Nobel Peace Price or Prize?

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Former U.S. Vice President, Al Gore, has just been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his crusade against global warming and environmental sin.

The prize category, created in the late 1800's by Swedish industrialist and inventor, Alfred Nobel, is supposed to be awarded to "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses".

I am happy that Mr. Gore has achieved recognition for his environmental work -- I just don't know what this has to do with the promotion of PEACE, unless it's peace with "Mother Nature."

Do you think Mr. Gore PURCHASED his prize or do you think that it was properly awarded.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Shit! I've hardly been here for a while and didn't see the other thread. That'll teach me for not looking. Don't mind me, I'm still looking for my brain.

So how about them Dodgers?

LA8PV

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
One can argue that this is more an environmental prize than a peace prize - it seems the Nobel peace prize committee has been broadening their arena the past 10 years or so. But I have no doubts that the committee made this decision with no outside influences.

The committee is appointed by the Norwegian parliament, and its members have their own political views, which will of course influence the decision they make, but - as a Norwegian myself - I see no reason to doubt the integrity of the committee members.

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Former U.S. Vice President, Al Gore, has just been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his crusade against global warming and environmental sin.

The prize category, created in the late 1800's by Swedish industrialist and inventor, Alfred Nobel, is supposed to be awarded to "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses".

I am happy that Mr. Gore has achieved recognition for his environmental work -- I just don't know what this has to do with the promotion of PEACE, unless it's peace with "Mother Nature."

Do you think Mr. Gore PURCHASED his prize or do you think that it was properly awarded.
Purchased---did you say purchased? Go away , Go away now!
Flamewar starter! And that is by far the nicest thing I could call you!

DonkeyPants

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think the only arguement against Gore deserving it would be that after Carter won last year and Gore winning today that the Nobel awarding commitee are awarding w's enemies.

But that said, I do believe Gore's work falls into the catagory of holding and promotion of peace congresses and fraternity between the nations. He does seem to be putting a good face on America as he goes about the world.

...I suppose that an arguement could be made that his work is for the "abolition or reduction of standing armies" if polluters can be defined as enemy combatants against humanity who use biological weapons.

LA8PV

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
...how time flies by... I think it's actually 5 years since Carter got the prize - not last year. :wink:

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think the only arguement against Gore deserving it would be that after Carter won last year and Gore winning today that the Nobel awarding commitee are awarding w's enemies.

But that said, I do believe Gore's work falls into the catagory of holding and promotion of peace congresses and fraternity between the nations. He does seem to be putting a good face on America as he goes about the world.

...I suppose that an arguement could be made that his work is for the "abolition or reduction of standing armies" if polluters can be defined as enemy combatants against humanity who use biological weapons.
W is the supreme douche bag of the last century and this new one! He deserves anything he gets. I hate him and his cronies more than Richard Nixon!

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thank you for your comments, LA8PV and Donkeypants.

I was also wondering whether this particular prize has served to politely counterpoint to the "War on Terror".

Other than movies, stupid celebrities and "the war", it seems that Mr. Gore's crusade is the only other American export in recent times.

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Should everything be politically correct, or can one never ask controversial questions and invite debate?
Controversial questions!!!!! You don't know me very well! But you started a thread that was guaranteed to start a flame war! Asshole question to boot!

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Thank you for your comments, LA8PV and Donkeypants.

I was also wondering whether this particular prize has served to politely counterpoint to the "War on Terror".

Other than movies, stupid celebrities and "the war", it seems that Mr. Gore's crusade is the only other American export in recent times.
Their replys were not glowing in your direction!

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You duplicated a post? You naughty girl. Come here for a good spanking.

As for Al. I think he has at least drawn attention to the cause with this win and hopefully he will put the money back into environmental causes. that or buy everybody a Prius. :wink:

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You duplicated a post? You naughty girl. Come here for a good spanking.

As for Al. I think he has at least drawn attention to the cause with this win and hopefully he will put the money back into environmental causes. that or buy everybody a Prius. :wink:
His half is already spoken for! The original group he shared the win with.

Elmer Gantry

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In a slightly related vein, the Australian Federal Police commissioner has copped a lot of flak over the last couple of weeks for claiming that "global warming related issues" will be a major security issue in the medium term future.

What's he thinking of I wonder?

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hello Osiris! I've been away for a while... and a spanking would too much of an award!

Anyhoo, I've been hearing a lot of bickering about Mr. Gore's prize, and I wanted to pose the question to a more International audience. So... I posted.

In my own defense, I will say that I asked a PARTICULAR question, while the other thread was more general. :wink: