Now if they just did this every issue...

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Fleur, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Fleur

Gold Member

2. D_Rawkesbye Deadheade

If only they did. No more of those super skinny models. Give us real women!

3. eyescream

Gold Member

This might sound cruel but these models are a little on the "big" side. I know women who look like that and their BMI is on the "overweight" side of the scale.

I believe all women are beautiful but if magazines had pictures like these all the time it could send a negative message to young women telling them to gain some weight and they might put on a little too much.

It comes down to health and when it comes to eating, people should eat right. People should avoid being underweight like most skinny supermodels but being overweight is just as bad.

4. Fleur

Gold Member

BMI is bullshit. Didn't P & T do an episode on it?? My BMI is "overweight" and I just had an annual exam, bloodwork, the works. Everything came back normal...even my cholesterol (good and bad), my blood pressure, liver function, kidney function, heart...etc. etc.

BMI was developed by some moronic mathematician who knew jack about nutrition and medicine. BMI doesn't take into account a lot of important factors...most medical professionals don't even use it.

That doesn't change the fact that right now I'm working on eating healthier and losing a bit of weight.

I think it's a bit silly to mention it would give young girls the wrong message...magazines already do...being super skinny is just as unhealthy as being super fat. In fact, if we want to go by BMI, these girls are more "healthy" (closer to 20-25) than those skinny girls/models (more like 12-16) are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index#Limitations_and_shortcomings

#4 Fleur, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  5. eyescream

Gold Member

BMIs aren't that accurate because e.g. big very breasts would make the woman heavier. But no matter now inaccurate it is, surely it gives some indication on someone's weight.

I didn't say the magazines should leave the skinny models on their pages. I'm just saying that they're making it sound like they're doing something better by having more "fuller" woman on their pages when to me, I see the same thing: women with visible weight issues.

We all have different perspectives on what's considered normal, so through my eyes I just feel these women are a little overweight. Definitely sexier than skinny models though.

6. KTF40

Gold Member

Albums:
    Agreed

Also this quote, “Big, little, pint-size, plus-size-every body is beautiful. And this issue is out to prove it.”

I'm probably going to catch a lot of shit for this but I disagree with this mindset completely. This same mindset has a lot to do with the overwhelming obesity rates in the US.

Look at these statistics
    Obesity Statistics for Adults, Children

This whole idea that no matter what you're weight is, "it's ok, you're beautiful, etc" is getting ridiculous. If you are overweight, people should be encouraging you to lose weight, not telling you everything is ok and you look fine. Same can be said if you are too skinny, but let's face it that really isn't as big a problem effecting our society today.

7. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Oh for fuck's sake!! I don't usually mind your posts, those I've read, but that's a steaming pile of shite.

LOOK at those women - there is nothing unhealthy about any of them. I read your post and thought I'd be seeing a page with 300lb women... but no. These women have slight spare tyres, a little extra padding, we're talking US size 16 / 18 at most, I'm guessing. These are not unhealthy women. MILLIONS of women are similar sizes to these women and for once, JUST ONCE, teenage girls who are a US size 14 (for example) might get to look at a model the same size as them and see her presented as sexy, desirable, not ugly.

And you think that is a bad thing?

You think those women look unhealthy? They are probably in better overall shape than the fucking airbrushed size 0 stick insects that normally 'grace; the pages of this magazines and 100's of others like it. You tip your own hat in that direction but it is empty honking. Look at the pictures again. Those are NORMAL women.

Fuck you and your stupid, misguided, media-led bullshit opinions of what is 'healthy' and what is not.

8. Fleur

Gold Member

I never said that. All I'm saying is either side of the spectrum is bad...it's pointless to get up in arms over curvy girls who may or may not be a little overweight when the norm is clearly emaciated girls. To me these girls look healthy.

Fact is, some of these girls look like me, and I'm healthy...my doctor didn't even say "you need to lose weight"...even if I am doing that now.

It would be ideal of there were just women in magazines that were healthy, representative of the norm period...end of story.

#8 Fleur, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  9. tasteslikejellyjam

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    do I know you or you just trying to score brownie points? XD

magazines are lame in general...
    instead of book burnings they should have magazine burnings...
    its all rubbish...
    its like watching TV commercials for their informational/educational value...

