notebook computers

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have a Dell that I use for work and I love it. Mrs. Lex also has a Dell notebook which she can not live without.

I guess it all comes down to whether you desire portability. Notebooks are expensive and costly (compared to desktops). Being able to carry it in my breifbag is nice, however.

BlackCock85

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have a PowerBook G4...yea a MAC. You should come over to the MAC side and I assure you that you will not be dissapointed....preferrably a MAcbook Pro or if you don't mind a notebook a little smaller a MAcBook. I love my baby....even if she's falling apart :rolleyes:

jdcnow

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Mine is an HP Pavilion ze2000 laptop. My desktop computer at home an e-Machines brand. I can honestly say that both HP and e-Machines brand computers have served me well.

I got my HP laptop at Wal-Mart's Day-After-Thanksgiving Blitz sale, last year. Asking price was $378.00. Unfortunately Wally World will not have a big sale this year, due to their stupidity of cutting out layaway. So their spreading their sales out over the next month and a half, from now until Christmas. But don't get me started on my soapbox tirade against Wal-Mart.

But yes, my HP Pavilion that I bought from Wally World has WLAN, so I can connect to the net where ever there's a wireless hotspot. It's good for connecting to the internet and what I need it for. I like HP.

horsehungtim

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
it depends on what you're looking for. notebooks (in general) cost twice as much as their desktop counterparts. most modern laptops will do everything you need them to do....burning...HD space...etc.

it depends on personal preference

The Chosen One

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It would likley be best to hold out a little while:
1. Prices have been falling.
2. A new version of Windows (Vista) is just coming out.
3. New generation of hard drives (flash-hybrids) are also about to come out.

BlackCock85

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
it should be noted that

1 not getting a MAC
2 money isnt really a problem
3 i want a notebook not a deaktop

Awww why no MAC? :confused:

I have heard from many people that Dells are horrible though, In fact my roommate just got a new one sent to her because the other one was just so bad. Not bashing on Dells or who like them/have them just what I've heard and something to possibly think about. And of course I've gone MAC and never going back hehe. :rolleyes:

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm using an IBM ThinkPad T-series, for a little more than $1,400 after the customization. However, that was the price from january/february, and I'm sure they are cheaper meanwhile. I've also heard from a colleague that he has gotten an equally performing notebook from a company surplus store for $800.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is there any REAL reason TO buy a Mac unless:

1. you work with high-level graphics and music/media files

2. you don't want your files to be easily portable

?

3. You're under enormous stress of computer geeks who all hate the big software industry and force you to use unhandy, complicated software that either requires an investment of $ 200 in manuals, or $ 130 for a small program from an obscure Ukrainian software developer that makes the shitty thing compatible with the handy, user-friendly word.

4. You like computers that are like Italian cars: Stylish, but bitchy and extravagant.

chico8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Is there any REAL reason TO buy a Mac unless:

1. you work with high-level graphics and music/media files

2. you don't want your files to be easily portable

?

Office for the Mac is one of Microsoft's biggest sellers and it's highly profitable as Mac buyers don't get a discount like PC owners do when it's bundled.

There are no files that I'm aware of that I can't use on my Mac. It's a big and endless fallacy, spread to steer people away from Macs.

Now that Apple is using Intel chips and providing the ability to run Windows natively on a Mac, even those specialized programs written solely for Windows are usable without having to go over to the dark side.

The Mac movie making suite has meant that more and more films are being made due to the sharp reduction in costs for independent film makers. To claim that Macs are solely meant for movies and photos is really lame though.

I've never had to buy virus protection software nor spend hours maintaining it. Macs simply are cheaper in the long run and much of the spam out there is due to the inherent insecurity of Windows.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
HP stuff is good, if sometimes a tad overpriced for the spec. Toshiba make some good stuff (am using one now) as do Sony though Sony can be rather too proprietory. Claire, I guess you know IBM is now owned by Lenovo - and made in China, still good though. I know IBM was over priced across the board but I've not checked since Lenovo bought the brand, again too proprietory, especially on their desktops (ironic really).

'Sorry' in advance to Heather here but I wouldn't touch a Dell laptop with a bargepole. This based on over 5 years of fixing them when the invariably go wrong a week out of warranty (if they last that long). Good value servers tho! I know many swear by them but my experience has been mostly swearing AT them.....:eek:

I've nothing against MACs other than cost. Besides the fact they look funky they no longer do anything any better than Wintel machine can and at lower cost so I don't see what the fuss is about. Moving to the Intel platform was a smart move for Apple (I hope)

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
'Sony though Sony can be rather too proprietory.'...:confused: what that means Dong?

I have a Sony Vaio...I think is good if you understand about it..:biggrin1: but dont know if it is a notebook or laptop and the difference between them.

Good luck HP!

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Get yourself a dell, and pay the extra 10.00 for the Drivers/Re-installation CD.

I've worked on a crapton of HP products, and it's nothing but proprietary hardware that is difficult to get drivers for, and slow ass support.

HP Laptops are o.K... nothing to shout home about, and fall in the above serviceability category.
Compaq laptops are a joke.

The HP desktops are the biggest piece of crap I have ever worked on, right next to the E-machine. I dont know of many e-machines that made it through their second year, due to the power supply failing, taking everything inside with it, or the board going bad.

For $1100, you can get a top of the line Dell laptop with a wide screen etc.
Plus Serviceability is much nicer.

STEER CLEAR of no-name/oddball Laptops.
I have 2 of them here for parts only, as the manufacturers don't exist anylonger, and no parts are available, if you need a board or other parts.

I always ask for the Parts only warranty for 3 years.
It's not listed on Dell's website, but if you ask and persist enough, theyll conveniently find it.
That allows you to replace your own parts, AND costs about HALF of what their "AT Home" service does.

wishiwashung

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I would say that you definitelty can't go wrong buying an HP/Compaq laptop. Sunce they are the same company and all, I just very recently bought a Compaq V3015NR and it works great and gets about 3 hours battery life and is very fast! It cost about $950. If you get one though make sure to burn your recovery disks... immediately!

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
'Sony though Sony can be rather too proprietory.'...:confused: what that means Dong?

I have a Sony Vaio...I think is good if you understand about it..:biggrin1: but dont know if it is a notebook or laptop and the difference between them.

Good luck HP!

Proprietary means manufacturer specific.
You can't get parts anywhere else for it.
Which means your STUCK paying TOP DOLLAR for the manufacturer parts.
Generic parts that have a much better warranty won't work in these.

C

BlackCock85

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Office for the Mac is one of Microsoft's biggest sellers and it's highly profitable as Mac buyers don't get a discount like PC owners do when it's bundled.

There are no files that I'm aware of that I can't use on my Mac. It's a big and endless fallacy, spread to steer people away from Macs.

Now that Apple is using Intel chips and providing the ability to run Windows natively on a Mac, even those specialized programs written solely for Windows are usable without having to go over to the dark side.

The Mac movie making suite has meant that more and more films are being made due to the sharp reduction in costs for independent film makers. To claim that Macs are solely meant for movies and photos is really lame though.

I've never had to buy virus protection software nor spend hours maintaining it. Macs simply are cheaper in the long run and much of the spam out there is due to the inherent insecurity of Windows.

Thanks for agreeing, Since coming to the MAC side I've never had to worry about virus and spyware and all the stuff that was driving me insane with my HP and would cause it to run very slow. I'd seriously consider a Mac and not just brush it off because of a lot of misunderstandings.