NZ Earthquake

Can't find a thread about this, so I'll start one.

An earthquake measuring 6.3 on the richter scale (with aftershocks of 5.7) devastated Christchurch today, with 65 confirmed dead. My thoughts go out to everyone down there, and hopefully all the Kiwi LPSGers are ok.

Our Antipodaean mates haven't had a very good few months, really. :frown1:

D_Gorge Eliot

Just Browsing
Media
Wife and I spent our honeymoon in New Zealand and Christchurch was one of the cities on our trip. Such a beautiful city and country. The people there were very welcoming and friendly to us! It is very painful to see the suffering and devistation inflicted on New Zealand. I hope the recovery is quick and hope that my country offers any help needed to our commonwealth cousins.

Was a very frightening experience. I'm lucky to be alive, it could have been any one of us in Christchurch. It's like a warzone at the moment. It makes me sad to look at my display picture... You can see the spire of the Christchurch Cathedral in the background... which no longer exists :(

fratpack

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It is such devastating news. New Zealand and Australia have been hard hard lately. My thoughts and prayers go out to all.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Sending my deepest sympathies to our friends across the ditch.
As you helped us Queenslanders after our spate of natural disasters, in turn we Australians are sending you help in your time of need.

Stay safe and my thoughts are with you all.

illusionguy

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Love to all our NZ brothers and sisters from Newcastle.
This disaster in Christchurch has brought back memories of our 1989 earthquake which luckily did not bring the same amount of devastation and loss of life.
Contour, it is indeed a frightening experience and I hope that you, your family and friends get through this tragedy with the usual Kiwi resilience.

D_Jimmy Jammer

Sexy Member
Media
I've been thinking a lot about the Christchurch, New Zealand, earthquake and found the country had a nasty one back in the 30s - Napier city, around 260 deaths. Christchurch may, yet, top that. Wellington, their capital city and centre of government, has always been the most likely 'target' zone because, like California (St. Andreas), it lies on a major fault line. Christchurch was never previously thought to be a danger zone (what do seismologists really know.) Napier has since rebuilt itself in 'art deco' style to be a major tourist attraction. Perhaps that's why this pic features on one website advertising the city. I'm not sure, though, I should recommend the Christchurch civic leaders do something similar..at least, at the mo'.

Attachments