North Korea going apeshit

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_starinvestor, May 27, 2009.

1. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

N. Korea Warns of Strike Against S. Korea, U.S. - North Korea | Map | Government - FOXNews.com

I'm glad they're halfway around the world, but N Korea keeps pushing and pushing. The UN seemingly has zero influence over them; and China has its hands in its pockets.

I wonder if Obama will 'strongly condemn' future missile launches or address the issue head on? Maybe Russia will take care of this problem.

Here's an excerpt from a Korean newspaper regarding U.S. sanctions on Korea:

"It is a laughable delusion for the United States to think that it can get us to kneel with sanctions," it said. "We've been living under U.S. sanctions for decades, but have firmly safeguarded our ideology and system while moving our achievements forward. The U.S. sanctions policy toward North Korea is like striking a rock with a rotten egg."

2. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    N. Korea: No longer bound by 1953 truce - CNN.com

There was never a peace treaty that ended the Korean war, so technically North and South are still at war. :frown: Now they are stirring the pot again with missile launches and testing a 2nd nuclear bomb. I swear they are like the religious cults that want to bring Armageddon.

China needs to shit or get off the pot. They are their closest, ok only, ally. China should invade... but that's my thought.

3. Flashy

Gold Member

I hate to say it, but we should have taken them out when we had the chance in the time period between the collapse of the Soviet Union and their going nuclear. (there was a small opportunity from about 92-97 or so...too late now)

what a mess

4. pym

pym New Member

Perhaps we could shoot a missle at them, equipted with a deadly FESTOR war-head. Upon impact it would start to spout off NON-STOP bullshit treasonous lies and constantly ask for hand-outs from anyone that looked remotely like it's Dad. It would be quite a deterrent......but not to effective. The Festor war-head is too ineffective to actually serve the military, it would rather someone else have to do the dirty work. I have no doubt that the N.Koreans would just launch a piece of shit like that right back home to the USA!! Now THAT would be a terrorist attack!

5. sparky11point5

sparky11point5 New Member

So, two questions for you Star.

-- In 2003, who was more of a danger to the US: a secular dictator hampered by over a decade of economic sanctions, but in an oil-rich country; or, an unstable, irrational megalomaniac with nuclear ambitions?

-- OK, so what would you do about North Korea? (Imaginary special ops teams or Star Wars style interceptor missile fantasies like Newt Gingrich used are not allow, because, well, these are just fantasies.)

6. B_starinvestor

based on intelligence reports that were available at the time, the former.

build an international coalition and lean hard on China.

7. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    THAT sounds suspiciously like something President Obama would do. :cool:

8. sparky11point5

IS is entirely correct, and it shows the stupidity of the right wing meme 'attack Obama for attempting to use diplomacy". If you focus only on the direct actions of the US, there really is only two broad options - some form of diplomacy (which of course includes sanctions or a coalition or even negotiations) or military action (air strikes to a full declared war).

I posed the question, so in fairness let me attempt an answer.

I think there is one and only one country that has influence over North Korea -- China -- that is the largest trading partner, supplier of food and fuel, and only bordering state. China has a huge economic interest in maintaining stability and is no friend to the mercurial threats and provocations of North Korea. Above all, China wants to keep the flow of manufactured crap to American's shopping at Wal Mart.

As for North Korea, the primary objective of any authoritarian regime is to continue in power. (This is why the Republicans are so apeshit now :) ) If we can encourage China to pressure North Korea, there might be a way to keep them under control. I hate to say it, but it really depends on China, and this is the primary reason you have to continue to engage countries like China in a positive way, and not demonize them. I think that Kim could care less about the US, S. Korea, Japan, even Russia. None of these countries (short of war) can dislodge him, but China *could* by say, opening it's border. This would destabilize his regime, and likely end it.

9. sparky11point5

Oh, and Star, quoting a North Korean newspaper (since it says "us") to attack President Obama? You do realize how desperate that appears, right ... right? What is next, Al Quaeda? You need better sources, my neocon friend. :) (If I don't put a smiley, Star and Pittbull won't understand I am trying to be funny. Just a droll Yankee, I guess.)

