No You Pee in A Cup

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sargon20, Jan 9, 2012.

1. sargon20

Gold Member

It is about time:

The past year has seen an unprecedented waveof Republican bills to drug test the poor and jobless. It also saw a smaller wave of Democratic bills that said in response, "No, you pee in the cup."

Dems Fire Back At GOP Proposals To Drug Test Jobless: 'You Pee In The Cup'
    The trend started in Florida, the only place where the local government actually followed through with welfare drug testing -- at least until a federal judge ruled it a
    flagrant violation of the Constitution's ban on unreasonable search and seizure four months after the policy took effect. During that brief period, a mere 2.5 percent of welfare applicants tested positive for drugs.
    Lawmakers will undoubtedly now backtrack since it would be next to impossible to hold themselves to the same standards they demand of others.

2. 1kmb1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    ill piss in a cup, its not really a big deal.

3. aninnymouse

Gold Member

Why is it the government's business what people do in their private lives?

Also, where will it end. Will they want to just test for illegal substances, or legal ones, too?

What's the difference between someone who likes to partake of Marijuana every now and then, and a Soccer Mom who has prescriptions for Tranquilizers?

4. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Ya, I don't see what's so bad about it? :confused:

Many companies are requiring drug tests prior to hiring and randomly throughout employment.

5. 1kmb1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    because theyre breaking the law.

that would be the prescription.

6. B_Jingoist

B_Jingoist New Member

Because the government is giving them money.

7. Kotchanski

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm actually in favor of drug testing those receiving benefits, I wasn't years ago, but I am now.

Where I lived previously, there was a couple, a year or two older than my husband and I. They had 3 children and were on benefits.

Neither of them looked for work, in fact that bragged about how they worked the system, getting a manual labor job the week before you're forced into either some form of training or a volunteer position, you come off benefits the day you get the job, the slate is wiped clean, you get yourself fired and reapply the very next day.

On top of this, both were habitual drug users, her favoring a little weed throughout the day, him crack and anything else he could get his hands on. It was a delight watching him get up of a morning and head to the shop over the road to buy a jar of baby food (for the kids to share!) and a can or two of Fosters...

They would get their benefits, blow it all on drugs, go back to the benefits agency and get given emergency loan after emergency loan, then a bridging loan, then another emergency loan... On the weekends and late at night, they'd phone the out of ours Social Services team to beg for money "to feed the kids" and someone would arrive that night and give them money, which they'd then spend on more drugs.

*I* bought them baby food, powdered milk and nappies because I couldn't sit back and watch what was happening to those kids. Social services and the benefits agency saw them as poor victims and handed them cash as often as they liked. When I stopped helping them with the kids, they attacked my husband, we got no help, when we reported it, THEY got moved to a nicer area by the council and social services to protect them from US, while we still had to deal with all their friends...

Test them all... I've been on benefits, I quit smoking because I didn't think it was right to smoke on someone else's money. They have no right to be using what is now MY money to do anything other than survive and better their situation.

8. sargon20

Gold Member

Nevermind the constitutionality I guess its important to catch those 2.5% (in Florida's cases). Do we even care about the ROI for this senseless effort?

So at $40 a pop for the drug test reimbursed to those who passed, Florida has spent over $280,000 to make sure no one receiving public aid had drugs[THC] in their urine. And by disqualifying the 32 that failed the test, they have saved the State, a whopping $97,000!

9. monel

Gold Member

I think this whole campaign is akin to the little anecdote Ronald Reagan used to like to tell about welfare Mom's going to pick up their welfare checks in the brand new family Cadillac. That turned out to be largely false as, it turns out, does the story about todays recipients spending their money on drugs. Is their an abuse of the system, yes. But it is nowhere near as prevalent as certain politicians of a particular persuasion would like us to believe. Anyway I think it would be a lot more economically beneficial to first close the loopholes that allow the rich, powerful and privileged to bilk the system. If we are so concerned with tax monies being used to purchase illicit drugs, while we are at it we should test every government worker from trash collector up to the President. After all, they all receive our money.

10. Kotchanski

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I can't speak for the US, I'm not over there, so my comments apply to my experiences only, within the UK.

If it was applied for an experimental period, with full disclosure of ALL government agencies handing out money to those who failed, not just the bog standard benefits being received, but the benefit based loans (that are paid back solely out of benefits with no interest at a rate that for many would take years to pay back a sum of less than £500) the social services hand outs, everything... and the figures came back to suggest it was costing substantially more than it was saving, then sure, I might reconsider my position.

My experience however, as limited as it is in the grand scheme of things has me knowing way more people on benefits screwing the system for drug money than I do those who are simply on them while looking for work.

I accept that is just my experience however, and very well may not represent the UK as a whole, and almost certainly not the entire world.

11. houtx48

Gold Member

Was if Florida where they tried this and found one drug user for every twenty tested, or some such thing. It was costing more for the testing than was worth it but it made them feel so superior.

12. B_Jingoist

B_Jingoist New Member

The government isn't obligated to give welfare benefits to anyone, constitutionally.

13. B_Jingoist

B_Jingoist New Member

They do. Government workers get drug tests all the time. Even the military does drug tests all the time.

14. monel

Gold Member

Not all. Certainly not those charged with passing these intrusive and invasive laws. From my own time in the service, I do know that the military test its members regularly. But that was always portrayed as a "readiness" issue, which makes sense. It certainly wasn't because the government wanted to make sure tax money wasn't being used for the purchase of pot.

15. upone

upone New Member

Here's a cup. Pee.

No one has mentioned it yet, but the Florida program required testing by a specific lab, owned by the governor's wife.

16. tamati

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    land of the free, home of the pee test.

17. B_Jingoist

B_Jingoist New Member

I don't know anyone who hasn't had to take a drug test to get hired.

And they aren't intrusive or invasive. As I've said, people don't have the right to welfare.

Even Walmart does a drug test now.

18. B_Jingoist

B_Jingoist New Member

I'm in the Army. We do a random urinalysis every month.

19. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You dont? I see the US is already a police state. Why do you put up with this nonsense?

Thats truly insane. Why dont you all just say no?

20. upone

upone New Member

A lot of Americans, like Jingoist, are sheep who do what anyone richer than themselves wants them to do. I've never taken a drug test for a job. The last time the interviewer told me it was mandatory, I told him that he clearly didn't want me working there.

Draft saved Draft deleted