Not helping themselves.

tracksuitboy: [quote author=aj2181 link=board=99;num=1067118189;start=0#4 date=10/25/03 at 15:49:18]Some of the debates in the House of Commons are somethin else to listen to.
[/quote]

Almost certainly, the spats (sorry, lively debates) in the Commons that you may see clips of on TV, come from a weekly session called Prime Minister's Questions. PMQs do provide British citizens with one of the best shows on television! It's always been yah-boo and always will be. The main business of law making is not done in the main Commons chamber but in Committees and other areas.

I gather that this kind of 'debate' happens in most parliaments throughout the world; do you not have "my party's better than your party" spats in the Senate or Congress?

SpeedoGuy: [quote author=tracksuitboy link=board=99;num=1067118189;start=60#60 date=11/12/03 at 04:04:51]

I gather that this kind of 'debate' happens in most parliaments throughout the world; do you not have "my party's better than your party" spats in the Senate or Congress?[/quote]

Oh my, yes we do.

In fact, recently the U.S. capitol police were called in during a very vocal and acrimonious partisan dispute that occurred during a congressional committee meeting. Newspaper reports indicated that the police assessed the situation and then departed in disgust after admonishing the malefactors to work it out like adults.

SG

tracksuitboy: [quote author=SpeedoGuy link=board=99;num=1067118189;start=60#61 date=11/12/03 at 20:00:48]..... and then departed in disgust after admonishing the malefactors to work it out like adults.

SG[/quote]

Oh Speedo! Politicians acting like adults. Now that's just silly! Come on!

tracksuitboy: [quote author=SpeedoGuy link=board=99;num=1067118189;start=60#61 date=11/12/03 at 20:00:48]In fact, recently the U.S. capitol police were called in during a very vocal and acrimonious partisan dispute that occurred during a congressional committee meeting. [/quote]

Oh well, at least they didn't resort to fisticuffs! (Who mentioned Italy?)

SpeedoGuy: LOL. :D

I may be wrong but I don't think any physical pummeling has occurred in Congress since shortly before the War Between the States when tensions were running even higher than they are now.

For settling disputes, dueling was once as popular in America as it was in Europe (early 1800s). Here it happened more with pistols than rapiers. In fact, notable American statesman Alexander Hamilton was killed in a gun duel.

SG