Not really sexually related

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, on the one hand, obesity is a problem. On the other, so are eating disorders. (I personally think "eating disorder" is a misnomer, since the genesis of an eating disorder is in image. In fact, male "eating disorders" usually involve taking steroids.) I'm really caught between a rock and a hard place.

The secret to beauty is to just remain healthy: This means exercise, proper diet, proper hygiene, and seeing the doctor if you're sick. Don't waste money on makeup or plastic surgery, though. (I only recommend plastic surgery for minimizing scar tissue.).

gwinea2000:
Originally posted by jonb+Jan 13 2005, 09:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jonb &#064; Jan 13 2005, 09:59 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well, on the one hand, obesity is a problem. On the other, so are eating disorders. (I personally think "eating disorder" is a misnomer, since the genesis of an eating disorder is in image. In fact, male "eating disorders" usually involve taking steroids.) I&#39;m really caught between a rock and a hard place.
[post=274511]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b]

I&#39;d argue that obesity IS the result of an eating disorder. Whether a person is eating way too much or much too little, it tends to circle back to issues involving self-worth, low self-esteem, etc.

Male eating disorders do NOT usually involve taking steroids. While the use of steroids may be attributable to a similar type of body dysmorphism, eating too little is almost never the case. After all, the primary objective (if not for enhanced athletic performance) is to INCREASE body mass.

There are stages of training in which a competitive bodybuilder may drastically cut caloric intake, but it is merely a phase to induce a certain &#39;cut&#39; look. While not healthy, it&#39;s not a chronic disorder. Similar with amateur wrestling.

<!--QuoteBegin-jonb
@Jan 13 2005, 09:59 PM
The secret to beauty is to just remain healthy: This means exercise, proper diet, proper hygiene, and seeing the doctor if you&#39;re sick.
[post=274511]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

Agreed.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Well, I tend to think more in the genesis of the disorder; the traditional "eating disorder" is a result of body image. Obesity seems to mostly be the result of stress. And then there&#39;s always the occasional guy motivated to murder by Twinkies.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don&#39;t think you can kill something that has a 1000 year shelf life&#33;

Obesity can be caused by either genetic or social disorders, often a combination of both. While getting into shape is usually a good motivation for working out, I&#39;d agree that obsessing aobut perfection is a body image disorder. You shouldn&#39;t have to take drugs to be your best, I would equate taking steroids with cosmetic surgury. Don&#39;t get me wrong, I really don&#39;t object to either, but I do wish our society didn&#39;t compel people to feel they needed either. Then again, I wear a ton of make up, so where do you really draw the line? I used to do the fake nail thing, until I read about the enormous build up of germs and it started grossing me out. I&#39;ve returned to my former habit of keeping very short nails, which is easier for sewing and guitar playing anyway, certainly a lot cleaner.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Um, no. In 1978, Dan White said that his reason for killing Harvey Milk was because he had been feeling depressed, so he ate a lot of junk food. The resulting obesity in turn made the ex-athlete more depressed. Said depression promepted him to kill Milk. He actually managed a successful diminished capacity plea on this; it became known as the Twinkie defense.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by jonb@Jan 15 2005, 07:55 PM
Um, no. In 1978, Dan White said that his reason for killing Harvey Milk was because he had been feeling depressed, so he ate a lot of junk food. The resulting obesity in turn made the ex-athlete more depressed. Said depression promepted him to kill Milk. He actually managed a successful diminished capacity plea on this; it became known as the Twinkie defense.

I remember it. As a result, White copped a much shorter sentence than a full blown murder conviction would have garnered him. There were riots in SF following the sentencing. In the end, though, White lost. He was utterly shunned by society we he got out of the slam and eventually he took his own life.

SG

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow, I didn&#39;t hear about it, but that&#39;s sad. I guess it goes to show how serious a thing depression can be. Chronic depression is very different even from deep sadness. Sadness that has a source in reality (such as death, job loss, illness etc.)
is very normal and we all go through it. Even bad times in our lives can cause a normal amount of it for a time, but true depression is an overwhelming feeling that just doesn&#39;t go away, even when things are not bad. This is something that should be addressed before it&#39;s outcome becomes serious.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes,

Medication can really work wonders of the depression is chemical. But they think that cognitive therapy and medication might be the best method. Yes depression is not something that many people truly understand and can be as diverse in its manifestations as the people who suffer with it. The best movie I have ever seen that shows depression as I know it is The Hours.

Naughty

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Yeah, IF the depression is chemical. It rarely is. The best way to snap out of depression in my experience is physical activity, and lots of it. At least it&#39;s a healthy addiction.

But basically, a diverse variety of recreational activities will help you with depression.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
JONB,

Funny that you would mention that fact. Actually , I do suffer from a mild form of chronic depression called dysthymia. I have a great sensitivity to anti depressants so my doctors have recommended that I go to the gym or walk at least 4 or 5 times a week so I will produce seratonin that my body would not normally create. I have to say it does work to some extent but it is not perfect.For me it is chemical because I did try Prozac early on before I started having side effects.The thing I loved about it was that it was not a happy pill but the mental clarity it created helped me greatly.Things that without it took an hour to do finally took 10 minutes because of the added mental clarity.

Naughty

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Yeah, as I said, basically any type of recreation can help you snap out of depression. It all depends on what you&#39;re depressed about; I&#39;m reminded of Western psychiatrists accidentally misdiagnosing wacinko, a type of stress treatment, as chronic depression&#33;

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
I suppose at least when you&#39;re in the gym you become super-buff very fast.

Mind you, I don&#39;t trust anti-psychotics that much, especially when the side effects of one could be marketed as the "main feature" of another named drug with the same pill.