Obama and Hillary: Who won the Calf. debate

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Freddie53, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Freddie53

Gold Member

According to CNN, 60 percent of undecided voters felt Clinton won the debate. 40 % of undecided voters believed Obama won the debate.

While not stated as such, Hillary supporters think she did the best in the debate and Obama supporters felt Obama won the debate.

One thing for sure, both candidates acted professional and made it clear that either of them were way above what the Republicans had to offer in comments.

Your thoughts on the continuing Democratic debates on who is better Obama or Hillary?

2. D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV

They learned their lesson from the last debate that made them both look bad. Tonight they both looked great. I don't think there was a clear winner, but I think the party won which is what matters to a majority of democrats, regardless who they support. Obama didn't exactly stand out to me as spectacular tonight, I enjoyed Clinton's line about needing a second Clinton to clean up the mess of the second Bush.

3. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah I would have to give this one to clinton by a smudge, but barrack did well too. I thought they both said some good things but Hillary impressed me that bitch is in charge! They threw some nasty questions at her and she handled them well. I think it really just comes down to who you favor more. When Hillary talks of a subject she gives off this impression that she has been there done that, is experienced, with an air of confidence cause she knows she has what it takes.

Obama is a great speaker but when he gives his versions of things they just don't come across as real, like your teenage son trying to tell you about parenting. Hillary must be like "C'mon son what you really know bout foreign policy n shit." She has sat behind a President and seen how it works. But I must admit he says some good shit himself and is a formidable candidate. I think it would be nice for the three of them to run together, Billary-Obama, '08.

4. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Obama buried his digs in high-road banter. Hillary, even on her best behavior (like tonight), makes my skin crawl. And let's not forget that Hillary is the most polarizing figure in American politics since Richard Nixon.

In my dreams I imagine McCain vs Obama, if only because it holds the promise of the most intelligent and elevated political discourse in my memory.

And strictly aside: Did you catch Chelsea? Whoever her stylist is deserves a raise.

5. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Indeed. Seeing and hearing that vile cunt on my TV screen is like being force-fed broccoli. The thought that hundreds of thousands out there actually think putting her in charge of the Executive is the ideal is akin to actually swallowing said greens.

6. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

Now now my lovely watch your language!
    From what I'm told cunts are useful things and broccoli can be tasty with enough cheese sauce.
    How about calling her a "steaming pile of dog vomit" instead.
    Dog vomit has no redeeming qualities.

7. Freddie53

Gold Member

What is it about Hillary that really sets people off? Is it her past? In the debate she was a charming person.

I thought she won the debate but barely.

I believe a Hillary/Obama ticket would be unstoppable, especially since the economy is headed south. And it is now the economy, not Iraq that is number one on people's minds.

Neither of them could possibly do worse than Bush. That is an impossible feat.

8. D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV

It became popular to hate her, some people actually know about her past and may not like it, and they have every right to dislike her...but most people I know, when I asked them why they "hate" Hillary Clinton, they can't really give me a valid reason. They respond with something stupid like, she's a bitch. I used to be one of those people actually, but I was an ignorant teenager at the time. Then when I got into politics I learned about her more and realized it was stupid of me to think the way I was. They love to hate her, thats about it for *most*, not all people.

9. JustAsking

Gold Member

I think we might end up with a Hillary/Obama or Obama/Hillary ticket vs a McCain/Huckabee ticket.

If that is the case, I agree that the level of discource and debate will be very high.

Gosh, elect a smart person President. Why didn't we think of that before? **smacking forehead***

10. D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV

I consider myself to be a Democrat, but I feel a lot more comfortable with McCain rather than a very long list of other Republicans. I don't think Huckabee would be a good choice as VP. McCain isn't exactly a young man, god forbid something happened to him...I think a lot of people would be very uncomfortable with the idea of a President Huckabee, because of the deeply religious statements he has made. There is nothing wrong with religion, but the way he speaks makes it sound as if he wants to inject religion into the Constitution and government.

