NYC Marathon

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Thirdlegproduction, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Thirdlegproduction

Thirdlegproduction Formerly WhiteMonst3r
    Gold Member

Albums:
    I may join next year, I was wondering if anyone here has participated in it or something similar?

2. D_Amadeus_Mofart

D_Amadeus_Mofart Account Disabled

Read up on it first, I've done some research into marathons and found they're very hard on the heart.

Look into triathlons which really mix a variety of exercises in together. But certainly look into things, do your research, and if you're committed to it consider getting a stress test on your heart.

All the best!

3. SparkyNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    I ran nyc this year

4. Thirdlegproduction

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've already competed in some marathons but nothing like the one in NY going for 26.2 miles in aprox 4 hours?

In previous marathons I never really did the proper training, just wanted to see if I could go the distance which I did.

My heart is healthy like a horse it's my lower body especially my shins that I'm worried about.

5. Thirdlegproduction

Gold Member

Albums:
    Any tips for the newcomers?

6. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I have done the NYC and the Honolulu marathon. My advice is to have a complete physical checkup before you begin training to make sure you don't have any physical problems and train for a minimum of six months. Be prepared to be very sore when you finish.

7. SparkyNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    With nyc my advice is to just enjoy it and not worry about time

8. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I agree but I was hell-bent on finishing in under four hours!

9. willow78

Gold Member

Albums:
    I finished it in 2007.

(I started it in 2003)

10. shr1125

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Marathons are fun. Training can be hard and you really should be in good enough physical condition to begin training for any Marathon. The training is just as mentally challenging as the run itself. I've completed three Marathons, including NYC (2009), and have a great time at each. I'm registered for the Marine Corps Marathon for 2012 which should be a good one.

I enjoy triathlons too. Training for tris is a great deal of fun as it's rarely the same thing the following day. My longest tri was an "international" distance (1K/40K/10K) and had a blast.

My favorite foot races are half-Marathons as the distance is long enough to require good training, but they're short enough to where you can really push yourself for good times.

As others have mentioned, be sure to get a physical checkup to make sure you're in good enough health to begin training for physical activity! For running in general, make sure you have good running shoes. This means going to a running store to have them check out how your foot lands. When I first started running, I dealt with shin splints because I was running in $40.00 shoes that I bought on sale. Now I run pain free with $119 running shoes that are damn comfortable and fit my running style.

Have fun!

SHR

Draft saved Draft deleted