Not religious, yet spiritual?

B_bi_mmf

Expert Member
Media
I hear a lot of people say that they are not religious but that they are spiritual. Some who say this seem to really mean that they are religious but just do not buy into organized religion. But others seem to draw a fundamental distinction between religion and spirituality. I don't quite understand it.

Can some of you who consider yourself to be spiritual but not religious clarify this issue?

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm basically the first definition you gave. I believe in a God but I don't agree with any organized religion that I've ever heard of. When using the word "religion" most people think of Church and whatnot though, which is why I describe myself as being spiritual instead.

Randll86

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I look at it like this, Religion is outward and communal about a group, symbols, common beliefs ect.

Spirituality is personal, immaterial about ones relationship with nature and the outside world.

That my take anyway, for what its worth...

Spirituality for me is connection. All things contain the same basic elements, just, placed, created, made, however put together in different ways. Religion for me is man made, and in many more ways than not, divisive of that connection.