I think a good VP choice for McCain would be Charlie Crist, governor of Florida. It would be close to an automatic win in Florida during the general election. Crist is very well liked down there and a very nice guy overall. Huckabee might help McCain get votes in the south, but I think would scare away a lot of the Independents that normally have an interest in McCain.

As for the Democratic side, a lot of people have been talking about Obama/Clinton or vice versa. I don't really see that happening either way. If Clinton is the nominee, I'd love to see a Clinton/Biden ticket. If Obama got the nomination I'd like a Obama/Edwards tickets. I'd be really happy with either of those, specifically Clinton/Biden.

11. JustAsking

Gold Member

Yes, Biden is a smart man and really understands foreign policy. He tends to put his foot in his mouth sometimes because he just says what he thinks. But I could see him as a great VP.

12. cristina69

cristina69 New Member

Albums:
    Obama burned Hillary....I hope Hilary wins! GRRRRRRRL POWER =)

13. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Interestingly, MoveOn.org polled all of its members this week and announced the results today:

A whopping 70% voted for Obama, who as a result is now officially endorsed by MoveOn.

MoveOn released some of the comments members submitted in support of their vote. Not very surprisingly, they were not about facts, figures, plans or ideas but more about "touchy-feely" impressions about Obama.

Needless to say, an overwhelming majority of the members indicated that they would support the democratic nominee no matter who wins.

14. hot-rod

Gold Member

Yeah, I hate there has to be loser between these two. I want them both to win. Can you just imagine those two on the same ticket. Would never have to worry about repubs again.

15. SteveHd

Gold Member

I wonder about that too, especially at LPSG. I could fathom ultra-righters calling her a "vile cunt" or "steaming pile of dog vomit" but such nastiness in bothersome to me on a rather progressive [liberal?] board. Is it personal rather than political? What is it?

I can't comment on the debate because I didn't watch it.

16. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    For me it was a draw until the last 30 minutes when the subject turned to the war in Iraq. Then it was Obama who won. Hillary still has trouble with squirmy explanations on her vote to authorize the war, against the Levin amendment, and for the declaration of the Iranian Rebublic guard as a terrority entity(which was basically sabre rattling at the country of Iran).

17. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    C'moooon you should know why, its because there are so many fucking haters on lpsg, who for whatever reason have nothing but hate in their blood. You shouldn't hate anyone that much unless they did something with the intent to hurt you or someone in your family. All I can see that she has done was stand by her man while this country was a prosperous place and we were happy. But hate is a strong emotion and will override all.

18. musclekid

musclekid Member

Things that set people off:

First, she's married to Bill. For some people that is the ultimate downer. People who can't stand him know that for years of her means four years of him.

Her voice sounds like a shrill elementary school principal trying to lecture a bunch of snickering boys who have just released 100 frogs in the biology lab. Four years of that could be torture.

Sometimes she seems to think she is black because she can do a really horrible bizarre southern accent, usually in churches, that sounds like Larry the Cable guy doing a blackface minstrel routine. I guess it's cuz she's been told that she is married to the "first black president", supposedly.

Everything will become politically correct. Everything that is mildly disagreeable will become "hateful". Instead of living in towns we will be suddenly living in "villages" and you have to be raised by "the village."

But above all she could be viewed as a huge delusional hypocrite. One moment she is not "the female candidate" and the next moment she is. It is so clear that she is entirely dependent on her husband and she has been since day one. It's hyper-traditional in the end: the woman pretends to be independent, "experienced", etc., but all of it is based on him. He even has to go out there and be her attack dog. If she were Hillary Smith it might be a historical moment, but it's really just woman married to an important man -- an important man who doesn't even seem to respect women. And of course she continues to stand by her man, just like the cookie-baking women she always makes fun of.

Just some ideas.

19. SteveHd

Gold Member

An exaggeration, but, largely true when she raises her voice. I have to allow that I don't like her voice.

------

Skull, you have a valid point about "haters".

20. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Most interesting...so people do elect the nation's president based on those highly rational criteria.

I now understand how "W" got elected, with that All-American swagger and all...

I personally don't like Obama's hair. It lacks sheen and we can't run our fingers through it...

So I guess I have no choice but vote for Hillary.

Damn!

Draft saved Draft deleted