Gore's recent musings over the causes of the warm weather. "You know," said Letterman, "Vice President Al Gore held a press conference yesterday, and I thought this was interesting, Al Gore said the reason – he's blaming now, global warming – he says, 'global warming is the reason we're presently having a heat wave,' he says. The heat wave right now; global warming. And I'm thinking, 'Yeeeaaah it could be global warming or," Letterman shouts, "maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's the middle of July, it's supposed to be hot." The crowd erupted with cheers and laughter.

The Green lobby has stepped up the political war raging around global warming. The National Resources Defense Council is running ads in Florida accusing Republican U.S. Representatives Bill Young and Dan Miller of "fiddling while Florida burns" by voting to prevent the Clinton Administration from illegally implementing the Kyoto Protocol (The Tampa Tribune, July 15, 1998 ).

The Executive Council of the Canadian Society for Ecological Economics has given a name to the brand of science that seems to prevail in the environmental debate.
In their Policy Options (May 1998 ) they write: "Post-normal science recognizes that scientific facts pertaining to the environment (including climate change) are often uncertain. These need to be supplemented by anecdotal evidence such as traditional and popular knowledge provided by an extended peer community of knowledgeable 'non-experts.' Moreover, the selection of policies is complicated by major conflicts among society's values ... Finally, post-normal science requires an ethic of responsibility from scientists i.e., scientists cannot afford to simply wait for the facts to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt to recommend policy action. Rather, the weight of evidence (with a margin of error much larger than the one tolerated for scientific knowledge) should be sufficient ground to recommend policy action. If error there is, the precautionary principle requires scientists to err on the safe side, as would do an engineer building a bridge: safety first because the stakes are high."

So what is my conclusion?  Global warming could very well be happening.  There is a tiny warming of the planet that we are causing, but never will it be a significant factor in the destruction of the human race as many pro-warming scientists claim.  I do agree that we need to keep a watchful eye, and be ready, but I don't agree that our current lifestyle will fry us and turn us into toasted marshmallows.  It is simply unfair for certain scientists (trying to make money and sell books) to try to freak people into a primitive lifestyle by making outrageous claims about the earth's eminent doom as a result of gasses.  Javierdude, we are not going to save the earth by scaring people into riding bikes and so on.  
And ain't that the truth.
[/quote]
Yup.  It sure is. :)

P.S- Are you even sure the Earth needs that much saving?

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=gigantikok link=board=99;num=1059666572;start=0#14 date=08/07/03 at 21:17:03]Many people 1000 years ago very convinced through theorizing and charts and so on that the world was flat.  They thought they were so right.  They weren't were they?  The earth APPEARED to be flat, but it wasn't.[/quote]
Actually, Washington Irving invented the story of the flat earth. Most maritime peoples already knew the world was round; its curve's apparent (It's called a horizon.), and what else could cause the moon phases? In fact, many American Indians already agreed with Galileo while the Church was persecuting him.

There are plenty of other mistakes in science, though; none is more famous than Ernst Haeckel, but TD Lysenko's batted around as an ad hominem quite a bit too.

gigantikok: whoops, accidently posted something i didn't mean to. I modified it to show this message, but i am unsure of how to completely erase a post.

Javierdude22: [quote author=gigantikok link=board=99;num=1059666572;start=20#23 date=08/08/03 at 08:30:35]

What do you mean "basically everyone agrees on it"?  Why do you always try to back up your arguments by assuming that everyone agrees with you?  Are you even paying attention to evidence I have searched in favor of my argument?  This is going to be reduced to a "yes"/"no" argument if you don't start paying attention to what I am saying and stop repeating the same stuff over and over again.  Obviously not "everyone" agrees on it because I provided you with a list of 19,000 names that disagree.  Of those 19,000, 14,000 are probably very legitimate names in the field of climatology.  I have provided you with an in depth interview with a highly respected scientist.  Dr. Singer is one of the preeminent climatologists in the [/quote]

Ok, this has taken enough of my time so i'll keep it short. Dude, i am not even gonna begin to respond to a claim for a yes/no answer as you happily admit you don't even care to look at evidence of any opposing theory. It is pretty rude to start asking fo answers yourself then, as i am still having trouble  staying awake after reading your interview. You throw the argument in my face that i use sceintists that wanna sell books?!?! Good one, you quote scientists that wanna sell books all the time dude, i quote independant media and scientific agencies. How do you expect me to still respond to claims you made when you could care less on opposite claims?

