Nutritional food ideas

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Ellerby Eatsprick, Jan 10, 2010.

1. D_Ellerby Eatsprick

D_Ellerby Eatsprick New Member

For the two years, I have eaten healthy but could have eaten even better. About a month ago, I started eating even more healthier. I decided that some sacrifices need to be made in order to have gains (as I'm trying to lose weight). I stopped eating McDonalds about 5 years ago. Once in a blue moon, I eat fast food but that's like once every 3-6 months... I eat out maybe 1-2 times a month. I don't buy pop or sugary drinks. I stopped buying junk food, except for the once - twice a month occasional treat (PMS cravings)

I have stuck to 5-6 meals a day. I allow myself one cheat meal once a week (ie. pizza or Chinese). My diet usually consists of oatmeal in the morning. Then about 10 am, I stop to eat apple sauce and an orange or banana. For lunch, I usually eat a whole wheat wrap with chicken or turkey cold cut with some mustard (no mayo, or other sauce) along with an apple and granola bar. For mid afternoon snack, I usually eat yogurt along with some granola mixed. For dinner, it usually consists of salad, sometimes with some chicken of some kind or just chicken with broccoli.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had other food ideas, just to keep eating interesting (but healthy) and to change it up... I don't think I'm eating enough, as well as not getting enough protein.

2. rob_

rob_ Active Member

Albums:
    Vegetarian/vegan chili could add lots of protein to your diet. And it's pretty much only tomatoes, peppers and beans, so you don't have to feel guilty eating it.

With your dinner, have some sort of grain. That will add extra protein and fibre. Quinoa and wild rice are really good.

3. Svidrigailov

Svidrigailov Member

Swap out the apple sauce for some green beans. Celery with peanut butter is a good snack. What makes you think you aren't eating enough?

4. buzzrider7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Careful to avoid foods that are high in sugars, like your apple sauce, granola bars and yogurt (unless you get plain yogurt with nothing added), as well as instant oatmeal in packets. (There are several brands of 5-min. oatmeal that don't have added sugar in case you're not already using one.) I'd go with other types of fresh fruit, bulk mixed nuts, mini-carrots, and lowfat cottage cheese (very high in protein) as snacks. The celery and pb idea is also great. PB is great on apples, too. Otherwise, your diet sounds pretty good. As long as you are getting a lot of cardio exercise to go with it, you should be good to go!

5. Principessa

Gold Member

Trail Mix

Mix in a ziploc bag:
    almond slivers
    chopped pecans
    salted, shelled sunflower seeds
    Dried cranberrys
    Toll House peanut butter & milk chocolate chips

I know y'all are thinking the last ingredient is unnecessary. You only need maybe 3 TBSP and it offsets the tartness of the cranberrys and the salt from the sunflower seeds.

6. D_Ellerby Eatsprick

I feel like I'm not eating enough because I just look at what I eat and compare it to the Canada Food Guidelines - says we should be eating 5-8 fruits and veggies a day, 2-3 meat, and whatever for bread and I eat less than that.

It might just be my mentality trying to switch from eating until I'm full to eating to controlled portions every 2-3 hours...

7. D_Ellerby Eatsprick

I'm good with exercise as I go 4-5 times a week plus I have an physically active job. :)

Don't sugar free yogurt count?

8. D_Ellerby Eatsprick

Last ingredient can be a good thing to have - help to offset future binges. Plus you get a bit of a treat (provided you don't go digging for the best stuff :wink:

9. nudeyorker

Gold Member

For the most part I follow the Mediterranean Diet,

High consumption of virgin olive oil.
    High intake of vegetables and fruits.
    Use of non refined carbohydrates (portions to be adjusted to physical activity). I love fresh bread.
    Consumption of fish, specially oily (or “bluish” one) three o for times a week
    Consumption of milk and derivates, cheese and yogurt (the original cheese was fresh goat cheese). Keep an eye on the saturated fats of the dairy products. Not too much!
    Three or four eggs per week.
    Moderate consumption of meat and saturated fats.
    One or two small glasses of wine a day, preferably red and at the main meals. White wine and beer are alternatives.
    Nuts, dates and figs as snacks.
    Following this is really easy for me and gives enough choices that I don't get bored. Sometimes especially during the holidays and at special restaurants I throw caution to the wind. I have never bought foods with chemical preservatives or additives.

10. bigdik09

bigdik09 New Member

Albums:
    If you need more protein start eating hemp harts they are the seed with the shell removed. Hemp seeds are the healthiest food there is & is a complete protein. It also has the highest ratio of all three essential fatty acids of any plant source. There are tons of good recipes you can find for cooking with hemp seeds. Or just add them to your favorite recipes they taste good with all kinds of different foods

Draft saved Draft deleted