No voting rights for college students?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_VinylBoy, Mar 8, 2011.

1. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Seriously, how do these people get elected?

In a recent speech, New Hampshire state House speaker William O'Brien called student voters foolish and implied that they only vote liberal because they lack life experience, reports the Washington Post. In an address to a tea party group in Rochester, O'Brien spoke about proposed updates to New Hampshire voting laws, including a bill barring election day registration and one requiring students to declare residency prior to elections if they intend on voting in their college towns. Although supporters of the reform contend that it is intended to reduce voter fraud in the state, some critics fear that the new laws target college students -- a concern that was heightened when footage showing O'Brien accusing students of "voting with their feelings" went viral. - New Hampshire House Speaker William O'Brien Says 'Foolish' Students 'Vote With Their Feelings'

So because the youth vote doesn't go the way you want, we should just prevent them from voting altogether? Gee, didn't some of the conservatives try a similar stunt with ACORN? :rolleyes:

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

How ironic that the state slogan for New Hampshire is "Live Free Or Die."

3. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

Whatever side of the political spectrum you hail from, there is no justification in removing the vote from a person, who are indifferent to your beliefs, or who are young, just as long as you meet the age of majority in your chosen land / country.

The very basis of having a vote, is making sure that person has a say in how your country etc is ran, and is a founding principle of many countries around the world, the USA especially.

However, I personally believe and feel (Like shown in another thread, concerning some classes of convicts in UK jails being refused the vote), that if you break the law, you loose your right to vote, though there are some debate as to where you set that bar.

What's next, banning all gays the right to vote???

4. phillyhangin

phillyhangin New Member

Albums:
    By O'Brien's arguments, rich conservatives are "foolish" and only vote conservative because they lack the life experience of people who don't enjoy the privileges of being rich (often as the result of economic exploitation by these same conservatives). Maybe someone should introduce a bill to strip them of their voting rights...

No, I agree with stanmarsh14 - just because they don't agree with me, doesn't mean they shouldn't vote.

5. houtx48

Gold Member

I have come to the conclusion that the Republicans are trying to be just a bizarre as they can be and create turmoil as a smokescreen to confuse their own base as well as the opposition. I know I can hardly wait to see what kind of horse shit they pull next.

6. DevonTexas

DevonTexas Well-Known Member

Albums:
    This country needs a real home-grown revolution

Draft saved Draft deleted