[quote author=gigantikok link=board=99;num=1059666572;start=20#23 date=08/08/03 at 08:30:35]

which ended in the mid-1800's.  Since the beginning of the century the most accurate measurements of "global temperatures" seems to indicate that the temperature has risen by .5 degrees.  Not a catastrophe! [/quote]
And you have the knowledge to claim it is not a catastrophe? Impressionate! The jit in any discussion is to also read into opposing theorys (in your case, the case fór global warming), cause then yoy would have known that temperature did not stop to rise simply cause we turned a century, upto 2100 we're in for a treat.

Also, the effects of such an upward trend are benign, i.e. a slightly warmer average temperature in Minnesota is a good thing - longer growing season for more agricultural production, to say nothing of shorter periods of cold and snow.
Dude, theres more to this world than Utah or Minnesota. Ever heard of a steamy place called the Sahel? I'm sure they will be happy with a bit more heat. Spain and the rest of the Meditteranean? Desertification. Theres a lot more to this than the US.   

In regards to your favorite... I never said I don't believe there is some sort of global warming.

O but you did.

I believe that our output is creating a very, very slight change the temperature.  No more than .5%.

Because data from upto now is showing that. So you feel we stopped warming up?

Bush probably believes, as I do, that there is an extremely slight warming.  He probably believes that it is something to look into. This slight warming could perhaps be good for our environment (i.e. warmer seasons, more farming time, less snow).  But I highly doubt he believes "the future is bleak" and that the human civilization is going to parish and die if we don't start living in grass huts and killing zebra.

Maybe you need to start reading what i have actually stated and stop exaggerating.

You also have to remember that Bush is beginning to compromise a lot of his true ideas in an attempt to appeal to the opposing party so he can get reelected.  You really don't know what is going on with Bush, nr does that article really tell us anything.

Gig, let's be honest here. You didn't read the article, nor do you really care what is in it. That's ok with me. You do understand though that it is the pot calling the kettle black to be starting on clouded judgement then. And those opposing ideas are electiontalk. Kyoto was also supposed to go through in his 2000 election campaign. Maybe he just saw a Japanese word and thought, the hell with it.

I will admit I didn't bother to look into your articles very much.  I did some light skimming.  They pretty much preach the same nonsense that I have heard with no real evidence.

What a surprise  :-/ i'll tell the UN, Shell, Nasa, and basically every other forerunning institution that they are wrong.

IPCC Findings Disputed

The actual impact of carbon dioxide on the atmosphere is 15 percent less than estimated by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, according to a study in Geophysical Research Letters (July 15, 1998 ). The UN panel also underestimated the effects of other greenhouse gases such as methane and nitrous oxide.

If you would read any of the links provided to you by other posters, you would have known that the information from 1998 has long gone been added, and that the latest data still show the same prediction. [/quote]

David Letterman, of CBS' Late Show, devoted a July 15 monologue to Vice President Al Gore's recent musings over the causes of the warm weather. "You know," said Letterman, "Vice President Al Gore held a press conference yesterday, and I thought this was interesting, Al Gore said the reason – he's blaming now, global warming – he says, 'global warming is the reason we're presently having a heat wave,' he says. The heat wave right now; global warming. And I'm thinking, 'Yeeeaaah it could be global warming or," Letterman shouts, "maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's the middle of July, it's supposed to be hot." The crowd erupted with cheers and laughter.

i'll add 'laughing crowd' to the pile of evidence. As much as i like David Letterman, i won't go into this.

