Now This is How to Make Your Point

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by OhWiseOne, Feb 10, 2012.

1. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
  2. D_Amadeus_Mofart

D_Amadeus_Mofart Account Disabled

Holy shit. That's actually amazing, I mean.. completely over the top way to get the message across.. but absolutely justified.

America could you a hell of a lot more parents just like that. Good on him.

Thanks for the share.

3. LargeSide

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I saw that earlier this morning, and thought it was absolutely hilarious!

4. spoon

Gold Member

Albums:
    i hope he posts an update. i'd love to hear how the daughter reacted. loved the father.

5. Remington

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    We need more fathers like this guy.

6. crescendo69

Gold Member

This family needs a little therapy.

7. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Good for him. But some family therapy is obviously in order.

8. spoon

Gold Member

Albums:
    there are allot of families that need therapy.

9. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I think the dads form of therapy is quite affective.

10. LargeSide

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Anger management.

11. Redwyvre

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wow! If his daughter actually wrote that essay I'd say he should be proud of writing skills. Obviously, she doesn't enjoy doing housework...
    I've always heard it more difficult to raise daughters than sons, then again it's a miracle anyone survives living with a teenager.

12. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Massive parenting fail. He's a raised a kid who needs to get that off her chest in secret because she can't talk to her parents. When he said "This one is from your mom" with such anger, it felt like the target of the bullet was actually the girl, not the laptop.

Sounds like the kid has too many daily chores as well. Dishes, kitchen, floors and make the beds every day after school. The beds don't get made until after school?? yuck. WTF is the cleaning lady doing?

No one ever said being parent was going to be easy. The more you talk and more importantly LISTEN, the easier it is for the whole family.

#12 vince, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  13. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    Deplorable. That father shouldn't have displayed that level of violence in response to normal behavior from a teenager. I think that was juvenile and he was being a terrible role model. That is not how an adult handles problems, but he's teaching his kids that it is. He acted like a psycho.

I think children should be taught how to do everyday housework. It does sound like she has too much to do, though. She shouldn't have to do so much that she doesn't get enough sleep. When I was a kid, there were times when I woke up at 4 am to finish my work because I ran out of time the night before. It was too much pressure. There is a limit and it sounds like he's crossing it to me.

#13 petite, Feb 10, 2012
  14. Redwyvre

Gold Member

Albums:
    Obviously he's really upset, you can tell he is shaking. He probably should try to figure out a way to calm down.

15. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    As a parent I don't see it as a failure. He had warned her of this behavior previously and she chose to do it again. "In secret" she posted it on facebook, far from secret. Again, as a parent the shot for mom was not meant as mom wants to shoot her. If you listen to what she wrote it was complete disrespect for her parents. Sorry to say many kids have this mindset of you owe me and if I don't get it I can do whatever I want. Kids need to understand that what we as parents give them are just that gifts not right to ownership.

To many chores, you have got to be kidding. A child that only is responsible for going to school and she can't help her parents out that work everyday to give her a place to live, food to eat, clothes on her back and all the electronic gadgets.

Parenting is not easy. There is no book for it because every child is different. I do agree talk, listen, understand the other side. But at the end of the day the parent has the ultimate say and the child needs to understand that.

The saying "As long as you live under my roof you follow my rules". As I have said "when you are on your own, have your own place you can do whatever you choose to do."

Wow where did that come from.

16. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    There's a difference between taking away her laptop and grounding her because she was being disrespectful, and making a video of shooting the computer with a gun. He crossed the sanity line by doing the latter instead of the former and proved himself to be unfit as a role model. No matter what, he's supposed to be teaching her with his actions how adults are supposed to behave and handle problems. That means acting more mature than her. She's the child, he's the adult. No matter what she does, his response should be the mature one.

#16 petite, Feb 10, 2012
  17. Fade

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Um, pretty much everything petite said.

People everywhere often have this blown up self-entitlement issue and it's frustrating. She's a teenager. Teenagers do stupid shit. Taking away the laptop? Sure. Making a video of yourself shooting it? Pretty fucked up. :\

18. aninnymouse

Gold Member

THIS

What dude did was not the way to set a boundary. Not at all. That's one where you set the boundary by either getting rid of the laptop, or taking it away for an extended period. Not by destroying it. That shows an even greater lack of respect, IMO.

Honestly, I don't know anything about his daughter's chores, if they're excessive, or not. However, even if they are, that's not the way for her to react to her workload.

The whole family sounds rather fucked up, IMO.

19. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I will give some on the shooting of the laptop maybe a little to far. But I don't think I would say he is unfit as a role model. He appeared calm and very clear on his expectations of his daughter. Which she clearly said fuck what you want me to do. Petite's comment about taking "her" laptop away is one problem I have. It wasn't her laptop to begin with the dad/mom paid for it she was simply allowed to use it.

Do parents screw up sometimes sure they do. But I wonder in todays world if kids are expecting to be treated as equals. That is the message many are getting.

Anyway good conversation on this topic which I never expected.

20. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    I'm not in disagreement about the father removing the use of the laptop. My problem is that he showed her that pulling out a gun and shooting it at the laptop was how one would show one's disapproval. That is NOT how a person should make a point.

When she grows up and gets into an argument with her boyfriend and pulls out a gun because she feels disrespected, then will you think daddy did a bad job of teaching her how adults behave? He's not just teaching her about respect, he's also teaching her a lesson about guns and violence and inappropriate responses while a person is angry, and those lessons are the reasons why he's an unfit role model.

He's role modeling how one ends up in jail as an adult.

#20 petite, Feb 10, 2012
Draft saved Draft deleted