Non-smoker / Smoker relationships

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by earllogjam, Mar 27, 2009.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

If you are a non-smoker can you live with a lover who smokes?

Is smoking a deal killer for you?

2. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    My bf doesn't smoke and he's fine about it but I don't smoke when I'm in his house.

3. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

It would be a deal killer for me... Unless they decide to stop for me :rolleyes:
    I always get a headache when people smoke in the room I am...

#3 D_Jared Padalicki, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  4. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I did for quite a while - we were both smokers when we got together but then I quit in 2002 and had 5 years of being a non-smoker living with a smoker. I must say at the time it didn't really bother me. Certain areas of the house were no smoking zones, he instituted that and kept to it, mostly. But now I have a smoke free home it is so much nicer - I get a lot less respiratory tract infections than I used to, I'll tell you that much for nothing. And with my non-smoking man there's is nothing unpleasant to force myself 'not to mind' when I'm kissing him. He's tastes better all over, in fact.

In short I don't think I'd want to have a partner who smoked now that I'm used to having a partner that doesn't. I think it has become a deal breaker for me.

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

When I have dated people who did not smoke I brushed my teeth a lot, always had breath mints handy and never smoked in their homes. On the flip side I once had a party and instructed the guests that if they were not holding a lit cigarette they had to go out to the terrace!

6. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Well that is nice of you :suspect:

7. overninept5

overninept5 New Member

Albums:
    I am so anti smoking. There is no smoking in my home. EVER. Would not date, kiss, meet, be around a smoker. Yeah, I know, but that's me.

8. CALAMBO

Gold Member

Albums:
    Non-smoker here...would be a deal breaker...cannot be in same area as smoker...i have friends that do smoke...wife smokes pot...not in house...never ever...

9. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I'm fucking a smoker... I think it's disgusting. He smoked in my room when I was too high to care, the smell stuck around for like 5 days after... never again.

It would be a deal breaker for me, I don't want anyone polluting my air.

10. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    there's more to people than their habits, good or bad, if i loved the dude it wouldn't be a deal breaker at all. and anyway i've been known to smoke the occasional cigar or "herbal" cigarette...lol

but i'm not seriously affected by smoke, if u had severe allergies or asthma i could understand if you wouldn't be with a smoker.

PS: i also think cali's smoking laws are extreme and prolly unconstitutional. if they really wanted to do something for the public good, they'd restrict drinking alcohol to ur house only. no driving around from pub to home.

11. ScorpioSlut

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Definitely a deal breaker if it's a regular thing. I have dated a guy who liked to smoke when he was plastered drunk and as long as he didn't smoke in my house then I was ok with it. A lot less kissing when he did though...in my opinion that's a horrible taste.

12. jjsjr

Gold Member

Albums:
    When my partner and I met, he was smoking a pack a day....
    after a year of my nagging and concerns with his health, he was a non-smoker.

He thanks me for it now, but it was annoying. He was genuinely trying to quit, but he worked with smokers. I told him that he wasn't allowed to purchase cigarettes, he had to bum them while quitting. That way he could ween himself off, but they were never right there in his pocket.

I didn't want him smoking in the house, because I was there too.... and as ThadJock mentioned earlier, Delaware also has major anti-smoking laws. No smoking in ANY public building, restraunt, etc!!! :smile:

I could always tell when he smoked at work so I made a goal to acknowledge it each time.

Over time, he cared more for his health and our relationship and learned to cope with the temptations, so now he doesn't smoke. I'm so proud of him!!!

#12 jjsjr, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  13. B_dxjnorto

B_dxjnorto New Member

Yeah, it would be a deal breaker for me. I am less tolerant of cigarette smoke as an ex-smoker than I probably would be if I had never smoked. I developed allergies in my twenties too. Just can't breathe around it anymore. Second hand smoke is worse because it is not filtered and you can't anticipate getting a hit. It's just something to avoid.

14. Earthbound

Earthbound Member

Deal breaker. I have friends/coworkers who smoke, but I avoid visiting their homes and riding in their cars. I would never, EVER get into an intimate relationship with a smoker. And that includes "casual" smokers of "herbs" or anything else.

15. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I could overlook it for casual hookups and one-night stands...but for anything more, her smoking cigarettes was a deal-breaker.

16. earllogjam

Gold Member

Isn't it peculiar that ex-smokers are so sensitive and more disgusted with cigarette smoke than most people who never smoked?

I dislike the taste of cigarettes and burnt smell on someone lips and breath so much so that I go out of my way not to kiss them. I don't think I would be able to have a lover that smoked.

17. neil1972

neil1972 New Member

Albums:
    Being an ex smoker I dont mind being with a smoker unless she was a very heavy smoker then it would put me off. I think sometimes it can be quite sexy, I love smoky blow jobs lol.

18. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I have never smoked, but I wold not pass on a wonderful person due to the fact that they are a smoker.

19. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Thank you Mem, I have been lucky enough to meet Catherine Deneuve, Brad Pitt, Penny Marshall and Lee Grant outside smoking! All of us have discussed why others are alone!

20. dannymawg

Gold Member

Steve Martin - "Smoking"

:biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted