Non-surgical PE making its way into the medical books

Big Al

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I posted this to the "Non-believers" post, but I think it deserves its own thread.

It appears as if non-surgical PE methods are making their way into medical publications: A pilot phase-II prospective study to test the 'ef...[BJU Int. 2008] - PubMed Result

I especially like the last part of that reference: "Penile extenders should be regarded as a minimally invasive and effective treatment option to elongate the penile shaft in patients seeking treatment for a short penis."

If anyone has a link to the reference to Dr. Brian Richards' "Chartham Study" published in the British Journal of Sexual Medicine, it would be most appreciated! I've searched for it for a long time without success (so far).

B_Bonky

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If anyone has a link to the reference to Dr. Brian Richards' "Chartham Study" published in the British Journal of Sexual Medicine, it would be most appreciated! I've searched for it for a long time without success (so far).

I don't have that, but I do have a link to the lawsuit brought by the US government against Chartham's company that sells penis lengtheners. The Gov't said that Chartham was defrauding folks, and apparently won the case:

Chartham Method case - Does Penis Enlargement Work? - Free Penis Enlargement

Big Al

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't have that, but I do have a link to the lawsuit brought by the US government against Chartham's company that sells penis lengtheners. The Gov't said that Chartham was defrauding folks, and apparently won the case:

Chartham Method case - Does Penis Enlargement Work? - Free Penis Enlargement

The lawsuit was brought against the creators of the Chartham line of products, not Dr. Richards.

Let's examine the case. Note the part under CONCLUSIONS OF LAW which state:

Complainant failed to sustain the allegation that respondent falsely represents that the "Chartham Method" (and "Vacuum Developer") incorporates new and significantly different principles from all other methods and products intended to increase the size of the male penis. Dr. Cordaro testified that in all his experience with methods and devices intended to enlarge the penis, he has never seen one incorporating all the elements of the "Chartham Method" and that it may very well be new and different in respect of such combination (Tr. 63, 64). Dr. Richards expressed the opinion that the method incorporates new and significantly different principles from all other methods intended to increase the size of the male penis.

I would also advise you to compare the academic lineage of both of these professionals (items 6 anbd 8 under FINDINGS OF FACT), as well as the part where Dr. Cordaro states:

"...He did not conduct tests or studies of any kind with respect to either product (Tr. 93). Dr. Cordaro testified that he did not do any research in ethical, competent, scientific literature concerning such products "because it is generally well known by anyone trained in medicine or endocrinology that the size and girth, length or other *** aspects or characteristics of the penis cannot be altered by drugs, chemicals or devices" (Tr. 116). The record does not contain any indication that there is anything to be found in such literature concerning the exact products involved in this proceeding."

Also see item 12, which clearly states:

"After the initial measurements, test subjects were instructed in the 'Chartham Method' and told to start practicing it (Tr. 139). Insofar as possible the penis of each subject was thereafter measured, in the method above described, on a weekly basis (Tr. 139, 140). Dr. Richards recorded each measurement. Of the test subjects two dropped out of the test and two achieved no gain in dimensions. Dr. Richards recorded gains among the twenty-eight remaining subjects ranging from 2.4 cm. to 3.6 cm. (.94 in. - 1.4 in.) in length and from 1.4 cm. to 3.1 cm. (.55 in. - 1.2 inc.) in girth (Tr. 142; RX-5). No changes of any significance were found in the measurements taken of the control subjects (Tr. 145, 146). He reported the success rate as 87.5 percent in the test group (Tr. 143). In Dr. Richards' opinion, the study was conducted in accordance with prevalent medical and scientific standards (Tr. 142). The report of Dr. Richards' study has been accepted for publication in the British Journal of Sexual Medicine (Tr. 143)."

That's a summary of the results of the study.

The issue of contention was one of permanent effects, with Dr. Richards couldn't attest to at that time. PE isn't like a nose job or an eye lift- it's much more akin to a fitness regimen. Like any fitness regimen, a miminum of [stamina] work must be done to maintain gains, but hardly more than would be necessary to maintain optimal sexual functioning even without PE.

In order to know the whole story, you need to be able to read between the lines ;)

B_Bonky

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
thanks, I'm an attorney, I know how to read legal stuff. ;)

Why do you need to keep with a 'regimen' to keep 'gains'? How could a penis 'grow' up to, what, 1-4 inches and then if you stop with the 'regimen' it shrinks back 4 inches? The only stuff on a human body that can change that much is striated muscle, and that's due to hypertrophy, not hyperplasia. That is, the muscle cells themselves become larger. I know of no evidence to suggest that smooth muscle can do the same thing.

