Not so random women's issues thoughts

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
(Just starting a thread to vent more, this shit makes me so mad)

U.S. Has The Worst Rate Of Maternal Deaths In The Developed World

\
propublica-mortality-rates.png

A soaring maternal mortality rate: What does it mean for you?

Georgia maternal death rate, once ranked worst in U.S., worse now

The Rate Of Maternal Mortality In Texas Is The Highest In The Developed World

This is such shit. There's no excuse for this. Zero. Zip. Zilch!

Fuck voters who accept this kind of status quo just because unemployment is down. People can, and need to, demand more.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Michigan pharmacist refuses medicine to woman having miscarriage

An Ionia woman is demanding that Meijer discipline a Petoskey pharmacist and implement a company-wide policy for how pharmacists should handle religious and moral objections to dispensing medication after she was denied a prescription to help complete a miscarriage.

Rachel Peterson, 35, alleges a pharmacist at the Meijer store on Lears Road in Petoskey refused to fill her prescription for a drug called misoprostol (brand name Cytotec) in July because of his personal religious views. She says he also refused to transfer the prescription to another pharmacy.

Fuck this pharmacist, and fuck the Catholic church and every church that encourages this kind of bullshit malpractice and abusive treatment of women at their most vulnerable.

My wife and I went through a miscarriage a few years ago, it's no pharmacist's business and it's certainly not the church's. All of you goddamn cultist pieces of shit need to quit your job if you can't fulfill the responsibilities correctly. Go get a job in accounting or something and quit harassing people who are already suffering.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

That one link is wrong (the others are okay).

Google just likes to put bad data at the top of their search algorithm I guess. TX had some unwieldly forms that basically resulted in several typos (marking woman who were not pregnant at the time of death as pregnant) that greatly inflated the state's maternal mortality rate. Texas is in line with the rest of the USA (which is still vastly higher than Canada and Europe).

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Something else to file with all the things about how our world operates that I do not understand...

Why Are Pelvic Exams on Unconscious, Unconsenting Women Still Part of Medical Training?

We understand consent better than ever. So why haven’t we ended this practice?

If you happen to have had a gynecological surgery at a major teaching hospital in the U.S., there’s a good chance that after you were given the anesthetic, several medical students used your unresponsive body to learn how to perform a proper pelvic exam. Each student would have inserted two fingers inside your vagina and placed one hand on your abdomen, feeling for abnormalities in your uterus and ovaries. This would have been done entirely for their benefit, not yours. And after the surgery, you would have been sent on your way, with no mention of these exams and with no knowledge of your role as a teaching tool.

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Something else to file with all the things about how our world operates that I do not understand...

Why Are Pelvic Exams on Unconscious, Unconsenting Women Still Part of Medical Training?

We understand consent better than ever. So why haven’t we ended this practice?

If you happen to have had a gynecological surgery at a major teaching hospital in the U.S., there’s a good chance that after you were given the anesthetic, several medical students used your unresponsive body to learn how to perform a proper pelvic exam. Each student would have inserted two fingers inside your vagina and placed one hand on your abdomen, feeling for abnormalities in your uterus and ovaries. This would have been done entirely for their benefit, not yours. And after the surgery, you would have been sent on your way, with no mention of these exams and with no knowledge of your role as a teaching tool.

I would question "unconsenting" here. Assuming elective surgery, not emergency (where teaching is prohibited) the patient signs a release form, and especially in university teaching hospitals, it's likely the form does grant permission for such instruction.

When I was hospitalized for mononucleosis as a very young adult, it seemed as if every intern and student in the hospital was brought in to witness my "classic case of mono". After having a dozen students painfully palpate my liver, I told my doctor to stop. He told me I had granted permission, which is when I learned of this. My admission form granted students and interns access to routine exams. They did stop, however.

Read the forms whenever possible..or have a healthy family member read them carefully.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I would question "unconsenting" here. Assuming elective surgery, not emergency (where teaching is prohibited) the patient signs a release form, and especially in university teaching hospitals, it's likely the form does grant permission for such instruction.

It does not and the possibility of such is not discussed with the women beforehand.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/bioe.12441

There is a reason 4 states have had to go so far as to introduce and pass legislation to criminalize it.

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
It does not and the possibility of such is not discussed with the women beforehand.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/bioe.12441

There is a reason 4 states have had to go so far as to introduce and pass legislation to criminalize it.
The linked article mentions nothing about hospital consent forms. Four states out of fifty leaves a lot of ground to cover.

Again, I urge people to read them before signing. There are other concerns with what you're signing, but in the context of this thread, the possibility that you might be consenting to medical instruction is important to determine.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
You have a boob in the news every single day...

stupid-trump-thumb-600xauto-176831.jpg

He's not worthy of the title Boob. He's straight up anus. Orange, and hairy as fuck. You know even though he wears that stupid fake shit on his head, you know the asshole is just a wirey, festering mess.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
He's not worthy of the title Boob. He's straight up anus. Orange, and hairy as fuck. You know even though he wears that stupid fake shit on his head, you know the asshole is just a wirey, festering mess.

Ew, file that under images I don't need stuck in my head on a Friday :p

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The linked article mentions nothing about hospital consent forms. Four states out of fifty leaves a lot of ground to cover.

