No desire

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Hey guys and gals! I have an embarassing question for ya'll (embarassing for me that is). I have been taking anti-depressants for the last 10+ years, and I know that they can effect one's sex drive.... My problem is that I have little or no actual desire to have sex. Don't get me wrong, I am just about as horny as a 25 year old man can get, its just that I don't really have much desire to have sex (which bothers me greatly). Every once and awhile, I get hit with the strong desire to find a woman and screw like there is no tomorrow, but literally within a matter of minutes the desire is gone. Does or has anyone had this experience before? Is it the anti-depressants? Looking for serious help/advice on this matter. If you don't want to post it on the thread please private message me.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
If you're taking MOA's that's pretty much normal. I'd check with a couple of other physicians whose specialty is depression and discuss the possibly of changing your meds. By the way Wellbutrin, which is the same crap they use for smoking cessation, can eventually lead to having no libido. Fortunately, once you quit taking the stuff, your libido returns.

Good luck with that. By the way, you should never feel embarrassed by "that" question.

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
thanks mlbear. like i said, I have no problem in the hornyness department, its just a lack of desire for sex. Mind you I really want to be out there playing the field (so to speak) its just when it comes to going out searching for a hook-up or whatever, the desire is not there. I know that there is nothing wrong with me physically (as I get hard many times a day, masturbate, and ejaculate normally), so it has to be something in my head. What is the difference b/t libido and sex drive or are they one in the same? I've always had it in my head that when you have a low libido/sex drive, then you can't perform i.e. erectile disfunction. BTW you happened to mention Welbutrin....I've been on it and another SSRI (serzone) for the majority of the 10+ years of being treated for depression. Una

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
WEll i must say i'm kinda dissappointed with the response here. Was searching for answers to a serious issue for myself (and i'm sure there are others on here with some of the same issues).

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
hey man i know what you mean i was on antidepressants and had the same problem. seriously talk to your doctor about it because they may change you from MAOI's to something different like SSRI. i can tell you after i got off of them my sex drive slowly came back. not over night but within a year it greatly improved! i hope this helped because i have been there...