No Obamamania on Networks

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by sargon20, Jul 28, 2008.

1. sargon20

Gold Member

In study, evidence of liberal-bias bias

Cable talking heads accuse broadcast networks of liberal bias -- but a think tank finds that ABC, NBC and CBS were tougher on Barack Obama than on John McCain in recent weeks

But now there's additional evidence that casts doubt on the bias claims aimed -- with particular venom -- at three broadcast networks.

The Center for Media and Public Affairs at George Mason University, where researchers have tracked network news content for two decades, found that ABC, NBC and CBS were tougher on Obama than on Republican John McCain during the first six weeks of the general-election campaign

In study, evidence of liberal-bias bias - Los Angeles Times

So much for Obama's so called 'free ride'.

#1 sargon20, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  2. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Fuck that clown study I seen it with my own eyes and I am a "liberal". You would seriously have to be a fool not to see any bias towards obama in the media coverage.

3. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

I heard a pretty good discussion about this, and most recently, Obama has just had more newsworthy stuff to talk about. Reporters followed along because he made public his intentions to visit Iraq and Europe, to meet with world leaders and military personnel. He's the onee talking about policies and pragmatics, how he plans to negotiate to restore our international presence, and how he wants to proceed with domestic issues. Even with one ear open, I'm still waiting for McCain to talk about substantive issues. He's just not. Seems like everytime the man opens his mouth, he's got an attack for Obama, which really doesn't do much to explicate how he plans to run the country.

I don't think it's a liberal media bias, but rather a predictable response from pretty much anyone who's just tired of listening to someone say the same old hat. I know I'm not going to vote for the guy, but I would sit down and tune in if I knew he was going to go over some steps on fixing health care or preparing for Afghanistan, or talking some other mess besides offshore drilling, since even his own party isn't trying to hitch that up as much anymore. I'm still waiting.

4. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Hindered and rendered impotent by a label that, at its essence, is delusory. Tragic.

5. D_Fiona_Farvel

Agreed.
    Sunday morning I watched McCain's interview with George Stephanopoulos and was floored by two things - his preference for using opinion above fact and his inability to dissect or offer critical analysis on issues of primary importance to voters. McCain is looking more and more like a one issue politician who doesn't have the resources - intellectual, conceptual, experiential, or otherwise - to address the nation's deep issues.

:( I couldn't find a link to video from the episode.

6. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

interesting

wish I could could both the raw data and the analysis

7. ConnerM360

ConnerM360 Active Member

Albums:
    I am in agreeance with Skull mason "fuck that clown study." It isn't liberal bias because it ocurred unbelievably for obama and against hillary. It is Obama is our savior, messiah, king, god bias. Chris matthews who i enjoy watching made a comment that made my jaw drop. He said something along the lines at "look at the soldiers smiling faces as obama visits" or some crummy shit like that. If the bias is waining away its because his whole CHANGE facade is crumbling and he is showing his true self. He is a unique politician JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE!

And in refrence to the above comment. I am a liberal and will be voting with obama however great my distaste because I wont vote for someone against gay rights and abortion. But " intellectual, conceptual, experiential, or otherwise - to address the nation's deep issues." is an incorrect view of mccain perhaps proper from that one interview but he out does obama in so many ways. Someone says McCain don't you think it is wrong to do this with your campaign and he said yes it is. And it wont happen again. (something with general patreas and his advertising). Not to mention mccain goes out in front of people and has open questioning and he answers to his best. Obama needs a teleprompter and writers to help him. He hasn't yet taken mccain up on an offer for a open question debate. Because he is inexperience. Also anyone who reads my post Look into the controversy and bullshit how obama got his senator seat years ago. It was trifling backstabbing bullshit.

8. Penis Aficionado

Gold Member

I used to be a big fan of McCain, but I have to go beyond even what ChockoKittie says and question whether McCain is not entering the early stages of senility. My dad is the same age as McCain, and like McCain, he frequently calls things by the wrong names, gets basic math wrong, and seems utterly unaware of and/or unsympathetic to the changes that have occurred in American culture since the 1950s. My dad is a very intelligent and honorable man, but he is past the point where his capacties would allow him to function as the chief executive of anything larger than his garage. I'm sorry to say I now feel the same way about John McCan.

9. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    Pretty much. Obama is busy talking about his plans for the future while McCain is busy talkinga bout Obama. Everytime I see McCain on TV, every other word out of his mouth is " Senator Obama this and that.......the surge...".

