Not sure if this belongs here.....

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't have an issue with it - it was a simple courtesy to make it easier to open a discussion with a foreign leader on issues of greater importance than a 700 year old marble tit. Mutual respect is not a sign of weakness. Had the Iranian leader been photographed around statuary that is contrary to his countries religious beliefs it would seriously undermine him at home. Thanks to this guy the world has 250,000 less weapons grade nuclear material in it.

All we are saying, is give peace a chance.

I don't have an issue with it - it was a simple courtesy to make it easier to open a discussion with a foreign leader on issues of greater importance than a 700 year old marble tit. Mutual respect is not a sign of weakness. Had the Iranian leader been photographed around statuary that is contrary to his countries religious beliefs it would seriously undermine him at home. Thanks to this guy the world has 250,000 less weapons grade nuclear material in it.

All we are saying, is give peace a chance.
So it's not a case of "When in Rome" ? I'm all for respecting a countries beliefs' and customs. I understand how Italian people would be offended if it is their culture and heritage that is offended in their own country, by their own Prime Minister. Don't you?

Jjz1109

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
A gesture of respect is never insane.

Where is the respect for the hosts' culture? When in Rome (no pun)...where does it end? Who is to decide what is offensive or disrespectful?

You go to a topless beach, you're gonna see some tits. Do I decide who needs to cover up because I find them offensive? When a society starts to compromise its values and beliefs, we're in serious trouble.

It's nothing earth shattering, it's just that I am a bit weary of the same jargon in the political forums. Thought I'd change it over why it was necessary to cover nude statues in a country where basically every statue at every fountain is nude or semi nude.

I understand it would make the Italians look good in the eyes of Iranians to go a little bit along the way of modesty for their leader by covering some of their famous artwork.

Art is art, in all it's forms. It's not the first time, nor will it be the last that it does not at least offend some at sometime. It would not be art.

Cover = offend. Uncover = offend. Arty just can't win :)

BillM

LPSG Legend
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Beverly Hills (California, United States)
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Art is art, in all it's forms. It's not the first time, nor will it be the last that it does not at least offend some at sometime. It would not be art.

Cover = offend. Uncover = offend. Arty just can't win :)
That true with life in general!! Bill

Reactions: 185248

Boobalaa

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What next, covering up crucifixes? The Pieta?
No, depends on where you live..in Texas you can carry your gun to class if you want,, no offense there..
Certain states opted out of the Affordable Care Act sign up process for their residents, no offense there
Certain states have issues with following Supreme Court decisions regarding a woman's bodily functions and sexual preferences of men and women..no offense there

Actually, I think the timber boxes had that, how you say, je ne sais quoi. Stroke of artistic genius.

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Where is the respect for the hosts' culture? When in Rome (no pun)...where does it end? Who is to decide what is offensive or disrespectful?

You go to a topless beach, you're gonna see some tits. Do I decide who needs to cover up because I find them offensive? When a society starts to compromise its values and beliefs, we're in serious trouble.

It is simply being a good host, reaching out to someone who is trying to reach out to you. The unwillingness to make this small of an accommodation goes to the reason that politics in this country in broken beyond repair. Consider the shit Republicans have been giving Chris Christie - not a favorite of mine by any stretch - but for the crime of giving the President of the US a hug at a time of national disaster he sees his poll numbers drop. I can give you a lot of reasons not to vote for him, but being polite to the President is not one of them.

All the Italians did was temporarily cover a few ancient tits to accommodate another leaders religiously mandated modesty. He did not destroy them, he did not demand they do it - only idiots would see it as a bad thing.

I spose if you wanted to make light out of the situation, one could have dressed the statues in suitable Iranian ladies attire......but that would be a stupid Aussie humour like thing to do to take the piss out of a situation....mmmmmmmaybe not :)

I don't think in diplomatic circles the way of doing things would be to call another an idiot if trying to resolve tricky situations. I know it happens in this forum often. Differences in beliefs are often the cause of said friction, what makes friction worse is inability to understand another's view.. Pope Julius was happy with Angelo's work, Pope Pius was not happy with the nudes and ordered them to be covered up.

I doubt whether anyone back then called anyone an idiot, being nude, or covering.

It continues to this day. And, we think as humans we have evolved.....:)

If only the three stooges were painted on the ceiling, then humour may be universal. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk, and the wise guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jjz1109

Perados

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So... nude statues been covered and Americans critics this.
A nation where you can't show a nipple on TV, where people are offended if man show a bulge in speedos at the beach.

I wonder where the difference is ;)

Reactions: keenobserver

So... nude statues been covered and Americans critics this.
A nation where you can't show a nipple on TV, where people are offended if man show a bulge in speedos at the beach.

I wonder where the difference is ;)
But, to see Pamela striding down the beach in a one piece is a wonder, almost religious experience to behold :)