nudity during physical

neintynein

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
\

When I had a knee problem, I saw a doctor while wearing my motorcycle safety gear. It was impossible to expose my knee while wearing my motorcycle pants and the doctor expressed concern with what I was wearing underneath. I changed doctors because I figured that if he was that uneasy with seeing bodies, he might be unable to do an adequate examination.

A male doctor did this? seriously? you did the right thing. (Unless of course you were wearing something... unexpected... under the pants? in which case you should simply have removed that too.)

Assuming this was an orthopedist or something similar, I wonder what he does when dealing with a hip replacement?,

neintynein

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Funny you bring that up, because most doctors miss skin cancer on the penis and the guy ends up dying from it. Something starts to grow and the guy is too embarrassed to bring it up.

Similarly, when I was 20 I had a doctor perform a physical on me and he never examined my testicles. When I brought that up, he said he wasn't sure if I'd feel comfortable doing that!!! Not only is that the right age for testicular cancer, but my father had testicular cancer too. It's pathetic.

a) you remind me that I haven't seen a dermatologist in years, I should do that.

b) SERIOUSLY? Fire him.

neintynein

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Nude physical exams seem to be the norm for me. When I entered Middle School at age 12, we were required to have a physical. All the students in my P.E. class opted for the school exam, since that was freee.

We changed into our P.E. shorts, no shirs and no shoes. We went upstairs to the main gym. The medical staff had all the scales and equipment set-up for the doctors. We were assigned a line according to our last name. When we reached a
certain spot, we were told to remove our shorts and underwear. From this point on we were all naked.

First we were weighed, our height checked. Next a doctor checked our heart, lungs,
ears, eyes. With our arms up, had our whole body checked, top to bottom.

Another doctor had us bend over, to check our anus. Turned us around and did the
hernia check.

Just curious, was this in the US?

neintynein

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Have you ever had a physical where you were naked during the entire exam?

My last physical the nurse told me to remove all my clothing and put the gown on. I said everything. She said everything! So when my new doctor came in he had me take the gown off right away and I was completely nude during the whole physical. I thought is was a little odd but I didn't think it was done to be perverted. He was an older doctor. Maybe that how it was done back in the day. has anyone else experinced this?

If memory serves, in my late 20s/early 30s I had a doctor (female) where we did it this way a couple of times. It was no big deal, though the exam room was a bit chilly :( I preferred it, on the whole, vs. wrestling with gowns etc..

I should ask my current doc about this. She does a pretty thorough physical (and thankfully isn't bashful about ordering tests-- just had an "early" procedure I wasn't due for for about three years, that caught a life-threatening silent problem). However, she doesn't always do the prostate check (I don't think she enjoys it any more than I do), and if there isn't a specific reason (sometimes there is) we generally don't do an exam of the genitalia...

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
A male doctor did this? seriously? you did the right thing. (Unless of course you were wearing something... unexpected... under the pants? in which case you should simply have removed that too.)

Assuming this was an orthopedist or something similar, I wonder what he does when dealing with a hip replacement?,

Yes, I am entirely serious. I was very startled.

Actually, he was a family practitioner, formerly known as a GP. I figured that if sometime it was necessary to examine a more intimate part of my body that he would be unable to do it.

I doubt that that would have occurred 30 years ago.

In 1957, when I was becoming a student at the University of Minnesota, all students received a thorough physical examination. The male students were given paper shoes to wear; the female students were given paper robes. Of course we were segregated by gender. Dozens of us were queued up and were examined by a number of doctors, each of which examined a specific part of our bodies.

I heard that the armed services had a similar procedure for new inductees.

It would be interesting to learn what has caused the changed attitudes towards male nudity. In earlier times, a boy or man who felt uncomfortable being nude among other males would have been considered to be in need of counseling.

johnny42544

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I would change doctors. I EXPECT a thorough examination, especially when seeing a physician for the first time. There are guidelines for how often a prostate exam should be done, and I expect that to be done as per the guidelines. Your doctor is not doing you any favors by not doing a thorough exam, and I would ask why he is shirking his responsibility.

I always wear a robe, underwear and sox (my feet get cold). He hasnt found my PA yet.

jdoe86

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I did once, but that was at a dermatologist and she was checking me for melanoma (I had a mole on my back that was oddly shaped and I felt it was better safe than sorry since I do spend a lot of time outside nude). Other than that, I've been told to strip to my underwear and socks.

