O.J. beaten

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You would think that he would have a big enough target on his back as is and try and fly low serve his time and get out in one piece.
It was reported that one of the prison gangs overheard him bragging of his sexual exploits with white women that earned him that "ass-whooping". This was reported by the National Enquirer, the prison has denied any of it.

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You would think that he would have a big enough target on his back as is and try and fly low serve his time and get out in one piece.
It was reported that one of the prison gangs overheard him bragging of his sexual exploits with white women that earned him that "ass-whooping". This was reported by the National Enquirer, the prison has denied any of it.

Last edited:

Q Vee

Sexy Member
Media
First of all: Rest In Peace Ron and Nicole, you were certainly gone too soon.
Second, this is a free country, and we are all entitled to express ourselves.

I am not in favor of murder or murderers.
Nor am I in favor of injustice or inequality.
Similarly all human life has value and the death penalty is cruel, inhumane, way too expensive to be cost effective, and proven not to be a deterrent. Most of all, it's irreversible if the conviction is proven in error.

All that being said OJ went to criminal trial and was not convicted -- like it or not, agree with it or not. Conversely, many men are on death row who do not belong there. One of them seems to be exonerated almost routinely with the help of DNA evidence. Many more have long been executed.

Despite the "circumstantial evidence" Claus Von Bulow was not convicted of the alleged crimes against his heiress wife Sunny.

Countless numbers of black men were lynched, without trials, for decades in this country for lesser or no reason.

Hundreds of thousands of men, women and children have been killed over the last 8-9 years and all THE EVIDENCE suggests it was for A LIE!!!

And yet OJ appears to evoke more collective outrage in our public discourse than all these other things combined, more than a decade after the fact and despite his current incarceration, yearned for by so many. Is it the celebrity, the brutality, the seeming inequity, the domestic violence issue? What moral outrage drives this story to the level it maintains. Race perhaps?

I am a black male. For the sake of full disclosure I have a dear female friend who died as a result of domestic violence. I have also been on the receiving end in a such relationship.

So what? So I am neither insensitive nor unfamiliar with specific aspects of "The OJ Case". I just happen to view the original sentence as less egregious than most. I would much rather our justice system set a guilty soul free than put an innocent one to death.

My point: I wish our society would use the same amount of energy it spends in "righteous indignation" over "OJ", towards issues that are much more deserving. Then we could truly transform this "Great Society" into the model for human rights, dignity, and equality it has the potential to become and purports to represent. There is still hope.

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

Similarly all human life has value and the death penalty is cruel, inhumane, way too expensive to be cost effective, and proven not to be a deterrent. Most of all, it's irreversible if the conviction is proven in error.

All that being said OJ went to criminal trial and was not convicted -- like it or not, agree with it or not. Conversely, many men are on death row who do not belong there. One of them seems to be exonerated almost routinely with the help of DNA evidence. Many more have long been executed.

Despite the "circumstantial evidence" Claus Von Bulow was not convicted of the alleged crimes against his heiress wife Sunny.

Countless numbers of black men were lynched, without trials, for decades in this country for lesser or no reason.

Hundreds of thousands of men, women and children have been killed over the last 8-9 years and all THE EVIDENCE suggests it was for A LIE!!!

And yet OJ appears to evoke more collective outrage in our public discourse than all these other things combined, more than a decade after the fact and despite his current incarceration, yearned for by so many. Is it the celebrity, the brutality, the seeming inequity, the domestic violence issue? What moral outrage drives this story to the level it maintains. Race perhaps?

I am a black male. For the sake of full disclosure I have a dear female friend who died as a result of domestic violence. I have also been on the receiving end in a such relationship.

So what? So I am neither insensitive nor unfamiliar with specific aspects of "The OJ Case". I just happen to view the original sentence as less egregious than most. I would much rather our justice system set a guilty soul free than put an innocent one to death.

My point: I wish our society would use the same amount of energy it spends in "righteous indignation" over "OJ", towards issues that are much more deserving. Then we could truly transform this "Great Society" into the model for human rights, dignity, and equality it has the potential to become and purports to represent. There is still hope.

*Slow clap*

Anyway, I quickly grow tired of hearing anything about OJ Simpson because of the strong reactions.

S

superbot

Ah,but the police aren't looking for anyone else in connection with the crime,which says it all.People have a right to express their outrage esp as the guy seemed to treat the entire thing as some sort of joke by giving interviews and cracking jokes about his notoriety.Nothing to do about race, everything to do about justice being seen to be done.People aren't stupid!!

Satyrrific

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
REGARDS the ABOVE:
Actually, I dont think Q is "conflating" "separate" issues at all. Given the medium I thought it was pretty clear and succinct. Even summarized it. Ive heard his point from a number of frustrated black men and incredulous white people. Ive had the very discussion a number of times. Perhaps the sense that they are "separate" issues to you derives more from a lack of knowledge and understanding on your part than on his.
Like, all oppression is, like, linked eh?
:saevilw:

Last edited:

nicenycdick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
...And yet OJ appears to evoke more collective outrage in our public discourse than all these other things combined, more than a decade after the fact and despite his current incarceration, yearned for by so many. Is it the celebrity, the brutality, the seeming inequity, the domestic violence issue? What moral outrage drives this story to the level it maintains. Race perhaps?...

Hubris, perhaps?

Cybearia

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm British, so, thank you for your sweeping assumptions, however, you would be incorrect in guessing I vote Republican. I also don't vote Democrat. :)

Now I am the first to admit that my knowledge of race politics, the American judicial system and sociological media panics is somewhat sketchy at best, but, I still feel there are several seperate issued being raised by Q Vee under one broad umberella.

Interestingly, conflation is not a perjorative term, merely a descriptive one. Also, I rarely get huffy, life is too short. You are as entitled to your opinion as either myself or Q Vee.

Have a lovely day.

_Jonesy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm going to keep this short as it will probably sound controversial.

I meet most murderers in the middle and understand that if I was them I would be frustrated and feel an injustice unto myself. Yes, they have taken a life but how often is it unprovoked. Deep psychological issues lead to murder, which means whatever punishment they are getting now is stacked with what happened before.

On the other hand, some just kill because they cannot control themselves or like it in a sick way, but I do not think O.J was that kind of person. In truth, there were probably a lot of arguments between O.J. and the deceased that aggravated the attack.

RIP and whatnot but chances are they contributed somewhat to their own demise.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree with Cybearia. There is a crapload of conflation in Q Vee's post.

But he was convicted. It was overturned on appeal when prior expert witness testimony was excluded and a parade of new expert witnesses testified differently. Jim Cramer, who assisted the lawyer in the appeal, has since written that Bulow was "supremely guilty" of the crime.

If you're looking for similarities between Bulow and OJ then I give it to you. They both lost the subsequent civil suits in which they were found responsible for the crimes.
This has nothing to do with OJ nor the criminal justice system.

Iraq has nothing to do with OJ nor the criminal justice system.

It was a media circus from the "chase" in the Bronco to Mark Fuhrman to Kato Kaelin to the glove. I don't think there's a person alive in North America who hasn't heard, "if it don't fit, you must acquit". That's why it has the level of attention it does.

For moral outrage I would say that race is a factor but not because OJ's being black makes him guilty in anybody's eyes but because many suspect that fear of a recurrence of the Rodney King race riots of only two years before or prejudice against the LAPD for the same incident may have influenced the jury's decision.

Regarding the beating in prison, stop reading the National Inquirer. Reportedly OJ laughed his ass off when he heard about the story.