Again, I urge people to read them before signing. There are other concerns with what you're signing, but in the context of this thread, the possibility that you might be consenting to medical instruction is important to determine.

FACT CHECK: Is Performing Pelvic Exams on Unconscious Women Without Informed Consent Legal?

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, the American Medical Association, and the Association of American Medical Colleges has each condemned the practice, but it remains legal in the vast majority of American states. While teaching hospitals do provide consent forms indicating that medical students may be involved with their care, these forms do not necessarily require the explicit disclosure of pelvic exams, and often times multiple students will perform the same exam on a patient or perform it in cases when is medically unnecessary:

"Ordinarily, consent forms at teaching hospitals will include language to inform the patient that medical students may be involved in their care. Patients are informed that (1) they are receiving care from a teaching hospital and (2) that medical students may be involved in their care … But there are cases where an instructor or attending doctor wants more than one student to examine the same patient or to have students examine patients for whom the particular pelvic examination is not indicated."

Reactions: MickeyLee

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
FACT CHECK: Is Performing Pelvic Exams on Unconscious Women Without Informed Consent Legal?

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, the American Medical Association, and the Association of American Medical Colleges has each condemned the practice, but it remains legal in the vast majority of American states. While teaching hospitals do provide consent forms indicating that medical students may be involved with their care, these forms do not necessarily require the explicit disclosure of pelvic exams, and often times multiple students will perform the same exam on a patient or perform it in cases when is medically unnecessary:

"Ordinarily, consent forms at teaching hospitals will include language to inform the patient that medical students may be involved in their care. Patients are informed that (1) they are receiving care from a teaching hospital and (2) that medical students may be involved in their care … But there are cases where an instructor or attending doctor wants more than one student to examine the same patient or to have students examine patients for whom the particular pelvic examination is not indicated."

That is exactly my point. Signing many of these forms grants access. Disclosure of what may be done is not necessarily spelled out.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

When I was hospitalized for mononucleosis as a very young adult, it seemed as if every intern and student in the hospital was brought in to witness my "classic case of mono". After having a dozen students painfully palpate my liver, I told my doctor to stop. He told me I had granted permission, which is when I learned of this. My admission form granted students and interns access to routine exams. They did stop, however.

Read the forms whenever possible..or have a healthy family member read them carefully.
My first gynecologist was in a teaching hospital. I needed her, specifically, because she specifically was the reading expert in exactly my situation. I read my entire release, and didn't like it. It said they could photograph me for instructional purposes. At the time, I was extremely private, and that was too invasive. I crossed out several clauses in red ink before signing, knowing that if they signed too, and put it into my file, it was binding. The admin would not sign. An assistant came to talk to me about it, and explained that I would not receive care. I asked to speak directly to the doctor before deciding, but the truth is my mind was already hardened. I told the doctor who I was, and how I didn't mind extra people in my exams, extra eyes on my medical imaging, things like that, but I would not permit photography, and I would not permit publishing my medical imaging, though publishing a description of my case in general terms was fine. I told her that I had been told she couldn't see me if I didn't consent to these horribly invasive terms, and described how I'd been reasigned to three gynecologists in the affiliated clinic before a visit during which all three of them described why they didn't know how best to help me, and assured me that she, and only she would know how to help. Then I told her how painful my period was, and what kind of heavy responsibilities it prevented me from meeting during the worst of it. I burst into tears, which to me was almost as humiliating as the idea that they would potentially publish photos of my body in textbooks or journals. With wet eyes, the doctor squeezed my hands, and promised to see what she could do. She gave me a box of tissues. When she returned, she performed the first exam of our relationship, which lasted until I aged out of her specialty.

One thing that release did not say was that anyone other than my doctor would touch me.

Reactions: Enid and TexanStar

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That is exactly my point. Signing many of these forms grants access. Disclosure of what may be done is not necessarily spelled out.
I didn't see that this thread had more posts. Sorry.

Here's the thing. You're wrong, ethically. If you don't tell a patient what she can expect, and then you do something you failed to inform about when she's unconscious, you're assaulting her, AND neglecting one of the most important ethical requirements of modern medicine: informed consent. In modern medicine, if the patient is not informed, there is no consent. There is case law to support this; I know from when an attorney in our family discussed with us something that happened to my mother. My mother had, in a lucid moment after pain management had worn of, improved her understanding of a surgery to which she had consented. She changed her mind. Same teaching hospital as my gynecologist a few years later. They told her the operation was already scheduled, and would proceed. She asked to see the consent she had signed, and they refused to give it to her. She called her sister. It was 4AM, and her operation was to be at 9. My aunt was a hefty lady. Some violence may have occurred. My aunt secured my mother's entire file, destroyed the consent form while battered hospital staff protested, and then at a more decent hour, more of my family, including an excellent litigator, sat in the room waiting to see her doctors, and requesting to meet with the surgeon.

When a patient doesn't understand what will happen to her, she cannot grant consent. This practice is unethical where it is legal, specifically because it skirts real consent. In some places it is implied that it is illegal, and in others, it is specified. There is no consent unless it is informed consent. No sound argument can be made against this.

I find it telling that no charges were filed against my aunt. They didn't even call the police, and hospital security did not attempt to remove her from my mother's side.