Nude in High Rise Apartments

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by B_Austin Blue, Dec 3, 2008.

1. B_Austin Blue

B_Austin Blue New Member

Ok I have a question - I used to live in downtown Vancouver in the West End on Davie and Howe Street on the 18th floor of a high-rise building and I'd see all sorts of interesting things in the other buildings across from me and to left & right.

Many people would not pull their blinds down at night and well, I saw nude guys and girls, and sex.

But now I live in the suburbs and I'm on the 9th floor of another highrise and there's another highrise directly in front of me.

I love being nude. On my days off work, I lounge in the buff and walk about my apartment naked, but I've kept the blinds closed for privacy.

Is it illegal to be nude in your home with blinds open? I'm sorry for the question but I don't think it's illegal right?

What are your thoughts on people who wander around naked with curtains/blinds open?

thanks.

soreqb likes this.
  2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Might you be an exhibitionist?

3. B_Austin Blue

B_Austin Blue New Member

Maybe, but not really - I just want to allow the natural light into my apartment by opening the blinds slightly. I'm not sure about pulling the blinds up all the way and having everyone in the next building looking at me like i'm living in a fishbowl!

4. crescendo69

Gold Member

It is illegal if you are not attractive.:biggrin1:

No, I don't know Canada's laws, but I always assumed it to be illegal in the states.

5. k-otter

k-otter New Member

I had a neighbor in the building next door who I'd often see walking around naked, and sometimes even masturbating on the couch. He left his blinds open most of the time, and didn't seem to be bothered by the fact someone was looking at him, even if a man.

In any case I don't think it is illegal to walk around nude in your own apartment even if your windows and blinds are open, you're not forcing anyone to look at it?

6. southernstud

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I don't think it is illegal. I am sure that there may be some laws out there, but indecent exposure would be coming from outside your own property.

7. B_Austin Blue

B_Austin Blue New Member

In that case it must be illegal then for me ! :biggrin1:

8. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

I dont know about illegal but if the wrong sort of person saw and took offence I suppose the very worst they could do would be to call the cops and make a complaint - I dont think you would really get any trouble as long as its in your own home.

9. pronatalist

pronatalist Active Member

Wouldn't it sort of depend? If the next housing units windows are but a few feet away from yours, then shouldn't proper modesty tell us to close curtains or blinds at night?

However, if your windows are "exposed" to the world outside, but your nearest neighbor who might spot you, is so far away that they would need binoculars to see anything, then you aren't responsible for "peeping toms" who resort to tactics like getting out their binoculars or telescope. Or sometimes the angles are sort of wrong, so that it isn't particularly likely that anybody would see much of anything.

I think "community standards" applies somewhat too, towards defining what is decent, and what is "obscenity." If nobody else closes their blinds, presumably nobody would care if you close your blinds? Isn't it really more a matter of proper respect for your neighbors, than what the "law" technically says? I generally don't think people should be staring into people's car windows, or it's their own fault if they take "offense" at me picking my nose or whatever.

I think in general, it's okay to be naked or having sex, with windows not covered with curtains, during the day, to let in the daylight, as look at a neighbor's window to check. Usually you can't see anything but a dark rectangle, because it's brighter outside than inside. But during the night, windows glow and show off what goes on inside, so when the daylight disappears, it may be time to close the blinds or curtains.

As world population naturally grows, no doubt some people will see "things" from their highrise windows, as people naturally grow more numerous and naturally may tend to populate more densely together. I'm fine with that, to a reasonable extent. What people do inside their own homes, is generally their own business. I've read on some forum, somebody tell of hearing neighbors having sex, from nearby open windows during summer nights. I've not for overly concern about controlling the natural music of nearby humans reproducing, just so long as it is with their spouses, and they are properly welcoming and providing for and loving their possibly many children. I even used to have a cool screen saver, called Voyuer, or something or other, based on that topic. Of course it doesn't show any sex, but it does show people doing stuff, it's sort of silly actually.

BTW, I don't like to wear much clothing at home either, but I usually at least wear some boxers. The feeling of freedom from confining lumping pockets pants, doesn't at all require me to be completely naked. Presumably, most neighbors wouldn't be too alarmed to see a guy in boxers inside his own home? Some people probably answer their doors, without much more than that on, and then simply have to say, at the arrival of a welcome guest, "Wait a minute while I put on some clothes." Or "Step inside while I dress, if you want."

10. pronatalist

pronatalist Active Member

Even so, a police visit neighbor complaint would be embarassing. I would like to think that people could somehow be more civil, than ratting on their neighbors? Like maybe consider whether they might "ignore" some things, especially if it doesn't happen too often?

And I do think neighbors should be a bit "nosey," so as to keep the community safe from people or criminals who don't belong.