The Executive Council of the Canadian Society for Ecological Economics has given a name to the brand of science that seems to prevail in the environmental debate.
In their Policy Options (May 1998 ) they write: "Post-normal science recognizes that scientific facts pertaining to the environment (including climate change) are often uncertain. These need to be supplemented by anecdotal evidence such as traditional and popular knowledge provided by an extended peer community of knowledgeable 'non-experts.' Moreover, the selection of policies is complicated by major conflicts among society's values ... Finally, post-normal science requires an ethic of responsibility from scientists i.e., scientists cannot afford to simply wait for the facts to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt to recommend policy action. Rather, the weight of evidence (with a margin of error much larger than the one tolerated for scientific knowledge) should be sufficient ground to recommend policy action. If error there is, the precautionary principle requires scientists to err on the safe side, as would do an engineer building a bridge: safety first because the stakes are high."

This is basically what i said. They should bet on the  safe side.

So what is my conclusion?  Global warming could very well be happening.  There is a tiny warming of the planet that we are causing, but never will it be a significant factor in the destruction of the human race as many pro-warming scientists claim.  

Dude, first you claim there is no GW and that we are cértainly not causing it. Now there is GW and we are causing it?!

I do agree that we need to keep a watchful eye, and be ready, but I don't agree that our current lifestyle will fry us and turn us into toasted marshmallows.  It is simply unfair for certain scientists (trying to make money and sell books) to try to freak people into a primitive lifestyle by making outrageous claims about the earth's eminent doom as a result of gasses.

That is the alknown Republican exaggeration. 'Americans don't want to change their lifestyles'. God forbid that you turn of the airconditioning for a few days when its 80 degees. God forbid you should take out your bike for that 5 mile ride to work.

P.S- Are you even sure the Earth needs that much saving?
Yeah man, i'm sure.

gigantikok: Oh, the scientist I provided you an interview with I happen to believe is writing books to educate the masses against the spread of global warming ignorance. He's making cash off of it, but I happen to believe he's right. Better to sell books that don't scare the bejesus out of people, and make them think they are going to fry in the next 50 years, then make money off of unfounded claims and exaggerations. Because you will never admit it, Javierdude, but the argument that this world will burn to a crisp in 100 years is a ridiculous exaggeration.

Who am I to erase years of false climatology drilled into your head by liberal professors? (I know you are going to quote me and declare I am bringing politics into this, but whatever) Oh, and sorry for wasting your goddamn time (YOU BROUGHT UP THE TOPIC... in a very obnoxious way might I add ..."NO CLIMATE CHANGE?!?! MY ASS!!!!") Either way, I went back and reread your articles, read some more articles on the other side of the topic, and I am happy to inform you that I still don't agree with you. I should just kinda stay away from arguments on the "Etc. Etc." section because I don't think anyone usually ends up with their minds changed. I will state my opinion as I did before. Global warming is tiny/miniscule at best. If there is global warming, it will not escalate to a level that will destroy the human race. There are millions of different variables in the weather we do not understand that could also be affecting an upward trend. It's just not a big deal, so, chill out. (pun not intended)

Do you honestly expect millions of people to stop buying cars and start riding bikes? Do you expect the whole world to stop using electricity, and start living in teepees? That assumption is more than ludicrous.

Science has many tendencies to be wrong, as you so conveniently ignored in your last post. Don't forget the claim in the 60's/70's that we were going through a mini ice age. We, as human beings, still don't understand a lot of things. We still don't truly understand the environment we live in, or the many variables in the weather.

Anyway, this is just becoming a contest to try and get the last word. So, as I expect, you're going to quote little portions of this post to try and make me sound stupid while ignoring other portions that make good points. Have fun, Javierdude, I think I'm done with this argument. I have presented my argument very well, and there is nothing you can do to change my mind.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=Javierdude23 link=board=99;num=1059666572;start=20#27 date=08/09/03 at 01:55:30]Dude, theres more to this world than Utah or Minnesota. Ever heard of a steamy place called the Sahel? I'm sure they will be happy with a bit more heat. Spain and the rest of the Meditteranean? Desertification. Theres a lot more to this than the US. ??[/quote]
Even Alaska would flood, the West Coast would have El Nino, and the South would turn into a jungle (including malaria). The Great Plains would have temperate winters, but even-hotter summers (and that means more brushfires). Hawaii would in time flood, and get incredibly hot. All coastal cities would turn into Vienna (or Atlantis ;) ).

gigantikok: Hypothetically, if the polar ice caps were to melt somehow (definately not saying they will), would it really flood the world to the degree that certain climatologists always say it will? Always sounded a bit far fetched that a few ice caps, as enormous as they are, could flood most of the cities in the world. Not real way scientists could know how much flooding there would be with the ice caps gone, anyway. Just a question, not an argument.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I'm sorry, guys. I think this thread has degenerated far enough. I wanted to take in an interest in the research and studies shown thus far, but you two keep going back and forth at each other like some angry hens. It's distracting to say the very least, and knowing that I have to click the past ONE HUNDRED entries just to get over all the squabbling going on here...

