Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
My wife switched to the NuvaRing, which is a small birth control ring placed in the vagina. The patch is a pain in the neck, and she does not react well to the pill, so she's trying this out. Most guys are not supposed to notice that it's there, but I'm not most guys. It scrapes me up like crazy, so we end up just taking it out every time. Does anyone else here have experience with sex involving the Ring? Good? Bad? Do you get used to it?

BillyPilgrimOD

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
From the horror stories I have heard in my own family... I will only ever use the pill... the shot is apparently much worse then all of them though.

My wife can't use the pill as she is severely lactose intolerant, and they use a lot of lactose in the pill. Also, we're both such scatterbrains that she'd forget to take it for a day, then it's condoms for the rest of the month.

Wingwalker

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
My wife and I have gone through a few different methods from the patch (somewhat convenient but apparently toxic) to depo provera shots (extremely convenient but turned her into a rabid harpy.)

NuvaRing was one of the odder ones. We could both feel it inside her; me during sex and she *all the time*. It didn't bother me too much since the only time I was on its turf was when things were really slick. It just slid out of my way.

But she couldn't get used to the sensation of something floating around inside her and switched to the patch shortly after. Currently we're back to the pill.

BillyPilgrimOD

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
NuvaRing was one of the odder ones. We could both feel it inside her; me during sex and she *all the time*. It didn't bother me too much since the only time I was on its turf was when things were really slick. It just slid out of my way.

It actually made me sore the next day. We have to take it out for sex. I'm also not really sure if I want my penis in contact with a hormone-releasing agent, even if for a few minutes.

One odd thing, since she went on it, I've been an absolute sex beast. Like, constantly horny and doing it all the time, and quickly regenerating. Wife wants to know what I'm eating so I can eat more of it :smile:. I'm finding myself wanting to try new things, like deep kissing her after she's swallowed.

Maybe it's just one of my sexual "up" periods, but maybe the Ring is changing something in her pheremones, which is having an effect on my drive. Who knows?

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What about an IUD? There are two types--hormonal and copper. The hormonal one can reduce heavy periods and cramping. It works very much like the Nuva ring but sits in the uterus instead of the vagina. The copper IUD is hormone-free but can increase period cramping and flow.

Also, have you asked your wife's doctor if it's okay to take the ring out for intercourse? I looked on the website and it seemed to say that you keep it in all the time for the full 3 weeks.

The nice thing about IUDs is that you don't have to bother with them-- they will stay in for years.

honeydew

Experimental Member
Media
I have the hormone IUD. It has progesterone and has taken care of my heavy periods nicely. It stays in for five years. I can say this, when they suggest putting it in during your menstrual cycle, listen to them! I had it done during ovulation and I thought I had an elephant implanted in me. The cervix is softer and more plyable during your cycle and makes it easier. So far six weeks out no problems. You do spot for up to 3 months on it and then level out to very light or non existing periods. I am in a new relationship and have not gone as far as vaginal intercours but there is two strings that protrude from the cervix for when they remove it in the future. They are very short and studies report no problem. If I found out different I'll post and let you all know. Hope this helps.

BillyPilgrimOD

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Also, have you asked your wife's doctor if it's okay to take the ring out for intercourse? I looked on the website and it seemed to say that you keep it in all the time for the full 3 weeks.

You can take it out for 3 hours at a time, according to the product literature.

The nice thing about IUDs is that you don't have to bother with them-- they will stay in for years.

My wife says IUDs have strings involved, and that's annoying. Also IUDs, including the hormonal ones prevent implantation if conception does occur. And that makes us both morally uneasy.

BillyPilgrimOD

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
But if he hasn't had kids, and wants them, that could be a problem.

No kids yet, but my wife's about to pursue a PhD. Ideally we want to wait until after she's done before starting. If we do have them, we'll be able to deal with it, but ideally we'd like to put it off.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You can take it out for 3 hours at a time, according to the product literature.

That's good to know. You know, if it works for you to do so, it may be your best option. Birth control is a pain and there are downsides to every method.

My wife says IUDs have strings involved, and that's annoying. Also IUDs, including the hormonal ones prevent implantation if conception does occur. And that makes us both morally uneasy.

The strings are trimmed very short, and if they get annoying, you can have them shortened. As far as your moral concerns-- that's really not my business but you canc onceive with the nuva-ring and other hormonal forms of birth control and the hormones will arrest the pregnancy.

Since you do have moral concerns, which I respect, have you considered Natural Family Planning? It can be very effective if you stick to it religiously and use all the methods (calendar, mucus, basal body temp). It takes a lot of patience, restraint, and attention to detail, but it can be very effective, especially if having a child would not be an absolute disaster. As it was explained to me, it's best if you want to space your children out, not if you absolutely don't want them.

Good luck, and I hope you find a solution.

BillyPilgrimOD

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
The strings are trimmed very short, and if they get annoying, you can have them shortened. As far as your moral concerns-- that's really not my business but you canc onceive with the nuva-ring and other hormonal forms of birth control and the hormones will arrest the pregnancy.

I realize this is a possibility, and it's something we've discussed, but I think it's something we can live with. Maybe even with hormonal IUD as well. The physical IUD, you're just constantly having conceptions and blocking implantation, and that's where it gets troubling for us.

Since you do have moral concerns, which I respect, have you considered Natural Family Planning? It can be very effective if you stick to it religiously and use all the methods (calendar, mucus, basal body temp). It takes a lot of patience, restraint, and attention to detail, but it can be very effective, especially if having a child would not be an absolute disaster. As it was explained to me, it's best if you want to space your children out, not if you absolutely don't want them.

Thank you for respecting our concerns. I appreciate that. We talked about NFP, but it seems like a real hassle, AND the times when a couple are most receptive to one another naturally are going to be the times they are most likely to conceive. Quite frankly I'm most horny at the times in her cycle when she would be ovulating.

Also we tend to have a lot of sex, and having to give it up all the time just isn't all that attractive :).

Good luck, and I hope you find a solution.

Thanks. Using the ring and taking it out for sex seems to work well. The patch worked extremely well, but there are safety concerns, and sunblock concerns in the summer.