numbness?

drumstyck

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i realize this is probably a very unique problem that most people wont have to face

i'm a drummer (if you couldnt tell by the name & avatar)...and occasionally i'll be at rehearsal, or playing a gig, and somehow my entire crotch goes numb...

i've figured most of it out, it has to do with the throne (we call our seat a 'throne' (drummers are cocky :cool: ))...it seems that however im sitting on it, its just cutting off a blood vessel & stopping the flow to that area of my body...the problem is that i havent been able to figure out just what i'm doing...i've tried to sit closer to the edge of the seat, tried to sit further back, tried right in the middle...and nothing seems to work...and there's no pain, no feeling of pins-and-needles like when your arm or leg fall asleep...its just a very bizarre situation when my hand goes to adjust and there's no sensation...its actually frightening, in a primal psychological sense...at least my brain is able to register the feeling on my hand to reassure me that everything is still there :)

so, any other drummers out there have suggestions? i generally just use a simple round throne, i never feel comfortable on the contoured ones...

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well I have had my balls fall asleep on me before when sitting a certain way. I have to get up and walk around for a minute to get it to go away but you might not be able to do that if you are playing a gig.

drumstyck

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
yeah ganj, it'd be sorta weird to stand up after a song & just say "hold on, i cant feel my balls" :)

and thanx cres, i hadnt really thought of the angle of my legs...i know sometimes i sit higher or lower than others, i'll hafta add those variables into my research

hairyguy29

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I've been noticing the same thing sitting in my office chair coding for extended periods of time. It was starting to really really weird me out cause the numbness would diminish but not really go away cause it was never long b4 I was stuck in my chair again. It did turn out to be the angle of my legs for me, now I try to be extra aware of how I'm sitting throughout the day, and take frequent breaks to get up and stretch out.

Hairyguy