No Smoking

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by black_hung, Jul 7, 2007.

1. black_hung

black_hung Member

The smoking ban in all public places has been in effect here in England, for just under a week. As a non smoker( fucking hate it) it means I can go in a bar/restaurant and not stink of smoke when I leave. If you're a smoker will you be less inclined to go to bars, and what do you think of the ban?

2. ganja4me

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think some places should allow it and some places shouldn't. That would be the most fair way to do it.

3. dong20

Gold Member

4. D_N Flay Table

D_N Flay Table New Member

I think that it is an invasion of peoples rights.

In Hawaii they did that same thing last year.

they made it "illegal" to smoke in public, even out side on a public street.

on the tv and radio they encouraged people to dial 911 if they saw someone smoking.

maybe they should focus a little bit more on the some the other issues going on in that stupid ass state.

5. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

I dont drink or go to bars. If we go out to eat we can go without a cigarette for a couple of hours. The ban goes to far. Today on the news a woman is suing her state because she got sick from a co-workers perfume. To be honest some perfumes and cleaners make me sick. Bleach just kills me. So how far will this go? When will this end? As a society we arent in danger of hitting the Bell Curve anytime soon................:wink:

6. dong20

Gold Member

Susan McBride? This action even has it's own fansite.:smile:

7. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

As a non smoker of course you have the right to not have to be subjected to smoke, as a smoker I have a right to be able to go out and have a cigarette in a properly ventilated area set aside in the venues I support financially. On the whole smokers are sick of being made scape goats, we're blamed for affecting other peoples health, yet these same people are quite happily polluting the atmosphere with cars and will insist that it's not the same - it's exactly the same, air pollution affects everyone and contributes to the break down in the atmosphere - people are much more likely to be affected by skin cancer than they are by lung cancer yet drivers aren't subjected to the same hassle that smokers are.

8. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

I love the smoking ban! I can play darts all night and the air is so much cleaner.

:cool:

9. SteveHd

Gold Member

SpoiledPrincess, tailpipe emissions disperse rather quickly verses an enclosed room. It's not an analogy. Moreover, I'd estimate tobacco smoke is a lot more carcinogenic than vehicle exhaust. I'm aware of some carcinogens being in diesel exhaust but gasoline exhaust is relatively free of them. You'd have to stand directy behind the vehicle to get the same quantity as what's in a "smoke filled room".

10. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Of course non smokers will deny that what they do is damaging anyone else in any way :)

11. sdg475

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm a non-smoker, so the ban doesn't really bother me any bit. On the other hand, I'm not prudish if someone has a smoke next to me, I'll just stand up wind.

12. SteveHd

Gold Member

I think I'm having a deja vu moment.

13. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

You might well be, smokers are constantly getting the shit end of the stick.

14. dong20

Gold Member

This is a typical defensive position taken by anyone who feels their rights are being infringed. I've said before that they are but your continual fallback to vehicle exhausts is predicatble, presumably because as I recall you don't drive? Do you not have another counter agument?

Vehicle exhaust emissioans are simply not a equal comparison in anything other than the most specific terms - for example in the case of a worker spending extended periods, unprotected in close proximity to vehicle exhausts with someone working in a smoke filled environment, eg a bar or restaurant worker. Very few people do the former and they will often wear protective gear, bar workers etc don't usually receive such protection. It's not a well balanced equation.

The leap from from vehicle exhausts to skin cancer as a counter argument is, to be charitable stretching credibility. I asked once before have you been a passenger in a car or bus or airplane? do you eat food and buy produce that has been transported by vehicle - do you go out in the sun? If you do then the argument that because such things are bad, so you should not be 'picked on' as a smoker is somewhat undermined when you try to use it this way.

Of course modern living dictates that we are, for the most part unable to avoid such things but we are able to avoid or reduce unecessary exposure to others, tobacco fumes is one.