...not cool, men, not cool.

Gigantikok, if you're still scarred by the propangandist insinuations of your past, see me in a few years. I'll be a licensed therapist by then and we can talk about it while you suck your thumb in my office chair all you want, man. Or hell, we can start now. I need to whittle down some supervised hours anyway.

I know you get particularly offended when someone drags Bush into the fray, so with respect to how much you hate it when authorities mess with your minds... well, Bush did a damn good job of clouding the public with his intentions and measures "in the name of American security, freedom, values," etc. ad nauseum.

But you're not blasting him. In fact, it seems like we're attacking and invalidating each other's parenthetical references. I can't say I have all the data or the answers, which might be why I'm down for recycling when I can and walking to work. Small steps, small steps.

Let people who have nothing better to do with their time duke it out over the issue. Conservation and preservation are philosophical environmental measures worth pursuing, if anything, for the posterity of future generations (yes, I buy into that, thanks.); and hell, I can appreciate some greenspace while I'm still alive, because in a few centuries, I might not even have the adequate land with which to be buried in.

I'm sorry that all came out. I'm just pissed to read a bunch of mindless squabbling. It would be a little more entertaining if you guys slung mud pies and called each other "doodie heads."

gigantikok: SO i'm the only one at fault here? Thanks Dee for making me appear to be someone with extreme social issues, very kind. Thank you very much for not even touching upon how childish Javierdude has been aswell. I have a good argument, i presented it as thus, period. No need to attack me.

Bringing Bush into this was a low blow. Not very cool, Dee. Maybe you felt as though he messed with your mind, but I happen to agree that he went to war "in the name of American security"...among other things. If he has emotionally scarred you, that's your business.

And once again, you are going to attack me for saying. But thank you for so conveniently not attacking Javierdude (who has been just as childish); funny how he so conveniently happens to have similar political opinions such as yourself. I guess someone who agrees with you doesn't deserve to be dragged through the mud.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Re-read the first and the final paragraphs. I specifically say "guys," "you two," "back and forth," "some angry hens," and "squabbling." Those references insinuate that it took two to make a mess of things in this thread -- you and Javier.

I singled you out though because, if you look through this thread, every time someone makes a comment to help fuel the discussion, you're a little more caustic in bashing somebody. Javier's readings were found to be a little more in perpetual disbelief, i.e. "How can you say we're not experiencing global warming when _______?" You would respond by bashing his sources and doing everything but calling him a complete and utter moron, it seems. (Mind you, I said "seems." Someone probably reads and understands your posts differently.)

But when you start pointing at people and information and calling it conspiracy... I couldn't take you seriously anymore.

gigantikok: Actually, youre right Dee.  I guess I got too carried away.  It was really no way to handle an argument.  I'm just really defensive with my opinions.  I shouldn't be, and I shouldn't be offending people in the process.

I'm here to make friends not enemies.

Longhornjok: I have read Bjorn Lomborg's book THE SKEPTICAL ENVIRONMENTALIST and found it well-researched and compelling. However, I deliberately chose not to insert myself into this particular thread up to this time, specifically because I have found certain posters to be incredibly intolerant and virulently dismissive of anyone who disagrees with them when it comes to any thread with a political bent. This strikes me as odd because some of these same posters are perfectly pleasant and egalitarian in debating pov's on non-political topics here. I enjoy a healthy debate; I say state your case, cite your evidence (if it's topical), but respect the other person's right to hold a different opinion without labeling them as ignorant or a shill for some political agenda.

gigantikok: i'll have to take a look at this book. It sounds very interesting. Thanks for bringing it up.