AJnCJ

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Fort Worth, Texas, United States of America
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Interesting. When I'm touring a prospective gym, I always want to check out the locker room before making a final decision for the following reasons:

1. I hate shower stalls. If they have stalls, I'm not interested in joining because they are moldy, cramped and inhibit social interaction.

2. Locker room setup dictates the mentality of the clientele the gym attracts. The more ultra-privacy offered, the more uptight the clientele in my experience. The more open, the more relaxed and friendly the clientele.

3. The cleanliness of the locker room gives you a good idea of the overall cleanliness of the whole gym. If the locker room is filthy, you can pretty much bet that the whole gym is.

4. Ammenities such as steam room, sauna, hot tub, towel service, lounge area, etc are all important to me. The gym is my down time, so I'm not a get out as fast as I can kind of guy. I enjoy using these ammenities after my workout, and often they are my motivation for going in to workout.

I hope your gym turns out OK. I just couldn't imagine joining any gym without checking out the locker room first. It would be like buying a car without taking it out for a test drive.

Well...I didn't know we were joining - my partner took the lead on this. That said, I do usually handle the buying of the vehicles and "sight unseen" just doesn't happen. Lol! We are on a mission for greater fitness and health in 2014 so I guess that the local YMCA will work! He (my partner) was impressed anyway. And the available child care is critical to our ability to use the facility.

flynn

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I took swim lessons at the Y when I was 12. Everbody was naked. In the locker room this frail old man took his clothes off and he had an enormous floppy uncut cock. One of the biggest I have ever seen.

jockmaestro

Loved Member
Media
Despite the overwhelming anecdotal evidence, I just still can't believe guys swam naked at the Y! This is mind-blowing. Good for younger guys, tho, to see older men just getting naked. Don't see that much at gyms now.

Our Y was co-ed and didn't have a pool so there were 2 good reasons why no one swam naked.
However, at Boy Scout camp (all male) no one wore swimsuits.
It was also rumored that at a small all male gym in my town, most of the members worked out nude, but I wasn't a member so have no first hand knowledge.
This was in the 1960's and 1970's.

an7701

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
The below message showed up in my e-mail today. Disappointed....wonder what happened that caused it. All the showers are enclosed by stalls, so good thing they still took the time to clarify that, lol. I guess I'll just have to stay home to be naked. *grumbles*

Dear YMCA Member,

In an effort to enhance the value of your YMCA membership, the following policy change will take place in 2014.

EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 1, 2014

Nudity Policy
For the safety, health, and consideration of all members and guests, the YMCA prohibits public nudity in all common areas of the locker room (e.g. Sauna, Steam rooms, Spas, and all Restroom/Sink/and Walkway Areas). Nudity is permitted for the purpose of changing clothes and while in the shower.

For over 20 years, I had been a member of Holiday Fitness, which became Bally Fitness, and more recently was taken over by LA Fitness. At Ballys, they had shower stalls, but most of the time there weren't curtains. At LA Fitness, they have curtains. What I've noticed is that almost nobody walks around naked in the locker room or to the shower; furthermore, many guys when getting dressed put on their underwear while their towel is still on!

I'm usually the only one who goes in the sauna naked. And just the other day, when a staff member stuck his head in the sauna to let everyone know they were closing in 10 minutes, he told me, "you probably shouldn't be naked, either"! I just smiled and said, "Oh, OK."

I don't think the health club is to blame for this uptight attitude; I think society has gotten more prudish in recent years. (Ironically, I was extremely prudish as a kid; now I'm totally the opposite -- probably because I'm proud of how good a shape I'm in for someone who's 52.) And your quote justifies my belief...because even your local YMCA is changing their policy. If anything, that new policy is even more restrictive than what our club has. After all, maybe almost no one walks around naked, but at least there's nothing posted saying that you can't be naked except in the shower or when changing!

jockmaestro

Loved Member
Media
For over 20 years, I had been a member of Holiday Fitness, which became Bally Fitness, and more recently was taken over by LA Fitness. At Ballys, they had shower stalls, but most of the time there weren't curtains. At LA Fitness, they have curtains. What I've noticed is that almost nobody walks around naked in the locker room or to the shower; furthermore, many guys when getting dressed put on their underwear while their towel is still on!

