NY Democrat Congressman Resigns Amid Sexual Harrassment Charges Against Male Aides

finsuptx

Expert Member
Media
When Massa's allegations came to light, the Democratic Leadership immediately reported it to the House Ethics Committee, that's in stark contrast to the much more heinous actions from Mark Foley in 2006, when the Repulican Leadership tried to ignore it, sweep it under the carpet, and hoped the cleaning lady never discovered it.

The TRUTH is: There are crooks, cheats, womanizers, tickle-fetish-freaks on BOTH sides of the aisle. But this Massa incident (I can't believe we're still talking about it for Christ's sake) CLEARLY shows that Deomocrats kept their promise to try and drain the swamp.

If Democrates really wanted to punish Massa for his healthcare vote, they wouldn't have forced him out and risk a Red taking over the seat like Massa claims. They would have kept the chip in their pockets as a threat to force him to vote their way.

At the end of the day, it is crystal clear that the Democratic Leadership is at least trying to do what they said they would do. Facing the same question, the Republican Leadership tried to hide it. I hesitate to even call it the same question, because in the Mark Foley instance, he was preying on KIDS! The Republican Leadership wouldn't even take a stand to safeguard your kids!

But it shouldn't be about Republicans or Democrats and who's crimes are worse. It ought to be about actually holding ALL of our elected officials to the higher standard that is rightfully expected of them.

*soap box breaks*

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
When Massa's allegations came to light, the Democratic Leadership immediately reported it to the House Ethics Committee, that's in stark contrast to the much more heinous actions from Mark Foley in 2006, when the Repulican Leadership tried to ignore it, sweep it under the carpet, and hoped the cleaning lady never discovered it.

Nope.

A Democratic leadership aide, who was not authorized to be quoted, confirmed Wednesday night that in October, Eric Massa's chief of staff met with a staff member in Speaker Nancy's Pelosi's office to discuss problems with the lawmaker.

The Massa aide pointed out a negative story about the lawmaker in a local newspaper that described Massa's living arrangements with staff members. The Massa aide told the speaker's office that he asked the congressman, who is married, to move out.

Massa's aide also discussed Massa's use of strong language and the way he ran his office.

Pelosi's spokesman, Brendan Daly, said the harassment allegations didn't surface until last month.
Stargazette.com

The TRUTH is: There are crooks, cheats, womanizers, tickle-fetish-freaks on BOTH sides of the aisle. But this Massa incident (I can't believe we're still talking about it for Christ's sake) CLEARLY shows that Deomocrats kept their promise to try and drain the swamp.

Nope.

Ex-Obama adviser: Democrats may get 'slaughtered' in fall

He came to the White House on Wednesday for a quiet meeting with the president's senior adviser, David Axelrod, to express a fear that Republicans are seizing the high ground on cleaning up Washington, on issues such as the ethics probe of Rep. Charlie Rangel, D-New York.
Hildebrand is pushing for a strong outside body to oversee congressional ethics so that lawmakers are no longer policing themselves
CNN.com

"Point is things [are] happening today in Washington under Democratic leadership that were happening under Republican leadership that we went after pretty hard as a party," Hildebrand said. "We went after that culture of corruption, and I don't believe there is a culture of corruption, but I do believe there is an image problem that Washington in general has to deal with. And Democrats are in trouble now and if they don't do anything."
CNN.com

Pelosi not only failed to drain the swamp...she is happy living in that swamp.

finsuptx

Expert Member
Media
LOL u only see and hear what you want to hear, even if no one except you said it. I'm not arguing with you, hatchetwound, I'm just stating the TRUTH.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
LOL u only see and hear what you want to hear, even if no one except you said it. I'm not arguing with you, hatchetwound, I'm just stating the TRUTH.
It appears that Democratic Leadership may have known of the incidents long ago and did not act.

Your statements were inaccurate.

Massa is NO LONGER in Congress......and yet Vitter, Ensign, and Sanford still hold their positions of power.
Is this another childish dart of "I know you are but what am I?" Please Indy. :rolleyes: Pelosi was the one claiming she was going to lead the most ethical congress and drain the swamp. There are questions as to whether Massa should have been gone long ago...like Rangel. :rolleyes:

Pelosi not only failed to drain the swamp...she is happy living in that swamp.

Pelosi may get caught in the drain:

In a sign that the Eric Massa controversy may not go away any time soon, the House on Thursday prepared to advance a Republican measure calling for the ethics committee to "investigate fully" what House Democratic leaders and their staffs knew ahead of time about the ex-congressman's alleged misconduct.
Fox News.com

Pelosi's staff knew as far back as October about concerns of Massa's living arrangements with other male staffers, Fox News has learned. Pelosi's staff also learned about allegations of groping in early February. Pelosi said she personally learned nothing of the complaints until March 3.
Fox News.com

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
From a purely Political Point of view I hope the Repubs push this issue.
Never mind that within Republican ranks sit the following incumbents:

1. David "Diapers" Vitter

1. John "I screwed my top aide's wife (and she was also a staffer!)" Ensign

1. Mark "Hiking the Appalachian Argentine Trail" Sanford

Well, if Republicans want to have a "sex-scandal" debate between the parties, by all means, bring it on...with the widest stance possible. They can scream about Eric Massa's resignation...as long as they explain their incumbents, Vitter, Ensign, and Sanford.

Daily Kos: Party of Vitter, Ensign, and Sanford wants Massa investigation

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Well, if Republicans want to have a "sex-scandal" debate between the parties, by all means, bring it on...with the widest stance possible. They can scream about Eric Massa's resignation...as long as they explain their incumbents, Vitter, Ensign, and Sanford.

Don't think that will work. When you claim ethical purity and zero tolerance you can't then point fingers and say "but he did it too.":rolleyes:

finsuptx

Expert Member
Media
It appears that Democratic Leadership may have known of the incidents long ago and did not act.

Your statements were inaccurate.

There is a big difference between pointing out a congressman is living like a fratboy, and an actual ethics complaint brought to the Leadership. Maybe they did know something wasn't right sometime before, but what I have read is that the complaint was filed Feb 8th, and as of March 10th, Massa is unemployed (like the rest of Congress should be).

By the same token, Rangel's ethics charges were announced mere days before he no longer held the gavel. So overall, I think my argument stands pretty strong against yours.

There's not a politician in Washington that isn't a thief, crook, or otherwise sheisty bastard. From the minute they are elected, their chief concern is making friends and raising money for their next election. It's a broken system with deeply flawed individuals, and it doesn't matter which side of the aisle they sit.

This "rah-rah-rah, my guy is always Right" is crap! My statment was NOT innacurate, you simply chose to twist the truth to your own ends. You've done a piss-poor job of it, as usual.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
You don't know much about Politics now do you......

I know a great deal.

There is a big difference between pointing out a congressman is living like a fratboy, and an actual ethics complaint brought to the Leadership. Maybe they did know something wasn't right sometime before, but what I have read is that the complaint was filed Feb 8th, and as of March 10th, Massa is unemployed (like the rest of Congress should be).

As previously stated:

Pelosi's staff knew as far back as October about concerns of Massa's living arrangements with other male staffers, Fox News has learned. Pelosi's staff also learned about allegations of groping in early February. Pelosi said she personally learned nothing of the complaints until March 3.
Fox News.com

There may be further investigation of who knew what and when. Your statements were inaccurate.