Not fair - my employer won't let me...

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by B_mitchymo, Sep 24, 2009.

1. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

...get my eyebrow pierced.

I've wanted for some time now to get it done but because of the time needed for the piercing to heal it means that i would need to leave it in whilst i am at work for the first few weeks. I asked my boss if i could have permission to do it and was refused. It's not fair surely!

2. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    what's your work situation. I know here in the States (at least my own personal experence) has been that if you work in the restraunt industry, any facial piercings (other than ears....well thats tecnically not the face but I digress) are considered a health hazzard and if you are involved the the handling or cooking of any type of food then piercings are strickly forbidden. I think there are exceptions for waiters and waitresses, as they technically don't actually handle the food.

3. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It just depends on where you work. If there's a lot of public exposure, they may be concerned with image. Agree or not, facial piercing is not generally accepted as professional or even normal (Not my personal opinion).

Where I work, they have to have it covered. Most use a bandaid.

Sorry that you're having to deal with opposition :frown1: (((hugs)))

4. RedHead8

RedHead8 Active Member

Albums:
    Why put holes in such a perfect face to begin with? :)

5. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

I do work in retail so yea the public thing applies.

I fail to see the plausibility in the potential loss of profit because i had an eyebrow pierced, the customers are not going to take the stand that ''my god, this is outrageous!, i'm taking my customer to a more respectable store where the employees look normal''. Such an attitude can however i suppose be taken by some like those who fail to understand that a queue entails 'waiting' or that a ripped product label does not render the contents inedible.

The world needs some education i think.

6. D_Mylor Mentallydaft

D_Mylor Mentallydaft Account Disabled

the fuck ever told you life was fair? is it fair he HAS to pay what some one who's never even met you thinks your worth? his store his rules..... plus .... what are you? 16 in 1998? its 2009 man

7. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Thx for the compliment, (tho a bit overblown, i aint no oil painting lol) it is just something i find attractive i guess on other guys so would like to have one myself.

8. RedHead8

RedHead8 Active Member

Albums:
    Woah... someone needs a chill pill...

9. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

1.) near-slavery would exist if employers got to 'choose' how much they pay.
    2.) it works in their favour too, i am worth a lot more than most of my colleagues due to my work ethic but they don't pay me more in recognition tho they could if they wanted to so its a two-way street.
    3.)"plus .... what are you? 16 in 1998? its 2009 man" what's that got to do with the price of fish?, are you suggesting that i am too old for body experimenting? How ridiculous!

10. D_Alldwin_Applesack

D_Alldwin_Applesack Account Disabled

I thought this would be more kinky :p
    But uh oh. It's a serious topic!! !
    Well. If you do ever manage to get that piercing..
    Do share pics :cool:
    In the meantime..Don't be too down :frown1:

11. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Get piercings where they will not show in work attire...

But, sorry... the only reason to get piercings or tattoos on your face is to shove it in other people's face.

If that kind of out affront attitude is important to your sense of self... Find a job in an edgier store that caters to a similar crowd.

Hell there are stores where you can't get the job WITHOUT a piercing...

12. STYLYUNG

STYLYUNG New Member

Have had servers, male and female, with pierced tongues. Had a hard time understanding them---speech was slurred. Was tiold that the gold ball on the tongue sent the signal, "I give oral sex." Very unappetising when dining. Would never go back to a place where the operator let the employees offend customers. Mitchmo's boss was right. Some customers are squeemish about seeing facial piercings.

13. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
    This is interesting that the issue of piercings and the wishes of your employer are coming up as an issue currently.

I read in the NY Times today (or yesterday) that a young Muslim woman is suing A & F for not having been hired because she was a Black hajib (headdress) at an interview. An A & F employee and a friend of the young woman leaked that she was the preferred candidate but she did not adhere to their dress code and the look of A& F. She is suing on the grounds of a violation of her religious freedoms. The principle at stake is religious freedom vs. an employers prerogative to enforce a dress code.

Legal Fact: Employers do have the right to maintain a dress code and to dismiss individuals who are in violation of that dress code.

The case with A & F vs. the young Muslim woman is far more complicated than your current situation because freedom of religion is protected in the Constitution, but the legal principle is the same. Your employer can enforce a dress code under the terms of your employment. The legal standard applies regardless if you are facing the public. For example, you could work in the bank as a back office employee/technician who never meets with customers, but you would still be required to wear suitable business attire (and presumably no piercings).

So, the side of the law favors the employer in the case of
    ------------------

On a personal level for the OP, there must be some other outlet for what he wants to express. Many people will not think that the OP is a "horrible" person because of a piercing, but why push the envelope with the public?

14. D_Terry_Misue

D_Terry_Misue New Member

My sister got an eyebrow piercing when she was younger...and now she has a lovely scar on her eyebrow.

Maybe consider it a blessing. You won't be x years old forever. Don't see many (successful) 30+ year olds rocking an eyebrow piercing.

Not that that applies to you. Just an example.

15. Symphonic

Gold Member

Albums:
    Whine some more...

16. Hanger2

Hanger2 New Member

Your employer is entitled to apply a dress code and you are entitled to work somewhere else if you don't like his dress code. Don't expect to progress to a better position and better income in that business if you don't adhere to the rules. Move out, start your own business and apply your own dress code. You are unlikely to be successful at it unless your rules fit in with the market to which your product is targetted.

17. Darkriff

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I was told I'm not allowed to have piercings at work either. Mostly because of a FOD issue, not because of appearance. Then again, mine are hidden, so what they don't know won't hurt em :p.

18. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    That's why I am self-employed, I get to make my own rules..

19. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Y'know, you never hear about a Bball player on some professional team whine about how they make him dress in a uniform....

There are reasons why certain professions expect a certain uniformity of conduct and attire.
    And there are reasons why the doofi with the facial tattoos and head jewelry are never seen in the halls of power. It has to do with group dynamic and the stereotypes to which you subscribe voluntarily. You don't see Obama dressing in hip hop with a platinum grill... because the stupid fucks who adopt that style are Broadcasting to the world around them what kind of superficial dolt they really are.

And this drive toward "individual expression" is laughable because its not like there aren't whole industries devoted to the millions who want to get the exact same piercings ...

Yes, you are a unique and special snowflake... just like everyfuckingbody else.

but there ain't nothing "individual" about getting a publicly viewable tat nor getting a piercing... nothing individual about adopting a certain fashion.. It is ALWAYS about identifying yourself with a tribe.

You want to advertise your enrollment in a stereotype, you want people to know certain things just by looking at you ... particular assumptions you want them to make about you...

Some hippity Hopped up gangsta thug is trying to make folks think he is dangerous...
    Some young man with a tongue stud wants the world to know he sucks cock with gusto.

Everyone complains about the evils of 'sterotyping', even while shopping for hip hop apparel and having their tats touched up...

20. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    How important is it to you?

If you really think it isn't fair you'll find another job where you can. At a tatoo/piercing place I've never seen anyone who wasn't tattooed/pierced. Start your own biz, then you can be the one that sets the dress code.

Of all the things that aren't fair in this world this ranks not on the scale.

Draft saved Draft deleted