Nude Chocolate Jesus on Cross

GeorgeTSLC

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I really don't think the choice of material was intended to reflect an opinion on skin tone; if it reflects anything other than (literal) taste it would be the material used for conventional chocolate Santas, Easter Bunnies, etc.

But as for white chocolate, it's rare that even a housebound Irishman is THAT light! A Jew traipsing around the sunny Middle East with "nowhere to lay his head" would more likely be significantly tanned, no?

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
However, as a Christian, I am offended. Yes, Jesus is sweet. We sing an old gospel song at my church entitled "He's Sweet I Know". Licking a chocolate crucifix on Easter is repulsive. While the skin color of Jesus is probably more realistic in milk chocolate than most pictures of him looking Anglo-Saxon, Jesus is not something or someone that anyone should be mocking.

Well, I don't know. I think the crucifix itself is brutal symbolism period. A lot of people before and some after Jesus died were nailed on a cross. The crucifix is a symbol of severe punishment. Kinda like electric chairs, syringes, nooses, and gas chambers.

Then, again...I hope that people don't give me a chocolate Jesus on a chocolate cross. I love chocolates.

GeorgeTSLC

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think the crucifix itself is brutal symbolism period. A lot of people before and some after Jesus died were nailed on a cross. The crucifix is a symbol of severe punishment. Kinda like electric chairs, syringes, nooses, and gas chambers.
And some were tied on with ropes, I'm told. In either case you ended up dead after hours of suffering.

In some places, including Mexico and New Mexico, there are crucifixes that make the brutality of the commemoration more obvious, with dripping blood and an expression on the corpus's face indicating the unpleasant truth: That the standard "passion and death" phrase is euphemistic for "torture and execution". And yes, of course, it was a particularly painful method of capital punishment, far less humane than hanging with a neck-breaking drop or one-good-cut beheading. (The latter was an entitlement of Roman citizens, like St. Paul.)

The symbolism, on the other hand, is astonishingly tender: "I love you so much that I died for you. And yeah, it hurt. A lot!" Not that you have to believe that, but it IS the assertion behind every Christian crucifix--and more abstractly, behind every Christian cross.

Not, at Eastertide, to forget the other part of the symbolism: There's a story told here in Utah that a bigoted Mormon teacher asked a Catholic child why s/he wore a dead man around his or her neck. The Christian answer is that there was never anyone more alive.

P.S. I've yet to be convinced that the artwork is intended to be mocking of belief. I'd think it more likely to be mocking previous artworks.

Last edited:
Reactions: dreamer20

Adrian69702006

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Writing as a religious man I think the whole thing is wrong, bad and inappropriate. Most portayals of the crucifixion us a loin cloth for good reason. However what I particularly take exception to is the making of a chocolate crucifix. The crucifixion was a barbaric matter and it had to do with suffering and pain. Making a crucifix from chocolate is just plain bad.

conntom

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I really don't think the choice of material was intended to reflect an opinion on skin tone; if it reflects anything other than (literal) taste it would be the material used for conventional chocolate Santas, Easter Bunnies, etc.

But as for white chocolate, it's rare that even a housebound Irishman is THAT light! A Jew traipsing around the sunny Middle East with "nowhere to lay his head" would more likely be significantly tanned, no?

It was just a joke.... :)

I don;t believe in Jesus anyways.