NY: Gay Marriage Passage Close to Reality

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_Nick8, May 11, 2009.

1. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    #1 B_Nick8, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Nick8:

Good luck with votes in the NY Senate. Keep us posted.

Maine finally got enough votes in its senate when it added wording to the legislation specifically exempting clergy from performing same-sex weddings if this went against their beliefs (gay marriage opponents were spreading rumors that churches would be forced to perform ceremonies).

The New Hampshire state house and senate have passed gay marriage legislation and they're just pending a governor's signature now. Unfortunately, the governor's people are allowed to "review" the legislation for weeks. John Lynch has 5 days to sign or veto the legislation "once it hits his desk", but I can't seem to find time constraints on this review process.

The article you linked says:

"A group of Hispanic religious leaders plans an anti-gay marriage rally on May 17 outside the Manhattan office of Gov. David Paterson, who said he will sign a gay marriage bill passed by the full Legislature."

I hate to sound racist, but we've been getting an awful lot of grief from hispanic and african-american religious groups. You'd think that other minorities would see the inherent discrimination, but this is not always so. BTW, the May 17th date of this "anti-gay rally" is also the 5th anniversary date of legalized gay marriages in Massachusetts (started May 17, 2004), so MA is celebrating half a decade, and support for gay marriage in MA has grown to just shy of two-thirds of voters (it was the flip in 2004; support for gay marriage was at a third; this is precisely what gay marriage opponents fear most: support grows when the people see that no social harm comes from it -- as residents of Iowa will also find out in the coming years).

Keep us posted with updates.

3. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Isn't this the segment that got Prop 8 to the finish line in Cali?

4. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Actually, 5 million "whiteys" just like you are also to blame. You know, if we really have to put a color to all of this. :rolleyes:

To everyone else, I apologize for the racist remark. But shit like this gets to me, and starinvestor is a fuckin' idiot to even suggest that Prop 8 passes because of black & latino people. :(

#4 B_VinylBoy, May 12, 2009
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
  5. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

6. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    actually the mormon church poured HUGE amounts of money into getting prop 8 passed,

and although the black aggregate vote was for 8, w/o the outside money and campaigning from the LDS's it wouldn't have passed.

7. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    This is one thing i've learned the hard way, you don't EVER want to compare rights for gays with the african american civil rights struggle, they are extremely offended by even the suggestion that the two causes might share any similarities.

It probably has something to do with a little thing called slavery. discrimination is one thing, but actually being OWNED? that belongs to them, we can only claim that as a small gay-fetish subset.

#7 thadjock, May 12, 2009
  8. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

I'm comparing discrimination against african-americans and gays RIGHT NOW, in 2009. There is a direct parallel.

I don't need to go back 200 years to slavery -- or go back 70 years when gays were beaten, jailed, tossed into mental institutions. Committing suicide. Jews have been persecuted in the past, yet they're sympathetic to the gay struggle. Even religious jews. Religious blacks, generallly speaking, are not sympathetic to marriage equality (this has been my experience).

If conservatives proposed legislation to strip african-americans of marriage rights, we would suddenly become instant allies.

9. B_starinvestor

Good point, WT.

The hip hop/rap genre has also created {directly and indirectly} an anti-gay message throughout its listenership and audience.

Excerpt from a rap song, "I'll Keeeiillll a mutha fucka if he a queer ass bitch"

Recently saw a special on 'women of rap videos' in which women are parading around virtually naked, worshiping the rapper/MC and then are asked to perform fellatio/sex etc. or leave the set with $30 or so.

Evidently, this music and accompanying videos appeal to an audience that enjoys denagrating women and reducing them to nothing more than a creature whose only value is plunging your penis into.

And that makes the guy 'cool,' and a badass. Anything else, such as homosexual relationships is reprehensible and those are the messages that are being sent out across the board in that genre.

I'd rather listen to scrap metal being twisted down at a junkyard.

10. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

So it's not to just blame minorities for Prop 8. You're also going to attack music that you think is only listened to them as well? Even though I may not be the biggest fan of Hip-Hop these days, to sit here and say that the message of anti-gay runs rampant throughout their audience is bullshit. There are many Hip-Hop acts that don't even reference the subject of homosexuality at all, being that the image is very masculine and touching on a topic like this is always shaky.

