Not sure if its been posted, but ladies whats up with Mr Grey

mwBBC

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Tell me this guy doesn't have issues and yet the box office brought him over 90 million so far from all the wooing women. Even Oprah loved the books. Can anyone seem to explain this to me. I mean I like the idea of being a dominant.\, but this man is grizzly like.

Last edited:

SolK95

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Tell me this guy doesn't have issues and yet the box office brought him over 90 million so far from all the wooing women. Even Oprah loved the books. Can anyone seem to explain this to me. I mean I like the idea of being a dominant.\, but this man is grizzly like.

BDSM culture is very misunderstood outside of those who practice it, when exposed to it (even though what is seen is NOT real BDSM nor would i condone it) they either run away in fear or get lost in the fantasy. Unfortunately, ANYONE who has ever done even a wikipedia search on BDSM knows that this is a horrifying tale of abuse, romanticized as a typical BDSM relationship. The writer herself even acknowledged the fact that she did no prior research on the topic before grinding out this garbage.

It would be one thing if the books and media actually acknowledge this relationship as an abusive one, but that's not the case, they romanticized it instead.

For those who truly don't know this or think it's a joke, this book was and is Twilight Fanfiction. Horrible HORRIBLE twilight fanfiction. There's nothing wrong with writing fanfiction about a abuse and enjoying reading it, but pretending it's anything but is wrong.

Last edited:

mwBBC

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Well the writer must be either a battered woman filled with issues, or a BDSM participant herself. Nevertheless, sinister, but clever way to make a buck.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Haven't read it or watch or have any intention to.

Tried reading it and got horribly bored. My experiences with kink have been much more entertaining.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Well the writer must be either a battered woman filled with issues, or a BDSM participant herself. Nevertheless, sinister, but clever way to make a buck.

The writer was not a BDSM participant at all. She knows nothing of which she speaks. She has done damage to the BDSM community and promoted abuse against women under the guise of romance. "No" does not mean "yes".

The writer, and I use the term loosely, is a silly twit who has set back the empowerment of women and endangered the lives of girls by romanticizing the idea of violence and lack of voice, and promoting the amoral bad boy as a viable partner, as long as he has enough money.

SolK95

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
the writer was not a bdsm participant at all. She knows nothing of which she speaks. She has done damage to the bdsm community and promoted abuse against women under the guise of romance. "no" does not mean "yes".

The writer, and i use the term loosely, is a silly twit who has set back the empowerment of women and endangered the lives of girls by romanticizing the idea of violence and lack of voice, and promoting the amoral bad boy as a viable partner, as long as he has enough money.

preach

Mercurygirl

Superior Member
Media
As I've written before on this forum ...

Easily and by far the worst 9 chapters I have ever read. Only 9 because I couldn't bear to continue reading. It had nothing to do with the subject matter but the writing itself. Never have I read such a poorly constructed, grammatically infantile, load of shit in my life. The fact E.L. James managed to make millions off it is one of the greatest hoodwinks in the history of publishing.

I pity the women who believe Fifty Shades of Grey is a good book, who recommend it to other women, for it is truly a testament to their lack of intelligence and a clear indication that our education system has failed us.

Don't get me wrong I certainly dig a little kink in my relationship but the fact that a novel so undeserving the praise has hyped and scammed it's way into setting literary and box office records make me physically ill. The very thought of it's success is so utterly cringe worthy it actually makes me feel ashamed to be a woman.

Last edited:

justacynic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
As I've written before on this forum ...

Easily and by far the worst 9 chapters I have ever read. Only 9 because I couldn't bear to continue reading. It had nothing to do with the subject matter but the writing itself. Never have I read such a poorly constructed, grammatically infantile, load of shit in my life. The fact E.L. James managed to make millions off it is one of the greatest hoodwinks in the history of publishing.

I pity the women who believe Fifty Shades of Grey is a good book, who recommend it to other women, for it is truly a testament to their lack of intelligence and a clear indication that our education system has failed us.

Don't get me wrong I certainly dig a little kink in my relationship but the fact that a novel so undeserving the praise has hyped and scammed it's way into setting literary and box office records make me physically ill. The very thought of it's success is so utterly cringe worthy it actually makes me feel ashamed to be a woman.

This is pretty much what why wife told me. "She struggles to put together subject verb sentences. I find it totally distracting!"

Draconis71

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It can't be THAT bad...
... Can it?
I have not read/viewed it.
It has an acquaintance of mine wanting me to help her fulfill a bondage/rape fantasy of hers. I have a bad feeling it would be a bad thing all around for her.

50 Shades != an example of healthy, consensual, risk aware kink, bdsm, etc.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It can't be THAT bad...
... Can it?
I have not read/viewed it.
It has an acquaintance of mine wanting me to help her fulfill a bondage/rape fantasy of hers. I have a bad feeling it would be a bad thing all around for her.

I read all three books because it was a complete train wreck, grammatically, as a story, and as a portrayal of safe, sane kink. I meant to buy one for my kindle, but clicked too fast and didn't realize I bought the trilogy. I have read books so bad I had to stop. I never before read anything so bad I couldn't stop. It is that bad. The moral of its story is that one may freely abuse his lover as long as she's too weak to stop him, he constantly apologizes and provides jewels and supercars, admits to being messed up while doing nothing to improve himself, and buys a beautiful house before knocking her up. Totally fine.

Shock Jocks are popular too. Mostly for their entertainment value, not for the quality of their opinions.