Not Over Yet- Bush, senators renew fight against gay marriage

Irvy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's political sleight of hand. In the UK, the government created civil partnerships to gain votes and distract our attention from other issues. In the US, Bush is making this fuss about gay marriages in order to gain votes and distract your attention from other issues - like the fact that the UK and US are jointly occupying another country and replacing it's government, and covering over all the civilian deaths in the media.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Still, I really care not what the wording is, as long as the same legal protections are afforded to all couples in this country. It angers me that, as current law stands, if I died unexpectedly, my entire estate - property, savings, life insurance, investments, all of it - would be confiscated by the state. If I were legally married, it would go to my surviving spouse. Although I have paperwork in place for limited power of attorney for medical decisions, and a living will, the state could refuse my partner's rights and assume those decisions. Neither of us is permitted by law to carry the other on family plan insurance. Again I say, the government should either be willing to extend those protections to all citizens, or none at all.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
DC_DEEP said:
Still, I really care not what the wording is, as long as the same legal protections are afforded to all couples in this country. It angers me that, as current law stands, if I died unexpectedly, my entire estate - property, savings, life insurance, investments, all of it - would be confiscated by the state. If I were legally married, it would go to my surviving spouse. Although I have paperwork in place for limited power of attorney for medical decisions, and a living will, the state could refuse my partner's rights and assume those decisions. Neither of us is permitted by law to carry the other on family plan insurance. Again I say, the government should either be willing to extend those protections to all citizens, or none at all.

Brings to mind this story about the elderly rancher who lost his home after his partner died in Oklahoma. The will was challenged by relatives, it was not properly witnessed, and was void.

http://www.aclu.org/lgbt/relationships/23927res20060125.html

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
rawbone8 said:
Brings to mind this story about the elderly rancher who lost his home after his partner died in Oklahoma. The will was challenged by relatives, it was not properly witnessed, and was void.

http://www.aclu.org/lgbt/relationships/23927res20060125.html
Well, believe it or not, in most of our 50 states, even a properly executed and witnessed last will and testament is not held as inviolate. If I were to have a lawyer draw up my last will and testament, and name my partner as sole heir and executor, the state of Virginia could void that legal document and take everything - or, if I had bitter family or even a bitter ex-wife, their claim would take precedence. It is a pitiful state of affairs, and most people don't understand the full scope of LGBT desire for marriage equality.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
DC_DEEP said:
What!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought a person could leave the estate to anyone they wished, period. You should be able to name anyone your sole heir. Your state has some twisted laws.

Most gay people I don't think care what it is called, marriage or civil union. They want those basic rights. Two unmarried sisters still living at the old home place as they have done all their lives should be afforded the same rights. Why should one have to have her income cut in half because her sister is now dead.

There should be criteria set up for this and if followed would give civil unions to gay people with a committed partners and and certain family situations that this is needed.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Freddie53 said:
What!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought a person could leave the estate to anyone they wished, period. You should be able to name anyone your sole heir. Your state has some twisted laws.
Oh, my poor, naive, Freddie.... I got my training in oppression resistance in Arkansas. Unless they have drastically changed Arkansas laws in the last 4 or 5 years, it is among those who favor family or ex-spouses over lovers... regardless of final wishes. Please consult any lawyer friends you may have... and ask them not to tell you what you want to hear, but what the reality is.

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
NineInchCock_160IQ said:
http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/06/07.html#a8614

I love Jon Stewart ^

also, kudos to the Senate for defeating the gay marriage ban.

Jon Stewart rocks, allways have, and hopefully always will, I watch the Daily Show every night and will continue to do so, because the Daily Show is the only news worth beliveing.

Macarion

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why is this only brought up during election years? And why did some guy say "this is 5 times more important than the war on terror"? And why arent people using that against them in ads that say people who are against gay marriage think the war on terror isnt important or something?

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
From globeandmail.com. Italics added are mine. (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060607.wusgayy0607/BNStory/International/home)

“The Republican leadership is asking us to spend time writing bigotry into the Constitution,” said Senator Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts, which legalized gay marriage in 2003. “A vote for it is a vote against civil unions, against domestic partnership, against all other efforts for states to treat gays and lesbians fairly under the law.”
In response, Mr. Hatch fumed: “Does he really want to suggest that over half of the United States Senate is a crew of bigots?”
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060607.wusgayy0607/BNStory/International/home
I almost fell out of my chair laughing. Of course they're a crew of bigots! They're the same crew that had to be bullied into enforcing civil rights laws in the 1960s!

I mean, I'm no Ted Kennedy fan, but that was a good one.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
rob_just_rob said:
From globeandmail.com. Italics added are mine. (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060607.wusgayy0607/BNStory/International/home)

“The Republican leadership is asking us to spend time writing bigotry into the Constitution,” said Senator Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts, which legalized gay marriage in 2003. “A vote for it is a vote against civil unions, against domestic partnership, against all other efforts for states to treat gays and lesbians fairly under the law.”
In response, Mr. Hatch fumed: “Does he really want to suggest that over half of the United States Senate is a crew of bigots

I almost fell out of my chair laughing. Of course they're a crew of bigots! They're the same crew that had to be bullied into enforcing civil rights laws in the 1960s!

yeah, ask ol Teddy about "inclusion" in all his old school Harvard clubs... amazing how the left turns such a blind eye, and allows for the hypocrisy fo their own. Interesting to see the photo-ops with thick-calved Chelsea next to ultra-thick-calved Hillary at some _____ _for inner city_____ supporting____ yet neither one would set foot, nor be seen, nor admit to any relation to such organizations. Rich lefty Truman-Democrats are worse than most Republicans scorned on these here threads. At least a spade is a spade, and not a braggadocio photo-op'ing media hound....

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
rob_just_rob said:
They're the same crew that had to be bullied into enforcing civil rights laws in the 1960s!

Assuming you DO KNOW that it was the DEMOCRATS and not REPUBLICANS that had to be "bullied"... didn't think you did. Amazing the assumptions.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
faceking said:
Assuming you DO KNOW that it was the DEMOCRATS and not REPUBLICANS that had to be "bullied"... didn't think you did. Amazing the assumptions.

Yes, I did know that. And to be charitable, I'm assuming you didn't also read my posts in other US-politics threads where I asserted that there is very little real difference between the Democrats and the Republicans. So I'm sure that you'll apologize for being needlessly condescending.

Failing that, I'll assume that you're a pompous fuckwit, and govern my future interactions with you on this board accordingly.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
faceking said:
Assuming you DO KNOW that it was the REPUBLICANS and the DEMOCRATS that had to be "bullied"... didn't think you did. Amazing the assumptions.
Integration Now! Segregation never!

lol dreamer20