Obama and racial division.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Drifterwood, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I have always been interested in racial division in the US. I found it more pronounced than the UK the first time I ever visited, you could walk down a street in New York and the only Black people you saw were doormen and then you would go on one block and it was no go for white people. That was the 90's BTW. I haven't been for a few years so don't flame me if that has all changed, and please don't try to talk about the UK, this question is not about te UK or anywhere else.

You can't escape the fact that without 95% ish support of the Black population, Obama would not have been elected. A considerable majority of whites voted against him.

So what of the future? Will Obama be able to prove through your political system that race is irrelevant in the making of a great President or will his enemies, for surely there are many, be able to bring him down?

2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Obama won a higher percentage of the "white" vote than any other democrat since Jimmy Carter......More than Kerry, Gore, Dukakis, or even Bill Clinton.

3. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Thanks Industrial, I would never have known that. So, something like 60% of US whites are Republican? That is amazing.

4. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

it was a case of being offered two candidates

the vote came down to economics

oddly enough, the electorate actually thought there would be different economic landscapes under one party or the other (won't they be in for a surprise)

race and other matters were disregarded

5. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Horse poop Nick, look at the stats - you can guarantee a % that won't ever vote for a democrat. let alone a Blazing Saddle.

6. nudeyorker

Gold Member

If you see color and race there is a race and color issue, if you see the person and their capabilities then that it what you have. Simple choice.

7. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    The most telling demographic breakdowns aren't those based on race or gender, but those split by age and education.

Exit polls showed voters under 30 years old broke 2:1 for Obama in this election, and those with at least some college education also favored him. That's the voice of our future. Comparatively speaking, race was unimportant.

8. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Except among blacks, who were supporting one of their own, and for good reason.

9. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    Don't forget blacks usually vote Democratic by huge proportions. Kerry got 88% of the black vote in 2004, I believe.

10. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Obama is more impressive to me than Gore or Kerry were. In my opinion, Obama didn't make the election about race and that established an environment in which issues far exceeded race.

I also thought it showed good judgment, in his victory speech, that he did not allow Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton onto the stage.

I have read a few articles in the last month that demonstrated that crime had actually dropped precipitously since the election in normally crime-laden areas. There may be an unexpected benefit from his election in the area of crime, who knows?

In any case, I would be surprised if the issue of racial division doesn't improve as a result of this scenario.

11. mindseye

Gold Member

I thought it fine judgement on the part of John McCain that he didn't invite David Duke on stage when he made his concession.

12. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

almost missed this

on its own, the statement might mean if a white voter were given the option between a white candidate or a black candidate, he would have good reason to vote white, one of his own, on that basis?

I'm sure there's something behind this statement

if the poster would care to explain, I'm all ears

13. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Very good point. It was the new White Democrat 18 -35 (age group) who put him in office.

14. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

He was remarking on an earlier, inaccurate post from somebody that said race was comparatively unimportant in the election.

15. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

ah, thanx!

knew I was missing something

16. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Was that all States HG? Though i wonder if over 30's git s like me will bow to the tide?

Oh, I saw this and thought of you :biggrin1:

Attached Files:

17. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

one should recognize the decline in standards of American education -- we are producing college graduates who cannot read

i do think the libs' trumpeting of that little factoid is both telling and misplaced

18. artvandelay

artvandelay New Member

Where are you getting your numbers? Blacks make up only 13 percent of the US population and not all vote Democratic or for a black candidate. This country is basically split down the middle with a small majority going Democratic.

19. artvandelay

artvandelay New Member

Exactly, it wasn't the blacks that gave Obama the win. It was getting out the vote and the younger voters who were tired of the same old politicians. All most of the younger voters can remember running this country is a Bush or a Clinton. We've had either a Bush or a Clinton in the President or VP slot since 1982.

Reagan/Bush
    Reagan/Bush
    Clinton/Gore
    Clinton/Gore
    Bush/Cheney
    Bush/Cheney

Cheney's been around since the Reagan years.

Yes Blacks did vote mostly Obama but that wasn't tipper.

20. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think he's quoting the number based upon registration and not vote. I-Size and H-God make astute observations here. This election transcended normal boundaries and demographics and ultimately was based more on ideology rather than race.

I'd also have to disagree somewhat with S.Rubirosa. One cannot assume that the race of the candidate among blacks supercedes ideology.

Doubtful that we'd turn out in record numbers to support a candidate whose ideology is diametrically opposed to issues and positions of importance to blacks - just because he's a black candidate. Give us a little more credit than that, please. (lol)

(Hey Art, say hello to Jerry and George).

Draft saved Draft deleted