10. Fleur

Gold Member

He already knows he doesn't need anymore brownie points from me...as I <3 him lots. As far as the other like-bodied women on here...that's another story. :wink:

11. KTF40

Gold Member

Albums:
    Uh, I never said you said that. The article you linked to said that. The article says everyone is beautiful no matter your size which isn't a good message to send imo. 40 million people in this country are obese. Telling them everything is ok and they're beautiful seems kind of dumb when you consider all the medical problems/risks that increase due to that excess weight.

12. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

i just dont see why they need to make it a big deal. just start using bigger models and say nothing. Magazines promote negative images and negative images promote eating disorders, and there is nothing as hurtful as that. my ex suffered both from bulllimia and Anorexia at various stages and no doubt still does. Seeing this beautiful girl who could turn me on with a smile think she looked like shit and get so worked up over a food baby killed me. she didnt understand that a small girl (5'2) with pretty big boobs (32E) and an hour glass figure, isnt going to be a size zero. but magazines and other people said she had to be skinny. she hated that my favourite parts of her were soft.

as someone studying journalism, i really want to start a magazine with the idea of using normal women, but not making a deal of it. just make normal people appear normal in magazines. Ill get back to you when its done....

13. Fleur

Gold Member

You also have to consider the source...it's a silly gossip website...but I couldn't find another site that showed all the pictures...I'm in no way promoting whatever the blogger said...I barely read that...oops?:tongue:

14. NotSoDumb_Blonde

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
  15. wallyj84

Gold Member

She's right though. Those women are fat. They seem to generally be on the lower end of the fat spectrum, but they are still fat.

I'm not saying that they were unhealthy. But I wouldn't say that they were "normal" either. I think they were definitely bigger than average.

16. Serial Kisser

Serial Kisser Well-Known Member

I saw this on another blog, and I don't think they flattered those womens' figures well at all =/
    I'm overweight and looking at some of those really was a turn off.

17. DGirl

Gold Member

my bestfriend is a big girl. Only because she has a FAT( yes I said it) ass and Huge boobs! If she was a SKINNY chick..
    Poor girl will have mega BACK problems...

GOOD THREAD!!!!!!

18. cacksas

cacksas New Member

Albums:
    While you (and them) may be healthy at the moment, long term obesity (or being slightly) overweight does affect health over a period of time. I will agree with you though to a certain extent--BMI isn't the greatest determinant of health. At one point in my life I was 5'10" and slightly over 200lbs of muscle. I competed in power lifting competitions and was very big (completely different than my 178lbs at the moment). When I checked my BMI levels I was quite higher than optimal, yet my cardiovascular fitness levels and strength levels were all above optimal.

But, I will say, while I do not dislike those body's in the original post at all, they are far from optimal and healthy.

I do agree with you on magazines though, it would be refreshing if they were to post normal looking people more often than not.

19. ThickMeatJacker

ThickMeatJacker New Member

Albums:
    I was going to mention that an average woman's size here in the USA is in the 16-18 range. Most models in this country are in the size 0 or less. There is already a disconnect between what size women really are and what the media presents. Personally, I think all of the women highlighted in the original post are quite lovely, with real bodies, and probably in that 16-18 maybe 20 range of dress size.
    Personally, uber-skinny women are not appealing to me at all. I like a woman who looks like she has eaten in the last week or so. I think it is refreshing that this magazine chose to reflect fashion for all women, not just a minor fraction of the population.
    As for BMI, I don't doubt that as a "Rule of Thumb" it provides some useful information, but can not be an indicator of health or lack there of. What do you suppose the BMI is of a female shot put contestant or a women's hockey player or maybe women's heavy weight crew? I'll be willing to bet BMI would say many of them are obese too, but could it be argued that they are unhealthy?
    For what it is worth V magazine has another preview set of pictures from this upcoming issue. It depicts two models wearing the same outfits and doing the same poses, with two different body styles. Take a look. Who would you choose? My bias is to choose the larger one, I think she is much more healthy and realistic looking than the uber-skinny model. Check it out here: V Magazine preview: One Size Fits All by Terry Richardson

and if you want to see the V Magazine full size versions of the OP pictures here they are. V Magazine preview: Curves Ahead by Solve Sundsbo

And finally, the the OP, you rock it Ms. Fluer!

20. AbeFroman

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    BMI is a joke.

When I was playing soccer in college, I would have trouble keeping weight on, especially toward the end of the season. My body fat was under 4% back then. They had me on supplements, I saw a doctor at least weekly, they had me signing in at the dining halls and I was required eat a specific menu and quantity. Yet I still weighed more than my "ideal" weight. Riddle me that?

Draft saved Draft deleted