Seriously? Does he not have any other platforms but war? Anyone can get in office and keep a war coming.

But to get back on topic, what sensible "news" network would spend a significant amount of time on McCain. They would have horrible ratings.

Maybe I'm reaching here, but does anyone else notice that little Bush-esque smirk after every little trope, sophism, and punchline ?

10. D_Fiona_Farvel

McCain has yet to impress me with his command, knowledge, or conscientious public dissection of any vital issue facing the U.S., and to be fair, either has Obama.

They will never address people in an open forum, McCain does not do that and I do not care what it seems like - he doesn't - they screen every person who attends his "open" discussions. If faced with real confrontational political discourse, McCain, Obama, and 99% of other politicians would be lost and revert to their prepared answers because we do not challenge them, instead we revere and give unearned respect to people who do everything but their job, which is to work for us, to our benefit.

I noticed this on Sunday.
    There are people in a hell of a condition right now, why must all of his points end with a chuckle or smirk?

#10 D_Fiona_Farvel, Jul 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  11. Notaguru2

Gold Member

So, McCain calls Obama out and dares him to go to Iraq. Obama goes to Iraq, Germany, Afghanistan, and France... of course the media is going to cover it. Where was McCain when Obama was speaking in Germany in front of 250k people? He was talking to reporters in the CHEESE isle of a grocery store!!!

You can't plan this stuff people =)

12. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    You've got to be kidding. I've seen at happen twice that McCain's teleprompter was not working and the man turned into a blithering idiot. He couldn't speak from memory or make it up as he went along. I don't think he is necessarily too old. Other 72 year olds could certainly have the sharpness and flexibilty to be POTUS. I just think in his case, the dementia is setting in and in a few years time it will become more evident.

As for media bias, I agree with the other posters... Obama is more newsworthy. Meeting with world leaders, going to Afganistan and speaking in front of 200,000 Germans is more interesting than a campaign event at a cheese factory.

13. sargon20

Gold Member

I think the bias refers to the type of coverage Obama is getting. During the primaries researchers found that 64% of statements about Obama were positive, but just 43% of statements about McCain were positive.

Now it's reversed during the evening news, the majority of statements from reporters and anchors on all three networks are neutral, the center found. And when network news people ventured opinions in recent weeks, 28% of the statements were positive for Obama and 72% negative.

Expect this trend to continue. The newscasters and their corporate bosses do not want a democrat to win. That might affect the 'regulatory landscape'. Mergers. Taxes. You name all the things that matter to corporate business.

14. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    why the hell all the talk of bias. I can't count the number of webpages only showing pictures of Obama. Why it would be wrong for one media form to be biased in one direction and then other media outlets be approved by being biased in the other direction. Just because you do news on tv or websites should not matter. If someone wants to push one person over the other it should be there decision not the publics.

15. sargon20

Gold Member

Website popularity is not media bias. It's website popularity.

bi·as (bī'əs) http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/pron.gif
    n.
    1. A line going diagonally across the grain of fabric: Cut the cloth on the bias.
      1. A preference or an inclination, especially one that inhibits impartial judgment.
      2. An unfair act or policy stemming from prejudice. <--- this is what the study was researching. We all know Fox News is squarely in this area.
    2. A statistical sampling or testing error caused by systematically favoring some outcomes over others.
    pop·u·lar·i·ty (p&#335;p'y&#601;-l&#259;r'&#301;-t&#275;) http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/pron.gif
    n. The quality or state of being popular, especially the state of being widely admired, accepted, or sought after

#15 sargon20, Jul 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  16. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

And now, some of the same people who were accusing him of having no international experience are now saying Obama is wasting his time "campaigning overseas." (Nothing in the news or anything that I know of, just people I talk to or see on a regular basis.)

17. saabman

saabman New Member

I don't need to read any more posts. This second one says it all - I totally agree.

18. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    Of course the media coverage favors Obama. Who really wants to watch McCain stumble all over his words ?

19. Shelby

Gold Member

What kills me is listening to right wing radio tripping all over itself trying to find a way to bring him down.

This from a conservative no less.

20. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

There's a group on YouTube called "The Young Turks." One of the hosts, Cenk Uygar, offers a lot of critical McCain analyses. Under TYT there is a good bit of recent footage featuring McCain getting his political chops handed to him from, among others, Joy Behar, Meredith Vieira, and the same said for some of his surrogates on CNN.

Draft saved Draft deleted