nudity during physical exam

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I am a Registered Nurse. There is absolutely NO reason for a patient to be entirely nude during a physical exam. The Standard of Care states that the patient should remove all their clothing and then PUT ON a standard hospital gown with the opening in the back. Only the portion of the body being examined needs to be exposed.

What if it is the skin that is being examined?

I've had several basil cell carcinomas removed. The skin covers the entire body. It would be impossible to examine the skin unless the patient is nude.

A hospital gown is not exactly modest; it leaves much of the derriere exposed. In any case, from the totally objective standpoint, it seems silly to be so squeamish about the human body. But, considering that many people are uncomfortable nude, courtesy requires that patients be given the option of covering enough area so that they will fell comfortable. That is especially important when the exam room is cold.

Reactions: GonzorSG

thetramp

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
i remember the only exam i had where i was totally naked. The one to find out whether a young man is qualified for military service, it is a mandatory exam here.
They check the genitals too, i think for testicle cancer.
I do not recall ever been that small as when that old doctor told me to cough and was feeling around there.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
What if it is the skin that is being examined?

I've had several basil cell carcinomas removed. The skin covers the entire body. It would be impossible to examine the skin unless the patient is nude.

A hospital gown is not exactly modest; it leaves much of the derriere exposed. In any case, from the totally objective standpoint, it seems silly to be so squeamish about the human body. But, considering that many people are uncomfortable nude, courtesy requires that patients be given the option of covering enough area so that they will fell comfortable. That is especially important when the exam room is cold.
It is not impossible to examine the ENTIRE body and all of its skin surface while wearing a hospital gown. Only the part being examined need be exposed while the rest of the body remains draped. That is the professional way to do a physical examination.

Reactions: NiceMan1970

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It is not impossible to examine the ENTIRE body and all of its skin surface while wearing a hospital gown. Only the part being examined need be exposed while the rest of the body remains draped. That is the professional way to do a physical examination.

So for a skin examination the gown has to be continually adjusted so that only a few square centimeters are exposed at any one time. That seems a bit cumbersome, awkward, and time-consuming. Obviously this is an exaggeration, but it does make a point.

For a skin examination, a reasonable approach would be to leave one's undershorts on and wear the gown. Then, when the doctor arrives, completely remove the gown. Last, after everything else has been examined, remove the shorts. At that point, the patient would be totally nude, but not for long.

Incidentally, I shaved my head for my most recent skin examination.

Lukeeh

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Yeah every time I o to the doctor I have to take my boxers off
and he Checks my balls. It's always been like this

colday

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
been having physicials since I was 40, am not 50 and I have always kept my clothes on and then at some point they tell me to drop my pants and shorts to check out the equipment and then turn around, you will feel some pressure and pop goes in the finger for the prostate exam

D

deleted3782

I had a physical a few months ago. The nurse asked me to strip down to my underwear (boxers) to start and left, then the doc did above the belt things like the stethoscope test (breathe in breathe out), checked the glands in my neck (or whatever they are), checked reflexes, etc. Then he asked me to stand and drop the boxers. He checked for hernias, and I have a hydrocele in my balls that's like a third nut and he wanted to check that out. He also checked for STDs so I got the swab up the slit of my dick which was horrific...AND THEN I get to bend over to get my prostate checked. He was describing what he was doing the whole time and what his observations were (my prostate is a perfectly healthy) which I find helpful but also a welcome distraction from poked and proded. I had no awkward boners, no embarrassing baby-dick shrinkage, no sensation of orgasm as my prostate was poked. I don't have a great deal of modesty so none of this titillated any exhibitionist leanings I have.

All that said, it was reassuring to know I'm healthy and everything is sound and functioning well...and I would do it all again tomorrow if needed with no reservation.

Ok, all that said, it was odd having a guy (doc) inspecting my dick and gently manipulated my balls as he checked behind them. The last urologist before this one asked me to hold my dick up and out of the way as he shined a flashlight up through my balls in a darkened room to show me the hydrocele was filled with clear fluid. I wasn't uncomfortable, but I wasn't un-nerved or aroused either, but it was the most action I've seen in years. :cool:

Media
In a primary care setting, you are correct, at some point in younger men, a head to toe physical should be done. But afterward, with no family history, and no complaints, I wouldn't do it in every visit, just surveillance every few years. In men over 45-50, the prostate should be examined regularly, even without urinary symptoms or family history, and with a normal PSA, and as they get older, more frequent hernia checks.

But the key to doing the exam properly is either in a gown, or parts at a time. I would never ask a patient to get completely naked. I would have them take their shirts off, then finish the chest and abdominal exams, then put their shirt back on, and then lower their pants and shorts. A physician should never leave an area he/she isn't examining uncovered.

unzipped

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
we have to have a yearly exam.. we have to disroble entirely... doctor sits on stool face to my crotch and does testicular exam ... then have to turn around and get the finger up the ass... just a yearly routine..

MisterVIP

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Holy crap.

thread-necromancy-jpg.1299

Carlo Ponti

Experimental Member
Media
Way back when in the dark ages - Military physicals were given with all the candidates in the nude for about six hours. We stood around in the exam station waiting to be checked over from head to toes.

This was in the 60s.

No problems.

Totally nude military physicals for induction to draftees is a well known fact....I can't say I remember it being six hours long, but long enough!

The asshole exam was non- invasive but most embarrassing. Examinations of the genital area included palpation to each and every examined.

Reactions: GonzorSG and Bondi

AZL

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Never had a physical where I was totally nude, usually just in underwear. Now in play physicals that is a different story. I do think it would be fun to have a real physical in the nude.

ellipses

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I've had two private health medicals as a work perk in my life. Each time it is a full body assessment to check you out for everything. Both times the whole medical was conducted in my boxer shorts. Then lying on the doctors bed/table, they say they're going to examine my penis and testicle now and ask if that's ok. They then pull my boxers down. Both time in the examination I've had them retract my foreskin and feel each testicle. Once I was asked to look to be sure I know how to check my testicle myself. Thankfully I've avoided being aroused!

Reactions: GonzorSG and Bondi