No straights allowed

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Shelby, May 29, 2007.

1. Shelby

Gold Member

2. CPearl

CPearl New Member

3. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer New Member

I've never walked in the shoes of a gay man that's been harassed and abused by a bigoted portion of the population, so I'm not going to stand on a soapbox and say "equal rights for straights". The story hints at past issues of ridicule and perhaps even violence towards the bars "core patrons", so maybe they thought this was an easier solution than calling the police 5 times a weekend.

I'm guessing it's one of those rules that won't be enforced unless you prove to be a troublemaker. Clubs are in business to make money, so someone who wants to fill a chair and not cause any trouble will most likely be allowed entry, although I'm just speculating.

4. mindseye

Gold Member

I'm not up on Australian politics, so I have no comment on the particular story, but I think our members can differentiate between government-protected rights -- freedom from discrimination and harassment in the workplace, equal access to the benefits of marriage, etc. -- and the actions of a privately owned club.

Blacksburg, like many other cities, has a women's-only gym which Shelby has never ever exploited to make a half-baked point.

5. geek0

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Ive been to a few gay clubs that are selective about who they allow in the door anyway, ive seen straight people turned away many times, its a shame for those who would go in and happily have a good time but i understand that on the other hand this is the only sanctuary some gay people have to go and be themselves without fear of what anyone else is thinking or what their reaction will be, while the world has moved on in attitude it hasnt come nearly as far as it should .

6. Blocko

Blocko Member

The problem was really getting out of hand and ruining the environment for the patrons. It got a fair bit of TV coverage... in the end, this is not a ban on straight people, it's the right to refuse entry to people they think are going to cause trouble and destroy the carefully constructed business of the owner.

I imagine they'll only turn away rowdy bucks and hens nights or pub crawls of obviously straight people fresh off a party bus.

7. SteveHd

Gold Member

"Equal rights" doesn't apply to private organizations. Per U.S. Supreme Court ruling, the Boy Scouts of America can ban queers, so I say the bar ban straights.

8. Blocko

Blocko Member

Of course, U.S. Supreme Court rulings don't apply in Australia, haha.

9. Shelby

Gold Member

I think anytime so called victims demand special rights not granted their so called oppressors they are hypocrites.

10. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

I am so straight I was barred from following the link.

11. Matthew

Gold Member

Wow, Shelby, you have uncovered a devastating example of how hard life is when you're heterosexual! Damn oppressive faggots!

lmao

12. Blocko

Blocko Member

Not even a little kink?

13. Rick P. Silent

Rick P. Silent New Member

I cannot decide whether or not the doorman who is responsible for checking IDs is in an enviable position or not.

14. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

Sorry guys but I'm with Shelby and in retaliation for this heinous insult to the downtrodden straight community, I am going to lobby for gays to lose their long held right to Marry, adopt, leave their pensions to their partners, wear boring clothes and sing like Barbara Streisand.

:moon: :nutkick:

15. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer New Member

How does wanting to have a few drinks without having some redneck scream "faggot" in your ear all night make you a hypocrite? Also, if you re-read the article, there is no mention of the actual patrons petitioning for the change, only the ownership. The patrons may have exercised their right to not go to this establishment, and the proprietor is taking corrective measures to get his client base back.

16. perthjames

perthjames Member

Not yet, anyway.

17. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Thanks for stealing my thunder, Mindseye!

True enough regarding the USA, but our Supreme Court has no jurisdiction in Australia. Of course, my personal opinion is that the BSA can design its own rules, but should lose its non-profit status.

As for the Australian club, I would hope that if it is a privately-owned business/club, it also has the right to set standards for its members or clientele.

18. Blocko

Blocko Member

Haha, I actually deleted "yet" from the end of the post. :smile:

19. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

So sorry someone demanded the special right of not being beaten or killed because of how someone perceives their orientation. Shame on those pushy queers.

Don't forget to include, for my legal state of residence, the right to form a legally binding contract of any kind.

20. SteveHd

Gold Member

That wasn't my point.

Draft saved Draft deleted