I'm usually the only one who goes in the sauna naked. And just the other day, when a staff member stuck his head in the sauna to let everyone know they were closing in 10 minutes, he told me, "you probably shouldn't be naked, either"! I just smiled and said, "Oh, OK."

I don't think the health club is to blame for this uptight attitude; I think society has gotten more prudish in recent years. (Ironically, I was extremely prudish as a kid; now I'm totally the opposite -- probably because I'm proud of how good a shape I'm in for someone who's 52.) And your quote justifies my belief...because even your local YMCA is changing their policy. If anything, that new policy is even more restrictive than what our club has. After all, maybe almost no one walks around naked, but at least there's nothing posted saying that you can't be naked except in the shower or when changing!

Pathetic, isn't it? And pathological. What's happened in the good ol' USA?

I remember the naked swimming at the Y all those years ago. And as someone said earlier, there was always the guy there with the giant cock.

Reactions: BigBen

I remember the naked swimming at the Y all those years ago. And as someone said earlier, there was always the guy there with the giant cock.

There sill is! :wink: :tongue: I see some pretty awesome cocks and asses every week at my Y. :naughty:

Trevor

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

Society has gotten more prudish and I think a lot of it has to do with the end of compulsory military service. Guys who got drafted into the military at age 18 had to get over their prudishness real quick. Pretty much everyone in my father's generation was in the military at some point unless they had some sort of medical problem that made them unfit for military service. Now only a small percentage of the male population serves.

Army Recruits at Physical Exam - QR001282 - Rights Managed - Stock Photo - Corbis

It's interesting to read how most Ys in the U.S. have gotten uptight and modest because I just don't see it at my Y in Canada. Everyone uses the locker room, hot tub, steam room and open shower nude. In fact, I steamed and showered with a hot university student today, and 2 other guys in their 30s with nice bodies (1 with an awesome cock) - total DILFs. Last week, I showered and hot tubbed in the nude with some really hot guys (young, big dicks, tight butts, nice bodies and good looking faces). The uptight guys stay out of my locker room (the premium locker room) and use the basic one just to get changed which is fine with me because they don't change the dynamic of my locker room with silly modesty antics. The few times these types have used my locker room, they end up disappearing pretty quickly when they see other guys not following their lead and giving them weird looks.

I'm wondering if this is a cultural thing rather than a Y thing. Could other guys who use the Y comment on this and specify whether it's in the U.S. or Canada (Ys ONLY please and if it's the basic locker room or premium locker room). The few other Ys I have used in Canada (years ago though) were completely open and nude friendly. In fact, my locker room underwent a remodel last year and became even more open when a row of lockers that ran down the centre of the locker room and divided it as a wall were removed, and the lockers were all moved against the wall. This allows for a more unobstructed view of the whole locker room from any angle. The only "prudish" measure that was installed was 1 shower stall with a curtain in the open shower (idiotic I know), but very rarely is it ever used. Even the young guys (like the hottie I showered with today) bypass it to use the open shower. What I love about this is that it allows for guys to interact with each other and socialize. For example, the hot university student, that I steamed and showered with today, and I were chatting away like we were old buddies. This wouldn't have happened in a more prudish environment that had shower stalls and didn't allow nudity in the steam room and hot tub. This is the reason why I joined my Y and quit my uptight private health club in the same city a few years ago. The difference in the locker room dynamic between the 2 is night and day. Obviously much better at my Y.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think ( but not sure) that the Y is also in Australia. Could Australian guys comment on the dynamic there in the locker room? I don't know if the Y exists in other countries, but if it does and you use it, could you also give us some insight? Thanks.

Billydee4

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
The Y I go to (in the USA) is pretty matter-of-fact about nudity in the men's (18+) locker room (there's an all ages locker room and an 18+ locker room and from what I've seen pretty much all the adult men use the 18+ locker room). We don't have premium and basic locker rooms. The showers are a mix of stalls and open--most guys tend to gravitate to the stalls first but leave the shower curtain open (the way the lights are the stalls actually get kind of dim if you close the curtain).

