nudity during physical exam

wayward93angel

Loved Member
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Friday was time for my six month skin check. As usual it's a full body based on history and my outdoor nudity preference. It was a new nurse and when she was explaining that I should undress completely she asked if I needed a gown, I said no I didn't usually use one. So the doc did his exam, the nurse took notes and I got to be bare ass. Hurt like a son of a bitch chilly when he had to burn something on my lip.

Tony56

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Once went to a pediatrician and had an exam done. I had just turned 18. When the male doctor told me to basically drop my shorts and underwear, he looked at it and was like, "oh, wow. Okay." I wasn't sure then if it was because of my dick size, or just that he was used to seeing people younger than me. But it happened also with a female "grown up" doctor who said something about it. I've never really thought that I was that big, just maybe I'm bigger than most when flaccid.

Were you going to him for the first time at age 18?

RamblingCock

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I went in for my bi-weekly T shot in the ass. One of two regular nurses, both of whom have seen me butt naked a number of times for shots and examinations. We've all become pretty good acquaintances since I'm down there every couple of weeks. Today;'s nurse was the one who prepped me for my last scoping. Since both nurses have seen me in all my glory on a number of occasions I just drop the pants and shorts and let 'em jab me. It sounds a bit bizarre standing there having a casual conversation while naked from the waist down, but none of us seem to be bugged by it. They're professional and I think it's kinda silly to do the pants and shirt twisting modesty dance when just dropping the drawers is much easier..

Reactions: Sweetcheeksmosd

Hairylegs

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Rambling, for better or worse, welcome to the REAL world of medicine! That's how it is. Funny, I can talk to patients fully clothed or stark nude, makes no difference, there is absolutely nothing even remotely sexual about it. What make me very, very uncomfortable is a man or a women getting undressed in my presence. I always turn my back, it's something I don't want to witness. And good luck with the harpooning. Hope it's helping.

Sherwood D. Likelym

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I can attest to this, not because I was in the military, but because I had two doctors who were ex-military doctors. The first was my pediatrician when we moved to a new town. He was a former Army doctor, and I was totally nude for physicals, with my mother in the exam room the whole time! Much later in life I went to my dad's doctor, who was an ex-air force doctor from the Viet Nam era. Again, exam was done full nude. Neither one bothered me.

I recall standing completely nude with 50-75 other guys in my high school cafeteria for our annual athletic team participation physicals.
Likewise, group naked physicals during my military induction in 1969. Nowadays, my Dr. requests that I undress completely, leaving my underwear on until he inspects for hernias and lumps on my balls before he probes my prostate.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I recall standing completely nude with 50-75 other guys in my high school cafeteria for our annual athletic team participation physicals.
Likewise, group naked physicals during my military induction in 1969. Nowadays, my Dr. requests that I undress completely, leaving my underwear on until he inspects for hernias and lumps on my balls before he probes my prostate.

Which is exactly what my doctor does. I saw him earlier this week for my annual physical, I was in my underwear most of the time, my boxers down only for the checks you mention.

RamblingCock

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Rambling, for better or worse, welcome to the REAL world of medicine! That's how it is. Funny, I can talk to patients fully clothed or stark nude, makes no difference, there is absolutely nothing even remotely sexual about it. What make me very, very uncomfortable is a man or a women getting undressed in my presence. I always turn my back, it's something I don't want to witness. And good luck with the harpooning. Hope it's helping.

It is, most definitely.

It's a shame our puritanical culture (here in the states, and it's spreading elsewhere) cannot disconnect nudity from sex. I have a mild medical fetish, but I understand it's a sexual thing. When I'm naked with my doctors I know nothing's going to happen so it's anything but erotic. And since my groin has been the repeated subject for many visits to the doctor it's an iron wall between fetish and medical practice, mentally. Don't think I could get hard even if I tried.

But the undressing thing is fascinating. I recall being watched as I undressed for a massage once and it really made me uncomfortable. I really haven't thought about it in front of doctors/nurses, and I strip completely nude for sessions in front of my physical therapist (he's working on some of those very same groin issues, which involve rather intimate massage for surgical scarring. Groin, not genitals.). But I'd imagine part of your response is simply common courtesy...that you probably are subconsciously trying to respect their privacy (as much as there is). Witnessing someone undressing is an intimate act in some ways, versus the direct practitioner/patient relationship.

Reactions: GonzorSG

Hairylegs

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Bingo. It's a matter of respect. When it comes to physical examination, I would prefer the person to be stark naked on the table. Makes my job easier and a lot faster. But I know that is going to make the person feel like crap, and humiliating a human being is definitely not part of the job description. I've spoken to gynecologists about the undressing shtick. They all agree with me - they don't want to be anywhere near the room when a woman is getting undressed. But afterwards, no issues. Think of it this way - there is absolutely nothing sexy, erotic, or a turn on about a pregnant woman on her back, legs spread wide open, vulva gaping at the world, amniotic fluid spraying every where, and a baby dropping down the chute. You've got a job to do, cleanly, efficiently, and safely. It's what years of training is all about.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It seems to me that rather than assuming being naked will make a person feel like crap, providers could ask or offer options. Personally, having lived in dorms, gone to gyms, and engaged in social nudity situations, I am comfortable naked. Rather than worrying about being naked, I worry about giving offense (How low do I drop my drawers when getting a shot? How do I tell a very attractive female dermatologist that I am uncomfortable with not getting a full body check each year? Why is it that my Adventist PCP will not a physical on me even when I schedule the visit as such?).

