Now...........it's Newt???? Newt????

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mensch1351, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    I've been following politics since I was in the 4th grade and JFK ran against Nixon. Of course I didn't understand ALL of the nuances etc. AND it's pretty obvious that the political milleu in this nation has changed rather dramatically in the ensuing 50 years..........but for the life of me I'm trying to REALLY figure out why Newt Gingrich of all people is currently gaining the momentum he is in being the number one choice of voting Republicans!

OK you conservative guys on here. I'd be VERY interested to know the qualifications you think this man has to BE President....and why he might be YOUR candidate of choice!!
    And please....................please............don't bore us with the simpleton scarcastic reasoning, "Well......he ain't Obama!" I'd like reasoning FOR not rationale against!

Thanks for your input!

2. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's because the Republican base finds Romney inherently loathsome, but Newt is completely unelectable, as have been all the other non-Romneys.

3. tamati

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    a bible thumper named 'newt' as leader of the free world? thats even more hilarious than having a pizza guy run the show!

as i said before the GOP has no real intent in wining this election.

4. achillesx

achillesx Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Worst part is if they had a reasonable option, then they'd almost win by default. No way that they're getting the 18-24 year olds to vote in the same droves they did in the last election to vote for obama.

5. tamati

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    unless, of course, the kids come out to vote against newt. :tongue:

6. zephyr808

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I don't speak for conservatives, and I'm pretty new on here. Anyway, you mentioned the "he ain't Obama" factor, which explains how many Rs will vote next year, no matter who it is (including both my parents, sigh). What has been a bit puzzling for me this year is what definitely looks like a "s/he ain't Romney" vibe feeding on itself within Republican circles. The swings have been like the stock market lately, with Bachmann, Perry and Cain all having they're meteoric rises and equally dramatic falls. I read this online, it may have been just a snarky comment somewhere but it stuck with me: this is all a ploy, the Rs know it will be Romney but if they make it look like a closer race than it is, it keeps them in the news cycle. And keeps the debates relevant to the punditry class. I'm not completely sold on this, but it makes more sense than a lot of the theories floating around.

I have to wonder if Romney locking it up, especially early on, will reveal a fracture or splinter group, probably the fundamentalists and tea party-ers, who would rather concede a second term to Obama than feel as though they are being taken for granted.

7. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    I saw a news clip today that has me firmly convinced that Donald Trump will run as an independent, supposedly on the grounds that the GOP has picked the "wrong person" to run against Obama (he never said who he thought the "right person" was, but I suspect his name begins with a "T").

The GOP (sensing the ploy) is fairly livid over the so-called "Donald Trump debate", and several among the party have suggested boycotting it. The (s)hits keep coming.

8. B_enzia35

B_enzia35 New Member

Buddy, you're as confused as I am.

9. B_24065

B_24065 New Member

Again... if an inexperienced community organizer, with ties to Bill Ayers can get elected to the presidency of the united states, ANYBODY can, including and especially, Newt Gingrich.

It seems people forget that 3 years ago we elected a guy who was 10,000 times more unelectable on paper than anyone running today. But idiocy, media cover ups and mass hysteria ushered him into the White House.

Newt Can win, and if he is the nominee, he WILL BE the next president. Believe it.

10. B_24065

B_24065 New Member

You are right. they dont want a job, just more welfar checks. You libs have so much to be proud of....

11. AmiralMauth

AmiralMauth New Member

If membership on this forum didn't tell you already, I am not the most conservative of people. As of a few months ago, however, I am a registered Republican and plan to vote for Ron Paul at least in the primaries.

I get the feeling that other Republicans, apart from Ron Paul Republicans and perhaps some other groups, are looking for a leader. Mr. Gingrich's current popularity is in my opinion due to no more than the amount of attention he's gotten in the media recently, and the fact that Republicans have tried and failed other candidates such as Ms. Bachmann and Mr. Cain.

I do not believe that he will become the GOP candidate. Even if he does, I do not believe he will truly be able to clinch the right-leaning base. He is an establishment politician through and through, and the results of the 2010 Congressional elections should make it clear that the right-leaning base is no longer interested in such things.

12. B_24065

B_24065 New Member

Newt Gingrich is was rising in the polls long before the media began to give him attention for one reason onlky, and that was his performance in the debates.

Did you watch any of the debates?

To those of you who have not, you havent a clue what you are talking about in regards to Newt.

Many on the left are giddy at the idea of a Gingrich nomination. I truly believe you have no idea what you are wishing for. Newt will pulvarize Obama on a daily basis.

If Obama has accomplished 25% of what he sold to the American people in 08 then this wouldnt even be an issue. Obama would win. But with a 15 trillion dollar debt, 8+% unemployment, miserable foreign policy blunders, and gridlock in Washington, Newt's baggage isnt going to matter.

13. tamati

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    a life long lib and many generations of lib's in my family.
    ...but really leaning towards paul for his stance against continually stirring up shit overseas.

14. sargon20

Gold Member

Why are you still posting here?

Obama Starts 2010 With 50% Approval

15. houtx48

Gold Member

If Libs never work who is voting in all these free subsidies all you people keep whining about. Someone libs must be working otherwise the Cons would have never passed any of this type of legislation. 15 billion debt has Newt's finger prints on it as well, it's not like he was not there in the beginning

16. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    All the Republican candidates are so weak and so vulnerable due to their records, their feeble-mindedness or personal flaws, I can't help thinking that unless they can find a non-Romney centrist to run, Obama will eat them alive... and the do-nothing 112th Congress.

If the economy improves even just a little bit, he'll be a shoe-in. People haven't forgotten who's watch it was when they tanked the world economy. Or who invade the f...ing wrong country. Or who ignored Richard Clark for that matter.

17. gymfresh

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

Community organizer? Oh, you mean the US Senator and Illinois state senator, former professor of constitutional law at the University of Chicago, civil rights attorney and erstwhile president of Harvard Law Review vs. the divisive failure who was disciplined by the US House of Representatives and resigned in disgrace 3 days after getting elected to his last term? The guy who couldn't get tenure as a geography instructor? The one who busies himself writing "historical fiction" books and leaving ailing wives for women he's already having affairs with? Yeah, that's a great sell.

18. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
  19. 2_fister

2_fister Member

Albums:

...yeah, more "welfar".:rolleyes:

20. sargon20

Gold Member

...what kind of politician can meet [these] basic G.O.P. requirements? There are only two ways to make the cut: to be totally cynical or totally clueless.

Send in the Clueless

Draft saved Draft deleted