Not so macho

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by D_Leotols Toy, Aug 6, 2009.

1. D_Leotols Toy

D_Leotols Toy New Member

There are times when I feel emasculated compared to my other dude friends.
    I don't watch sports or particularly like them other than poker and skateboarding, not into the whole womanizing thing, or other manly things like working on cars.

All my group of friends are basically girls and it's always been like that and was raised by a single mum, although I occasionally saw my father.

Anyways, anyone else ever feel like that? I'm quite comfortable in myself, it's just I feel the few dudes I do chill with don't necessarily see me as super dude bro like or something. Can anyone relate?

2. BD__Bjorn Mitderbiggun

BD__Bjorn Mitderbiggun Account Disabled

yea im like that. i dont watch sports like my friends, they know every damn sports team and know everyone's ranks, lol, i just watch them occasionally.

3. dcw4

dcw4 Member

i can relate, and when i do try and "man-up" it comes across as fake.
    i wasnt brought up with a sports freindly father or older brother, it wasnt their fault.
    I hate it sometimes, but, there are things I am good at that the "other" boys
    arent so good at.
    and its ok, if everyone was the same,,,,

4. B_Bonky

B_Bonky New Member

I 'can' do manly things with dudes like throw the football around or whatever, I just don't particularly want to. I like hanging out with broads.

5. HaroldZoid

HaroldZoid New Member

I tried to get into football (watching not playing) and it didn't work. Like dcw4 said, it felt fake.

I understand what you mean, and I've come to terms with it and don't care anymore. You shouldn't either.

6. D_Leotols Toy

D_Leotols Toy New Member

Yea, I guess it's not too big of a concern and it's good to hear I'm not the only one that feels like that. Most the girls I chill with always joke around and are like you need more dude friends. But I do appreciate a woman's company way more than just chillen with some dudes

7. Tsun

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yeah I do understand your feeling, I'm exactly the same. That doesn't make you less of a man. What is important si that you got great friends you can hang out with and have fun.

8. latin_cock

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Oh wow this thread is amazing! I have felt like that for a while but now that i see how many guys feel like me.. i feel more of a man lol.

9. wallyj84

Gold Member

This is my life. I've never felt manly.

10. D_Leotols Toy

D_Leotols Toy New Member

Haha wow, I never thought it'd be so close to home with everyone else.
    I guess not everyone feels all bro'd up

11. hud01

Gold Member

What it shows is that you can't put everyone in one box. Myself, I have been playing one or more sports since I was about 8. Doesn't make me better or worse, just an individual.

Have to call you on one thing. Poker is not a sport, it is an activity.

12. PYBIMA

PYBIMA New Member

I am glad to hear other stories, I feel the same way around men. I feel like I do not fit in with them, and I do not fit in with women on a friend level so I feel so out there sometimes.

13. D_Leotols Toy

D_Leotols Toy New Member

Yea, I only mention it as a sport because of the tournaments on tv. Was more so a joke of how I care nothing about sports.

Doesn't make anyone better or worse, but was just stating cause I usually get picked at for not knowing how to change the oil in my car or fix my car or which team is going to the playoffs

14. D_Chinkapook_BoingBoing

yep i can relate-luckily got a mixed group of frieds who don't give a shit about sport that much and i can at least pretend to be interested with work colleagues etc.

15. rbkwp

Gold Member

Albums:
    No worries matey
    as per usual .. it should all come to-gether ..eventually
    Enjoy yr Freedom and Good times
    while they're there
    enz

16. D_Leotols Toy

D_Leotols Toy New Member

The thing is I used to have a good mix of friends like that and I've met a few good dude friends that I can chill with lately, but it was like all the guys I grew up recently are all about fucking random girls and just being skeezes and at times it makes me feel like that's what I should be doing, as my brother states. But I respect women way too much after growing up with practically only girls, to do that. I guess to each their own, I suppose

17. rbkwp

Gold Member

Albums:
    Another take on it ,,that may ease yr mind a little
    I come from a Large Family
    All Str Married and wi kids
    ALL had varying interests in life from
    Car,s to Ladies ..and Sport
    (Not at all my thing btw)
    - i am i suppose what you would call a
    - str acting Gay....(i will wait fr the Negative comments from that)
    When i was younger Family were expecting me to be similar i am sure
    Never happened'
    So just convincing myself to be myself possibly helped me get thru
    the isolated feelings you appear to be having of late
    Hang in there matey..
    It usually comes right
    enz

18. Kayden96

Kayden96 New Member

What if every man was just acting macho because he thought that's what was expected of him? What if sports and mysgonism were just ploys to catering to the collective perception of what men should be enacted by other men to maintain the status quo? What if all men secretly just want to bake brownies and cuddle on the couch?

Personally, I've never been one to "go out with the bros and pickup bitches". I don't understand the macho bullshit, so when ever I try to play along, it comes out so over the top, it seems like a parody.

19. D_Leotols Toy

D_Leotols Toy New Member

Haha perfectly put kayden, I just feel like it's some bad american pie movie or something

20. someotherguy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Good to see some like-minded people out there. I'm not "manly" in the typical sense. And by "typical", I mean what society and the media deem as "manly". I'm not a sports fan and don't really understand the fanaticism it inspires. I know jack about cars except where to put the gas in. I respect women so I don't go out and try to score as many "bitches" as I can. I'm a laid back guy who likes to read and watch movies and go out and have a couple of drinks with friends. Thankfully I have friends who accept me for who I am and while they have their "manly" subjects they like to discuss, they are still able to talk with me about things we both like.

Being "macho" is bullshit. It's usually rooted in a man's insecurity and need to fit in. Either that or they have a tiny penis. :p

Draft saved Draft deleted