There's a sauna in the locker room--it's a definite mix. A decent number of guys wear some clothing whether it's their workout clothes or swim trunks or underwear. However, a lot of guys just wear a towel (and some guys just sit on a towel and let it all hang out). The hot tubs are in the pool area so you have to wear clothes for those.

And while there are some guys (mostly in say the 18-21 age range) who do the towel dance I'd say most guys understand you have to be naked at least briefly and just get on with it. There are some guys who do go a little overboard (does one really need to shave their face at the sink completely naked?) but most don't seem to have an issue getting naked when it's warranted.

I've been to one of the other Ys in town several towns and seen a similar vibe--in fact the shower stalls in their locker room don't have curtains.

Trevor

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
It's interesting to read how most Ys in the U.S. have gotten uptight and modest because I just don't see it at my Y in Canada. Everyone uses the locker room, hot tub, steam room and open shower nude. In fact, I steamed and showered with a hot university student today, and 2 other guys in their 30s with nice bodies (1 with an awesome cock) - total DILFs. Last week, I showered and hot tubbed in the nude with some really hot guys (young, big dicks, tight butts, nice bodies and good looking faces). The uptight guys stay out of my locker room (the premium locker room) and use the basic one just to get changed which is fine with me because they don't change the dynamic of my locker room with silly modesty antics. The few times these types have used my locker room, they end up disappearing pretty quickly when they see other guys not following their lead and giving them weird looks.

I'm wondering if this is a cultural thing rather than a Y thing. Could other guys who use the Y comment on this and specify whether it's in the U.S. or Canada (Ys ONLY please and if it's the basic locker room or premium locker room). The few other Ys I have used in Canada (years ago though) were completely open and nude friendly. In fact, my locker room underwent a remodel last year and became even more open when a row of lockers that ran down the centre of the locker room and divided it as a wall were removed, and the lockers were all moved against the wall. This allows for a more unobstructed view of the whole locker room from any angle. The only "prudish" measure that was installed was 1 shower stall with a curtain in the open shower (idiotic I know), but very rarely is it ever used. Even the young guys (like the hottie I showered with today) bypass it to use the open shower. What I love about this is that it allows for guys to interact with each other and socialize. For example, the hot university student, that I steamed and showered with today, and I were chatting away like we were old buddies. This wouldn't have happened in a more prudish environment that had shower stalls and didn't allow nudity in the steam room and hot tub. This is the reason why I joined my Y and quit my uptight private health club in the same city a few years ago. The difference in the locker room dynamic between the 2 is night and day. Obviously much better at my Y.

It is a cultural thing. I think the Ys in the US are just having to respond to the fact that the US population is becoming more uptight and modest and terrified that somebody in the locker room might be gay, and might look at their naked body. :eek:

Last edited:

cloverleaf

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In recent years I saw two Ys in the area convert from open to stalls. But the naked vibe is the same in both those places as it was before. One of those Ys is huge, and the locker room is filled with naked dudes older and younger changing, weighing in, walking to and from showers where many guys don't bother pulling curtain closed. The Y of my childhood which is the gym I go to most (nearest where I live) has a six head open shower, no steam, etc. Seems 30 percent of guys shower, all naked and relaxed. Nearly nobody wears a towel to and from locker. About 95 percent of swimmers shower, and about 1 in 5 fitness center guys. About 2 of 5 rec basketball and fitness class guys. After years of getting more prudish, things are getting slightly better now. Fewer hiders, faster training curve for new guys. Not as many showerers now as say 1990, but I think it's better than five years ago.

jockmaestro

Loved Member
Media
And while there are some guys (mostly in say the 18-21 age range) who do the towel dance I'd say most guys understand you have to be naked at least briefly and just get on with it. There are some guys who do go a little overboard (does one really need to shave their face at the sink completely naked?) but most don't seem to have an issue getting naked when it's warranted.

I've been to one of the other Ys in town several towns and seen a similar vibe--in fact the shower stalls in their locker room don't have curtains.[/QUOTE]

yes! I always shave at the gym naked. It's good for the guys to see.

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I still can't imagine the guys who do NOT shower after a long work out and get in the car hot and sweaty and go home (I assume) to shower....baffling