10. pym

pym New Member

Your too patient Sparky....i just bitch slap em'!:biggrin1:

11. B_starinvestor

I put the newspaper quote in there simply to illustrate their attitude towards the U.S. Frankly, they think our sanctions and our foriegn policy initiatives are a joke.

I'm not slamming Obama on this.....yet.:wink:

Although he and Mrs. Clinton teaming up on this issue doesn't give me the greatest amount of confidence.

Don't know what the ripple affect would be if we just took Jung out. Or hired somebody else to do it. But it doesn't sound like a bad idea.

12. javyn

javyn New Member

Albums:
    If we shoot any missiles at North Korea they'll turn around vaporize all of South Korea. A nuclear Japan is the answer to this.

13. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Sparks, droll is the least of the positive adjectives I'd use to describe you.

14. Flashy

Gold Member

if they "vaporize" South Korea, they themselves will be vaporized.

US troops are in South Korea as a strategic tripwire. that would be a nuclear assault on the US, and NK would be vaporized in return.

15. Drifterwood

Gold Member

1/ send in Team America

or, failing that

2/ ensure that this is seen as a Regional rather than a Global issue. As a Regional issue it is up to Japan, Russia and mainly China to deal with this irritating little turd. NK is an anachronism and survives on the paranoid propaganda of the past. It has no place as such in the modern era. China has little ot gain anymore from NK, but will not lose face if seen to be forced to dump their old ally.

16. sparky11point5

<sing>AMERICA ... FUCK YEAH!</sing>

17. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I could rearrange the words, but I fear the joke would be lost on some :rolleyes: :smile:

18. pym

pym New Member

Team America? Hhmmm.....Who would that team be comprised of?
    Lets Play.....My warped vision of 'Team America' comprised of various LPSG members.
    In my scenario N.Korea has been determined by Nefarious sources to be on the verge of going completely 'postal' with a cobbled together nuclear strike capability. In desperation, America decides it must send in there very best to perform a tactical removal of Kim Jong Ill and nuetralize the atomic weapons!
    Trannity, Festor, and Facey get the call to duty.....{cue up the 'Green Onions' soundtrack}.....they are told to only report back to Dick Cheney.....
    Suddenly, our 3 intrepid hero's are being jettisoned from a high altitude spy plane for a night drop parachute deployment over N.Korea, but before they even reach the ground, Facey realizes that he MUST Kill Festor because he will not shut the fuck up about OBAMA, and is in dire jeapordy of giving up there positions once they reach the ground! And so Facey deftly throws a combat issue knife into Festors left eye, killing him instantly.......Trannity begins to wonder about it's own safety at this point....Facey has clearly gone renegade!
    Now the 2 of our hero's are on the ground.....Trannity is checking earth/sat links for ground positions relative to mission target objectives.....and the latest skewed reports about the current White House Administration. Moe, {oops,i meant Facey} has to slap Tranny back into the moment.
    After an arduous trek through the mountains of N.Korea,the 2 of them are at Kim's secret lair.......They are outside the compound, a very large wall to scale before getting in. Facey: "Tranny, let me stand on your shoulders so i can see over the wall....Tranny:"Oh alright....."
    After a short while, Tranny notices that a horrible goo is raining down...and looks up...Facey is beating off! WTF!!! Facey: "Sorry tranny, but Kim has got some fine ass bitches in there! And everyone of them has a Thin body with HUGE natural Tits!!" "And they all have there hair tied back and held in place with silver chopsticks too.....WooHoo!"
    Tranny at this point is seriously considering the safety of the mission, and decides that a covert communique with Dick Cheney for further instructions must be risked at all costs.......Stay tuned for part 2 as our two hero's "MISSION TO KOREA" continues......

19. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

I think the UN permanent members need to start talking and agree to something anything that will at least show north korea that there is unananimity prior to any threat and a solid agreement that action will be taken to eliminate further threat should the worst happen.
    Alternatively the US, UK and France could turn around and say 'no, this one is your problem to sort' i.e. to Russia and China
    Is either of these more likely than watching tension build to bloodshed before anyone starts doing something proactive tho....its tricky this and the north koreans seem such a paranoid bunch

20. javyn

javyn New Member

Albums:
    You think Ill would care if the majority of his population dies?

Draft saved Draft deleted