Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
hey, any guys here at NYU? (New York University) it's basically my dream school and i would just like to hear some opinions on it. how's the campus life? any problems with the school?

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Go to Columbia (I am so into Joseph Massad right now!), the financial aid is shit at NYU. Libraries, credit union, and shuttle are really cool, though!

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media
I have to agree with the above post. If you can get into Columbia, go there! (Then again, my opinion is a little biased because that's where I currently go.) However, NYU is also a great school. The campus is spectacular and so are the professors (many of my professor also teach at NYU). You'll do well at either one.

P.S. If you're just trying to go to school in New York, then I would recommend Cornell U. above everything else.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ha! Clearly you've never had him as a teacher! Yet, I tell 'em for you. :wink:
Not yet!
But I love his views on the occidental need to categorize. His use of Said is amazing. Love him from a seminar I attended, hope to take a class. Maybe this summer, I'll have to check the schedule and see if I have 4k+ to donate. :tongue:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Back when I was younger, I had NYU as one of my college choices. But the financial aid I would have received plus the cost of living would have made it very difficult for me to survive. That was back in the early 90s and before I moved to New York many years later.

About two years ago, I took a night course at NYU and found it very beneficial. Never did get a chance to finish college when I was younger, but if I could make the time and generate the funds I'd consider NYU.

GoneA

Sexy Member
Media
NYU is great if you're planning on going to film school. Otherwise, find some place (even Fordham) that offers a better education.

I tend to disagree. NYU will offer you one of the best educations that you can receive in New York (whether you're going to film school or otherwise). Almost every place else pales in comparison.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Thanks guys for the contributions. It seems that there are mostly positive comments about the school which makes me happy. i always wanted to go, and i think i have a good chance. It is an expensive school, but then, all the best are.

unique_exposure

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've heard good things mainly about NYU Film, Theater (and Musical Theater), Law, and the Galatin Division (design your own major-- though its more expensive).

If you like to stay busy, the Village can be a great place for variety. If you moreso need to live in a place thats more peaceful, secluded and campus-like, then Columbia; or try to go for one of the new midtown or uptown dorms @NYU.

Practicals. Good to Be Prepared.
Dig hard with the financial aid office (in person if necessary-- appeal to departmental reps in the financial aid office personally if you aren't satistfied with what you have). They do have the money to give.

The administrative functions of the school (payment offices, registration, etc) are very disorganized compared to other schools. Plan extra time when having to deal with those offices.

Make sure to save up as much as you can before you move to Manhattan, it costs money to do just about anything.

Dorms- Food
The rooms are a little cramped. Don't skimp on the housing, the extra grand or two added to your student loan could make your daily living situation gold. Or golder.
If you can manage it, try for any place but Weinstein-University Place (@ Washington Square Park). LOL. They tend to cram too many people into a cinder block room 20x10. Its worth the upgrade if affordable. Third Ave dorm is somewhat newer-contemporary compared to others in the Village area.

The security at the dorms is actually pretty good, guests need to check an ID to get in. Good to remember if you have any guests ;)
If you need free food, check out Balducci's on 14th & 8th Ave-- awesome free samples.

With all that said (hope it doesn't sound negative), the Village is a very fun place to be. You will never be bored as long as you have the energy to get out. If you're into theater, Tisch has student theater which is pretty afforable to watch if not free.
They've cleaned up Washington Square Park considerably in the last decade, too. They have a dog run there which is a great place to meet people even if you don't have a dog.

No shortage of guys (and gals) in NY :)
If you plan on doing any gay nightlife, HX mag (free) is a good resource.

Hope all goes well for you. Getting an envelope with that neat little purple torch in the corner can be exciting. if you need any specifics, please feel free to PM me.
:)

wellhung123

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have to agree with the above post. If you can get into Columbia, go there! (Then again, my opinion is a little biased because that's where I currently go.) However, NYU is also a great school. The campus is spectacular and so are the professors (many of my professor also teach at NYU). You'll do well at either one.

P.S. If you're just trying to go to school in New York, then I would recommend Cornell U. above everything else.

1) I didn't realize you were in my neck of the woods.

2) I agree with your assessment that Columbia is better. The only way I'd go to NYU over Columbia was is if I was accepted to the Stern School of business.

3) I think by "New York" the OP meant "New York City" not "New York State". Cornell isn't even close to the city.