Nominations for best film - with a gay content.

Meatn2veg

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Urbania

A dark - and sometimes quite disturbing - film. But so well written and brilliantly acted. I bought the DVD on an impulse, as I'd never even heard of the film, but it was a very worthwhile purchase.

I won't give the storyline away, but the protagonist deserves all the sympathy you start feeling for him...

Mulebear

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Parting Glances. One of Steve Buscemi's first roles. The film was lauded by critics, and received a rating of 80% on Rotten Tomatoes and 7.8/10 on IMDB.

Reactions: Tomas26

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My favorite gay themed movie is kind of old. It was a movie title "Trick" which was from 1999 and Christian Campbell, JP Pitoc, and Tori Spelling. I fell in love with JP Pitoc in that movie.

This film includes one of my all time favourite quotes. One of the guys comes home after doing his drag show all upset because he bombed. The other character says. "I told you not to do Lorna Luft. People just think you're doing a really bad Liza!"

I think it's from this film other than that I don't really remember much (other than the drag queen dressed Like Tori)

Reactions: hunghorse30

HOU_HEADHUNTER

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This film includes one of my all time favourite quotes. One of the guys comes home after doing his drag show all upset because he bombed. The other character says. "I told you not to do Lorna Luft. People just think you're doing a really bad Liza!"

I think it's from this film other than that I don't really remember much (other than the drag queen dressed Like Tori)

I don't remember the exact line but the drag queen in the movie is Coco Peru.

"God's own Country" has several references to Brokeback Mountain, but the setting is the present day and the general attitude to homosexuals and gay sex has changed - even here in the middle of nowhere in rural Yorkshire where the film takes place. One exemple is the scene where the grandmother finds a used condom which our young Johnny and his Romanian migrant-worker-lover have left in a pile of clothes on the floor - and she hardly raises an eyebrow!
I like the harsh British realism, but I also like the fact that the film leaves us with a hope for the future.

I'm pretty sure LPSG-members will enjoy the film's rather long frontal nude scene. ;)
I agree, the ending of 'God's Own Country' was less bleak and punitive than Brokeback. It gives some hope for the future and a sense that being gay isn't necessarily going to end in tragedy. Some homophobes actually see the violent death of Jack Twist in Brokeback as just deserts or as sadly inevitable - it's held up as a morality tale for gays. But as the author Annie Proux commented:

"They can’t understand that the story isn’t about Jack and Ennis. It’s about homophobia; it’s about a social situation; it’s about a place and a particular mindset and morality. They just don’t get it."

D

deleted1074483

Any day now with Alan Cummings

a true story set in the 70s and as much about the way humans treat each other as about gay equality, it moved me to tears, don't want to say too much about it as it would spoil it for anyone who wants to watch, but a truly moving, happy and sad film

and Alan Cummings is amazing in his role too

sundancer

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
A couple more since the last post

"Call me by your name" - Very good story line, about a younger man who has a relationship with a older man.
Call Me by Your Name (2017) - IMDb

"Love Simon" - A cute story, but typical American film, without much of a difficult plot, but good none the less
Love, Simon (2018) - IMDb

7"24

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Shelter is my favorite. First movie that represented someone like I felt like.

Reactions: Tomas26

bwhip1011

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Some recent releases that I've enjoyed:

God's Own Country
4th Man Out
The Way He Looks
Milk
10 Year Plan
(the co-star that plays the cop. Oye!)

Others from Earlier Years:

Trick
Jeffery
The Living End
Kiss Me Guido
Midnight Express
It's My Party
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
And the Band Played On
('93 TV Docu-drama)
...and my favorite - Latter Days 2003, Directed by C. Jay Cox, starring Wes Ramsey, Steve (Max) Sandvoss, and Jacqueline Bisset (soundtrack is great as well)

Reactions: keenobserver

Tomas26

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
If you’re not afraid of subtitles, “Spetters” is a Dutch film from 1980 (the first film, I think, from action/ erotic director Paul Verhoeven) about a group of friends in the motocross world. A few of the guys are sexy, you get to see all their dicks lol, and one of them - the sexiest - has a story about coming to grips with his homosexuality

Reactions: bwhip1011

Infernal

Superior Member
Media
Phoenix, Arizona, United States of America
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

No list is complete without Shelter. Ok, the acting is wooden but the story was enjoyable.

Shelter is one of my favorites. There is also Coffee Date. The acting isn't great, but it's cute and light hearted. A Very Sordid Wedding is fun, but I know one of the actors, so I guess I'm biased.

Reactions: Brodie888