Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Other guys can do what they want, but I no longer feel peer pressured into doing “real man” stuff that just isn’t right for me. Let’s start with a special example of peer pressure: how to be a proper pee-er. Women (my mother did this) generally think a guy who doesn’t pee straight is just careless – end of story. That’s not true. These gadgets we have are wonderful, but they’re not perfect. “Aiming” is as much a male art as a skill. Where you’d like the flow to go and where it goes are not always the same thing. (Whether you leave the mistakes where they land or wipe them up is another story.) So I decided years ago that I could care less whether anyone else knows that I sit down to pee when I get up in the middle of the night. I know where it’s going when I sit down. End of story.

Also, I’m 6’4” with very long legs. I’ve never been much for stretching exercises, and the standard U.S. male practice of sitting with ankle on knee is, for me, a stupidly uncomfortable bit of meaningless sexism. At best, my crossing knee points to the sky, and its ankle bone partner hurts. So, years ago, I said screw this and I’ve crossed my legs like a woman (I suppose) or an intelligent 6’4” male. Who cares?

I’m also very grateful that men in our society have learned to hug. I grew up with a hand-shaking father who was the son of a hand-shaking father. My dad is now dead and we never once exchanged a hug. What a waste.

There are lots of other examples of sneseless male taboos in American society. And I’m sure the same holds true in other cultures. There are a few ways I’m glad I’m not young anymore. Worrying about how to pee, how to cross my legs, and whether to show some affection to other men is something I’m glad to have outgrown. If other guys agree or disagree with me it might be fun to see what you think.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Other guys can do what they want, but I no longer feel peer pressured into doing “real man” stuff that just isn’t right for me. Let’s start with a special example of peer pressure: how to be a proper pee-er. Women (my mother did this) generally think a guy who doesn’t pee straight is just careless – end of story. That’s not true. These gadgets we have are wonderful, but they’re not perfect. “Aiming” is as much a male art as a skill. Where you’d like the flow to go and where it goes are not always the same thing. (Whether you leave the mistakes where they land or wipe them up is another story.) So I decided years ago that I could care less whether anyone else knows that I sit down to pee when I get up in the middle of the night. I know where it’s going when I sit down. End of story.

Also, I’m 6’4” with very long legs. I’ve never been much for stretching exercises, and the standard U.S. male practice of sitting with ankle on knee is, for me, a stupidly uncomfortable bit of meaningless sexism. At best, my crossing knee points to the sky, and its ankle bone partner hurts. So, years ago, I said screw this and I’ve crossed my legs like a woman (I suppose) or an intelligent 6’4” male. Who cares?

I’m also very grateful that men in our society have learned to hug. I grew up with a hand-shaking father who was the son of a hand-shaking father. My dad is now dead and we never once exchanged a hug. What a waste.

There are lots of other examples of sneseless male taboos in American society. And I’m sure the same holds true in other cultures. There are a few ways I’m glad I’m not young anymore. Worrying about how to pee, how to cross my legs, and whether to show some affection to other men is something I’m glad to have outgrown. If other guys agree or disagree with me it might be fun to see what you think.

I haven't heard about the aim. I pee. If I get some on the seat, I wipe it up. NO PROBLEM. I haven't known the proper way of crossing legs. I don't cross my legs. Seems unnatural for me. So my legs are together or apart, in conversation. I hug men and women...but only the ones I know well.

I hope that you act natural and be yourself. Life is too short to be anything else. If I acted straight a lonnnnggg time ago...I never would be the person I am today.

HungThickProf

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

You have no idea how proud I am to see this, and how happy I am for you. Be your own man. Do your own thing. As long as what you do doesn't hurt anyone, who gives a crap?! It was very obscene if a woman wore pants, and look at them now. So I say to hell with social norms and the hypocrisy of society. Do you!

oacliffbuddy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Interesting post and on point. I remember in my early teens the struggle about how to cross your legs. When I was alone I'd cross at the knees because quite simply it was comfortable but when someone would venture near I'd automatically uncross and move to the ankle to knee posture. It was less uncomfortable but seemingly more masculine. I don't recall when I finally got over that and started crossing at the knees regardless of who was in the room but I do recall it was empowering!

As for peeing, I go either way. If I get up in the middle of the night, I always sit cuz I'm 90% on sleep autopilot and have no desire on waking up enough to concentrate long enough to hit the target. Besides it's dark and I can't see! If I'm naked around the house I sometimes sit just for grins because it gives me a moment of contemplative space (and it's convenient when the cat comes to greet and love on me:wink:)

My family was never demonstrative so we never hugged. When I moved out and into the gay community that changed. It seemed the gay boy's preferred manner of greeting and parting company was a big hug. I suppose we were making up for all the lost opportunities for simple non-sexual male contact. I enjoy the act of hugging. It's a fulfilling and bonding experience. Where it sometimes gets a tad awkward is when I'm among straight acquaintances and I forget that they're straight and automatically open my arms for a hug. Then you can't decide to quick switch to a handshake or force the hug. Fortunately that hasn't happened too often and one of my straight buds never had an issue with it.