I always have to keep my shirt off, and then half way through the exam drop my pants and underwear to the floor, so the doctor can feel my nuts for lumps and then bend me over the examining table for a rectal exam (finger up the ass) to check my prostate.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
I just started seeing a new doctor last year for a physical. He just had me strip down to my underwear, no gown. He later asked me to briefly drop my underwear so he could examine my genitals.
Where I live that is the norm and has been all my adult life. If there is a gown it is to wear waiting for the physical. Kinda hard to do much of a physical with the vast majority of the body covered. The best doctors still use observation as their first and best diagnostic tool! (My opinion of course!)

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Saw my doctor today. He's been mentioning a physical for 3 years now but I still haven't had one. (Fine with me.) He still has not seen me in anything less than I'd wear to church.

I commented here 4.5 years ago, but I had a different doctor then in another city, and she had seen me nude on more than one occasion.

Saw my doctor today. He's been mentioning a physical for 3 years now but I still haven't had one. (Fine with me.) He still has not seen me in anything less than I'd wear to church.

I commented here 4.5 years ago, but I had a different doctor then in another city, and she had seen me nude on more than one occasion.

That's dangerous. Early detection of testicular or prostate cancer is crucial to surviving the disease. Get checked. What would you rather have, an awkward encounter with your doctor for 1 minute per year while he feels your nuts and checks your prostate, or cancer and chemotherapy? I'll take the former any day!

jay-c

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
For me it's been gowned but completely naked underneath. No socks, no undies. My doc strategically lifts the gown for the genital check (me standing, her sitting). Also had my first prostate check this year. She had me lie on my side with one knee raised. Hurt quite a bit to have a finger in there!

xenon-naturist

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I had some issues with my dick and always had to discuss them with the doc before him having a quick look and then more discussion - I was always told that it was enough just to pull down trousers when getting on the exam table, but I found it easier just to take them off. With trousers round my ankles - which could make me trip up - I feel far more vulnerable than with nothing at all.

Eventually I was referred to a consultant dermtologist, the junior doctor saw me first and then said that she would go to get the consultant and in the meantime would I please strip entirely naked, including no watch and no socks. This was the one time I had seen a female junior so I did feel a bit uncomfortable throughout that session but thereafter whenever I went back (which was quite a few times) whenever the doc asked me to get on the table, i would just strip naked. Having done it once it was easier the next time and in addition it felt better getting naked by choice rather than by instruction.

Last edited:

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I am a registered nurse and there is absolutely no reason to be naked during a physical. You should take everything off, including underwear, and be given a hospital gown to wear during the physical. The doctor can then expose the areas they need to see as the need arises.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I am a registered nurse and there is absolutely no reason to be naked during a physical. You should take everything off, including underwear, and be given a hospital gown to wear during the physical. The doctor can then expose the areas they need to see as the need arises.

That sounds rather awkward, i.e., the need to play peek a boo with various parts of the body during a physical.

Because I've had basil cell carcinomas, I have periodic skin examinations. I suppose that they could be done using a large sheet with a hole in it. The sheet could be moved around to expose one square inch at a time, but that wouldn't seem to be very efficient.

xenon-naturist

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The sheet could be moved around to expose one square inch at a time, but that wouldn't seem to be very efficient.

To be fair to industrial size, there i a difference between a regular physical and a dermatological exam where the skin is the primary focus of attention.

Even as someone who is very comfortable naked, there were times at the doctor when i was not - once i as told i needed a skin ample from my cock - i was taken to a minor surgery room, told to leave my clothes in a changing cubicle and lie on the table - when the sample is being taken from your cock, there is no question but to be naked. there were a couple of people wandering around - including a photographer - and I felt very uncomfortable so i asked for a gown. this took some finding but i got one in the end. clearly i had to pose my dick for the photographer - and she was very good at puting me at ease - but i felf more relaxed with some covering. when the doctors came in - both of whom i had seen before, including just before, I was fine in stripping off the gown and being fully naked - so i can see that while full nudity can be required, it is not always essential.

Tony56

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
In my life two of my doctors have been former military doctors. Neither had any concern for modesty.
In both cases almost the entire exam was done nude.
One of those doctors was my pediatrician who had my mom or dad sit in.