Big Al

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
thanks, I'm an attorney, I know how to read legal stuff. ;)

Why do you need to keep with a 'regimen' to keep 'gains'? How could a penis 'grow' up to, what, 1-4 inches and then if you stop with the 'regimen' it shrinks back 4 inches? The only stuff on a human body that can change that much is striated muscle, and that's due to hypertrophy, not hyperplasia. That is, the muscle cells themselves become larger. I know of no evidence to suggest that smooth muscle can do the same thing.

As your penis grows, the level of blood flow needed to maintain a rock hard erection must also be increased. Think of it like needing a bigger engine for a bigger car. That's where stamina exercises come in to play. You should be doing these stamina exercises even if you have no desire for a bigger penis. They're the most important part of a PE regimen. It optimizes penile blood flow, helps to seal any venous leaks (which can cause ED), and allows you better sexual control.

You can read about maintaining or "cementing" gains in the http://www.lpsg.org/95782-free-classic-beginners-pe-routine.html

It's my opinion that one of the reasons why PE surgeries are such failures is because they treat it like a completely cosmetic procedure- with almost nothing being done to improve the actual "fitness" of the penis.

"The only stuff on a human body that can change that much is striated muscle"

I disagree- especially when you're referring to changes being made over the long haul. As far as hyperplasia, I've read studies done on biopsies in swimmer's muscles that showed strong evidence of hyperplasia. That's neither here nor there with this argument though.

The smooth muscle expansion is a passive effect. What you're doing with PE is expanding the ligaments and tunica- which allows the smooth muscle to expand beyond it's normal constraints. Here's a very extreme example of this in action ("instantaneous PE"): http://www.lpsg.org/119787-priapism-and-expansive-properties-penis.html

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The named Dr. Robert Chartham rang an odd bell in my mind until I dug up an old magazine called Penthouse Forum in the small shrinking remnants of my Man Cave (otherwise known as the family garage.) The magazine was dated in the early spring of 1973 which would have made me about age two. With that, I looked up the name and discovered that Chartham passed away on February 1, 1985 at the age of 73. Moreover that was an assumed name, Robert Chartham being born Ronald Sydney Seth.

Robert Chartham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seth was a rather interesting character, an intellectual having been raised in affluent circles and educated in England's more elite schools. During WW-II he signed on with Special Operations and parachuted behind enemy lines, only to be quickly captured and sent to a prison camp. Sequestered in the Stalag with an inordinate amount of free time on his hands it was only natural that Seth/Chartham create a goal, a stimulating project to take his mind off the lonely mind-numbing confinement. Behold "The Chartham Method" was born.

After the war Ronald Seth put his P.hD to good use as Dr. Robert Chatham, writing innumerable articles on sexual fulfillment from his home on Malta with his second wife. Clearly his career as a sexologist blossomed with his connection to publisher Robert Guccione's Forum magazine, a small format booklet with a ribald letters section and monthly articles on eternal topics of interest such as size and performance. Through the generations little sexual seems to have changed.

The unknown question in 2009 is, who's now profiting from the late Robert Chartham's name and manufacturing vacuum pumps and printed material using the late doctor's identity?

Last edited:

Big Al

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The named Dr. Robert Chartham rang an odd bell in my mind until I dug up an old magazine called Penthouse Forum in the small shrinking remnants of my Man Cave (otherwise known as the family garage.) The magazine was dated in the early spring of 1973 which would have made me about age two. With that, I looked up the name and discovered that Chartham passed away on February 1, 1985 at the age of 73. Moreover that was an assumed name, Robert Chartham being born Ronald Sydney Seth.

Robert Chartham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seth was a rather interesting character, an intellectual having been raised in affluent circles and educated in England's more elite schools. During WW-II he signed on with Special Operations and parachuted behind enemy lines, only to be quickly captured and sent to a prison camp. Sequestered in the Stalag with an inordinate amount of free time on his hands it was only natural that Seth/Chartham create a goal, a stimulating project to take his mind off the lonely mind-numbing confinement. Behold "The Chartham Method" was born.

After the war Ronald Seth put his P.hD to good use as Dr. Robert Chatham, writing innumerable articles on sexual fulfillment from his home on Malta with his second wife. Clearly his career as a sexologist blossomed with his connection to publisher Robert Guccione's Forum magazine, a small format booklet with a ribald letters section and monthly articles on eternal topics of interest such as size and performance. Through the generations little sexual seems to have changed.

The unknown question in 2009 is, who's now profiting from the late Robert Chartham's name and manufacturing vacuum pumps and printed material using the late doctor's identity?

Thanks for that info :) It always cool to get a bit of PE history.

To the best of my knowledge Dr. Richards is still promoting Dr. Chartham's methods in an all-inclusive regimen called the "Penitone Course".