Also, you may not believe this.. but some the biggest supporters of Hip-Hop these days comes from, of all places, the suburbs! The genre or the influence of Hip-Hop is not only, nor is it predominated in the minority sector alone. Perhaps if you actually left your Midwestern Home you'd see its influences on culture besides just listening to a few Kazza downloads and watching BET. :rolleyes:

Besides, before Hip-Hop showed it's homophobic colors, anti-gay lyrics & movements have existed in earlier forms of music. Some are more blatant than others. Plus the entire movement to kill disco in the late 70s was due to the fact that it was labeled as "Gay Music". And Rock & Roll was used as its tool.

Consider yourself better educated on the subject. :rolleyes:

11. B_starinvestor

I do think Kanye [sp?] is gay; I'll give you that.

But I can't see in any way shape or form how rock and roll promoted an anti-gay message.

Is there a song or band that you have in mind?

All you need to do is flip in a rap video to see the heinous depiction of women, promotion of violence, and complete disrespect for society; among a host of other harmful and destructive messages.

And I'm not only referencing black rappers. Eminem is a douchebag that has nothing positive to offer either.

12. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Anti-Gay lyrics in music is nothing new. I'm sure with a little reaearch, I'll find plenty of songs with controversial lyrics on this level. You can start with Buju Banton & "Boom Bye Bye"... A notorious Reggae record that called for the death of gay men if they try to touch him. One of the most blatant movements against Disco was started by some Rock & Roll disc jockeys who managed to attach the "gay" label to that sound. Demonstrations were made publically, with several people bringing vinyl and tapes of known disco acts so they could be crushed by a steamroller. Just Google "Disco Sucks" and 70s and I'm sure you'll find plenty. Because let's face it... Certain Rock & Roll acts already had it's stakes into promoting anarchy, objectifying women and even demonic imagery way before "Rapper's Delight" was made by the Sugar Hill Gang.

Hip-Hop, as with most music, represents a culture and all of its attitudes. It's only trendsetting to those who never experienced it in any shape or form. Rappers just didn't wake up one day, decided they hate gays and sang about it. MANY other aspects of life come into play. I'll leave you to guess what those are for now...

13. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    Will, you and i are on the same side in this fight, but you can't just build an argument for a parallel between black's and gay's rights by excluding 200 years of history.

blacks have had to bear an inescapeable persecution solely for the color of thier skin. you can't leave that in the bedroom when you go to a job interview, or try to ride the bus without discrimination or go to school, or drive though a white suburban neighborhood without heightened scrutiny.

being gay doesn't have to be anybody's business but yours.

yeah i can't get legally married to another dude in my state yet, but as a white male being gay hasn't really held me back.

a parallel i would agree with is that as groups blacks and gays have both done as much to thwart their (our) own progress as any opposing interest has.

if we hadnt' made gay marriage a frontline battleground issue in 2004 bush wouldn't have been re-elected, or appointed another conservative judge. DOH!

#13 thadjock, May 12, 2009
  14. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

For Nick8:

Governor John Lynch of New Hampshire said yesterday that he'll sign the gay marriage bill that the senate & house passed. But he wants stricter language included in the bill that will exclude all clergy and others from participating in gay weddings if they go against personal beliefs.

This should happen pretty soon. Maybe even by next week. New Hampshire will become state #6 to legalize gay marriage (and, no, I won't start yet another thread to commemorate! We're at the point now where ir seems like - old news - yesterday's news, when a new state announces it's legalizing s/s marriage)

New Hampshire governor says he'll sign gay marriage bill -- if changes are made - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe

#14 D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse, May 15, 2009
    Last edited: May 15, 2009
  15. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

Really, Will, New England is beginning to make California look reactionary.

16. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    oh great another label, do u really think ur fancy derrogatory east coast labels bother us at this point

we don't need no stinking labels!

ur just jealous of our state income tax rate. we're the best at that, and new hampshire doesn't even HAVE ONE!! so SUCK IT NH!

17. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Ummmm... I sincerely hope there was a joke being made in here somewhere.

18. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    um............isn't California almost BANKRUPT?

19. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

Boys, thad's kidding. :rolleyes:

20. houtx48

Gold Member

put it in the bill church's don't have to marry gays, who cares, marriage is a civil contract.

Draft saved Draft deleted