Based on what, gut feeling? Certainly not facts. I ask because according to ONS figures from, say 2004 there were 7,363 cases of malignant melanoma and 30,408 cases of Lung Cancer, nearly 40,000 if you add in throat and mouth cancers, which are smoking related. Before you say, but, yes I do know that non-malignant melanoma is about twice as common as Lung Cancer but the mortality rate is minimal and they are easily treated so they tend to be left out of the stats. BTW, Smoking also doubles the risk of contracting some skin cancers as well.

Also, it's not truly a like for like comparision. I found a few studies on the impact of traffic pollution on skin and other cancers. There are plenty more.

http://www.airquality.co.uk/archive/reports/cat02/aeat-env-r-1162.pdf (Pdf sorry)

Quantification of the health effects of air pollution in the UK for revised PM objective analysis (html link to above)
    IngentaConnect Occupational exposure to air pollution and cancer risk among Dani...

Impact of the environment on our health

ONS Stats.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/downloads/theme_health/Cancer2004_firstrelease_final.xls

To loop back; vehicle pollution is a bad thing, a very bad thing and it must be reduced or eliminated. The biggest issue being that we (society) depend on vehicular transportation of some form or another for our day to day existence, I think that's undeniable. When using it as a counter argument, ask yourself what exactly do we depend on smokers for, other than being convenient scapegoats of course?

The main reasons for this ban are threefold; political overreaction, the realisation that liability can be proven and compensation sued for, and the militant intransigence of a great many smokers standing on principle; believing their right to smoke and thus forcibly endangering the health and well being of others outweighed those rights of others, in the majority not be so treated. The reluctance of businesses to take proper steps to created proper, segretated areas is also a major factor In other words it is, in part self inflicted.

Times change, attitudes change, part of that change is that smoking is no longer tolerated the way it was.

15. B_dxjnorto

B_dxjnorto New Member

I welcome it. I was sitting in The Cheesecake Factory restaurant in Caesar's Forum mall in Vegas and some gal was smoking a little cigarillo on the next table. It was making me sick. She was foreign so while I was working up the courage and the simplest words to ask if she could put it out while I enjoyed my meal, her meal arrived and she quit long enough for me to finish eating.

The way I see it clean air has the precedent because it is normal. Notwithstanding the condition of our atmosphere. We live in a giant fishbowl. The smaller the fishbowl (indoor venue) the bigger the pollution. If smokers could wear a helmet of some sort indoors that would confine the smoke to their person. And those stupid ashcans they put beside entrances that are supposed to put out the cigarettes, but all they do is smolder. Hate those.

16. SteveHd

Gold Member

SpoiledPrincess, the "end of the stick" has turned around. You're going to have to deal with the fact you live in a Republic: majority rules, the rights of a minority get trampled upon.:biggrin1:

17. dong20

Gold Member

Actually, Steve, SP lives in the UK. But the same principles can apply.

18. No_Strings

Gold Member

The world needs more smokers like you.

That is, until we rid the planet of all smokers entirely! :tongue::saevil:

19. crescendo69

Gold Member

I've been brush-burned, too. And I have drunk ashes from soda cans that somebody used as an ashtray. I have endured cigar smoke on a plane, when it was legal, as I progressively got sicker and sicker. I've had people light up in my car wiyhout asking permission. I've seen guys want to light up after sex rather than cuddle.

I don't have any pleasurable connotations with smoking. But I don't see a big problem with smoking areas or outside smoking. It normally doesn't bother me to hang with smokers if they are considerate of others.

20. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I am a smoker. I think the bans are rediculous. I think the bar/restaurant/establishment owners should be allowed to decide for themselves whether or not they should allow smoking. I have a very good friend that owns a great restaurant/bar in town, and I know that he would allow smoking if given the option... at the moment, there are no smoking bans, but they are working on some. I think it's obnoxious. I can't imagine the dent it will make in his profits if the ban goes through.

Draft saved Draft deleted