11. lorne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It depends what you do and who complains. They could give you a public nuisance, or disturbing the peace. If you are ass fucking a butt plug suctioned cupped to a window I wouldn't doubt you'd get public indecency. Some laws in Canada were set up for the reason of being flexible and adapted to new instances. I you keep it to chilling and walking around I doubt your going to get into trouble, You will likely get a warning before anything legal is issued.
    I used to walk around and hangout all the time in my apartment downtown. My room mate would occasionally join. Most of the time we'd do or daily stuff in underwear, or towel that sort of thing but on occasion it would be a nude day. She was more likely to do a topless activity then full nude(which I never complained about). I pretty much never closed my blinds when having sex there, and I know she never did and we both had used the balcony. Sometimes our game was to secretly catch neighboring building residents watching us. That was a good game because sometimes there were ones we wished weren't watching and we'd tease one another about the giant guy across the street who tried to talk to her at the bus stop after she caught him watching her in her room. We were both definitely exhibitionists and love the attention. In less crowded areas I am less likely to do most of this. Different feel, different vibe, maybe its cause Im older/ lazier. You definitely have to judge your neighbor hood appropriately. Downtown in hip young area mostly liberal minded singles-yes, cross the street from a day care down the street from elementary school and an old folks home- NO.

12. Howard1122

Howard1122 Member

I recall a case of this in Wellington in 1986 during the sharemarket boom of a young man "about town" and his girlfriend being routinely naked in their pent house apartment. This was one of the new modern all glass apartments. It was pointed out that they could be seen from the street at night, with the lights on. Amongst that set who made their money from various financial dealings doing edgy type activities was very typicial with a general buy-in of support from other stock brokers. So being advised you can be seen was like an acknowledgement. Later I heard of another case involving a young man. He also liked to be naked but was normally spied an by an elderly woman living nearby in the apartment complex. The matter came to an inglorious end, when one day fed up with the constant watching he flung the living room curtains open with an erection shouting "if you want to see me naked then take a look at this". Anyway the Police were called and he was arrested and then convicted of indecent behaviour. Howard.

13. matticus201

matticus201 Member

Albums:
    I would think that anyone caught staring at you in your apartment would get some kind of citation. That's a peeping tom. I live on the 4th floor of a midrise apartment and walk around naked a good bit of the time. Sometimes my blinds are open, but most of the time they are either half closed or closed.

14. RedScrotum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I recall a news story a couple of years back where a guy was masterbating inside his house in front of the picture window. The lady across the street compained and the cops came and told him to quit, but he was caught doing this on several different occasions and finally hauled to jail. it was mentioned that his nudity inside his home was not a problem, but masterbating for the whole neighborhood, in particular, the lady across the street, to see, was a criminal offense.

15. HungBoyRN

HungBoyRN New Member

I remember a story from about 10 years ago about a straight couple in CA (I think) who would have sex in their living room with the blinds open. If I remember correctly, they were in fact arrested after neighbors complained. Apparently there's a requirement that people take "reasonable precaustions" against indecent exposure. I don't remember how the case turned out, but I'd rather avoid the embarrassment nonetheless.

16. nudeyorker

Gold Member

The laws vary from state to state in the US. For the most part being nude in your own home is fine, however if you are having sex or masturbating and can be seen from a public place then it's another story. If you live in a large metropolitan area and are on a high floor I would not worry too much about it. Before cable TV that is exactly why everyone in NYC had a telescope.

17. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:

Not to mention binoculars. Outside the windows of may apt. are alot of tall bldgs. Oddly enuf most of the action happens onthe lowers floors. ALL THE TIME. No one seems to have curtains and must have been raised my nudist parents. There's one girl that lays on her bed w/her feet facing the window. She masturbates ALL the time. Out another window there's this guy who looks just like Ales Despartie tho he has a yummt chest. My roommate and I call him Wally. No reason we just like the name. He fucks his gal ON the windowsill. They have acute beagle too. Heee. There are two guys a few apt's from Wally that fuck each other on the floor w/the lights on and the curtains open. I wonder sometimes what privacy means to people. Maybe it's because I'm from New England but I couldn't have sex in front of an open window w/all the lights on.

18. verycuriousblondie

verycuriousblondie New Member

I live on the 10th floor of a NYC apartment building, and I walk naked in my room all the time in front of a larg window, I do not know if anyone sees me, but in my mind, he or she would be the criminal for looking!!!!! LOL

19. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh that's YOU above Wally! Ahhhhhhh you looked familiar! :biggrin1:

20. verycuriousblondie

verycuriousblondie New Member

LOL, yea me and my beagle and my old lady

Draft saved Draft deleted