Reactions: doc465

Tony56

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
It seems to me that rather than assuming being naked will make a person feel like crap, providers could ask or offer options. Personally, having lived in dorms, gone to gyms, and engaged in social nudity situations, I am comfortable naked.

That is exactly how I feel. If you are going to be touching my penis, rolling my testicles around, and sliding your finger up into my rectum, being naked is the least of my concerns. I might as well start naked if that is the way I am going to end. I am actually more uncomfortable getting to the naked parts, if I am clothed before that. It is as if to say, "we know that it is bad for you to be naked so we are going to do that for the least amount of time"

What really makes me uncomfortable is wearing those stupid paper gowns, which are, well, uncomfortable. Is it really a big deal for a man to be in his underpants instead? Don't most men show up at swimming pools in something resembling their underpants?

I agree with Dave, present options, don't assume that we all are embarrassed being nude. You could say, for instance, "Remove all of your clothing including your underwear. There is a gown over there on the chair if that makes you more comfortable". This silliness about keeping every inch of skin covered up makes me wonder if the doctors today are uncomfortable with nudity, not the patients.

Max_Polo

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
he checked every square inch...there was an assistant in the room...

As it should be. Neither clothing, modesty nor embarrassment have a place in the exam room if they inhibit a thorough evaluation. A "chaperone" or assistant being present is a safeguard for both patient and physician.

Reactions: RamblingCock

Max_Polo

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This silliness about keeping every inch of skin covered up makes me wonder if the doctors today are uncomfortable with nudity, not the patients.

I really don't think it has anything to do with physician discomfort about nudity - we've seen it all, many times...

When I see a patient, I'm most concerned about being thorough...with patient comfort being a fairly close second.

But, I've a long waiting list. I wonder if patient satisfaction scores and other ancillary concerns affect some physicians in unintended ways (such that they change what they do to match what they think a patient prefers, rather than what science directs as best care).

MiddleCountryMo

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
At my university, I used to go to the sauna in the gym a lot. There was always this guy in there, early 40's, completely nude doing stretches. Sometimes I saw him staring out of the corner of his eye at me, so sometimes I would rub my cock a bit for him, it was harmless. I was 18 and had never been tested for STDs, so I made an appointment with the school doctor. The nurse had me wait in the room, fully clothed, for the doctor. When the doctor came in, I was pretty stunned to realize it was the guy from the sauna. He had me get completely undressed and lay back on the table. He started to feel around on my stomach for a bit and I got instantly hard. He told me to relax, I tried. He then told me to stand . up and I kid you not he got face level with my cock, just inches away from it and started lifting it, and watching get harder. At one point he even let out this tiny moan like noise kind of like "ahhh" It lasted about 3 minutes of him just kind of handling my hardon and balls. It was very awkward but extremely hot.

Hairylegs

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I'm sure it was only 30 seconds, it just seemed like 3 minutes to you. Rest assured, he did recognize you, and the episode was probably VERY awkward for him, whether or not you turned him on sexually in the neutral location. Just sayin'.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am interested in the physicians' opinions. At what age does a physical exam become passe. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that my PCP has stopped doing them on me. The last time I saw him, I asked him about it and that was his response. Granted, I will turn sixty-eight in a few weeks. But I am still working two jobs, walk four miles a day, squat weights equal to my body weight at the gym, and the average lifespan in my family is ninety. I kind of feel like he has consigned me to having one foot in the grave and not really worth bothering with. He's been my doctor for sixteen years and I guess I could tell him this. I just don't want to piss him off because I need him.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I am interested in the physicians' opinions. At what age does a physical exam become passe. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that my PCP has stopped doing them on me. The last time I saw him, I asked him about it and that was his response. Granted, I will turn sixty-eight in a few weeks. But I am still working two jobs, walk four miles a day, squat weights equal to my body weight at the gym, and the average lifespan in my family is ninety. I kind of feel like he has consigned me to having one foot in the grave and not really worth bothering with. He's been my doctor for sixteen years and I guess I could tell him this. I just don't want to piss him off because I need him.

When I see a doctor or other medical personnel, I ride my bicycle to the appointment if at all possible. I also wear a skin-tight compression shirt. Those two actions make it unlikely that my advanced age will cause me to be type-cast as feeble, helpless, and incompetent. Otherwise, a look at my age in the records (I will be 80 on 1 April) may lead medical personnel to assume that I have one foot in the grave.

I also do not know how to deal with the nudity issue. In earlier times it would have been less likely to be an issue. Until about 1980, in many parts of the U.S., in physical education classes boys swam nude. Men swan nude at YMCAs. All this can easily be verified via a few google searches. But now that attitudes towards nudity have changed, even among men, some situations have become more awkward. I suspect that it often results in less thorough physical examinations thereby causing some conditions to go undetected.

AdamFin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I really don't think it has anything to do with physician discomfort about nudity - we've seen it all, many times...

When I see a patient, I'm most concerned about being thorough...with patient comfort being a fairly close second.

But, I've a long waiting list. I wonder if patient satisfaction scores and other ancillary concerns affect some physicians in unintended ways (such that they change what they do to match what they think a patient prefers, rather than what science directs as best care).

The doctors are taught patients prefer hyper modesty. Probably right for many. I am in the group that would feel less awkward (a) not in the ridiculous gown thing abd (b) not taking stuff off as we go along. Sitting on the exam table naked from the beginning would be way more comfortable than making a big deal out of the progression of the process. With the gown the doc is reaching under the drape and adjusting it to do his thing. That feels like he is undressing you or messing with your clothes; it is emasculating or babying somehow. Hard to express.

That said I assume far more people, dudes included, probably prefer the new modesty sensitivity.