Obama at Notre Dame

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Obama gave a remarkable commencement address Sunday afternoon at the Roman Catholic University of Notre Dame.

Before the address, the media focussed on the protesters. There had been an outdoor Mass and an anti-abortion rally. Hours earlier a plane flew overhead trailing a banner showing an aborted fetus. I see conflicting reports, but I think 39 people were arrested on misdemeanor charges -- including Norma McCorvey, the plaintiff identified as "Roe" in the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion. She now opposes abortion. Alan Keyes and Randall Terry made headlines last week after they were arrested for pushing strollers across the Notre Dame campus carrying dolls covered in fake blood.

The majority of the protesters were not students. The majority of the protesters were what CNN called imported "professional protesters".

--------------------

Obama addressed 2,900 graduates (there were a total of 12,000 in attendance at the Joyce Center basketball arena). He acknowledged that the two sides of the abortion debate were "irreconcilable", but that both sides had to find "common ground".

His trademark calm and easy-going sense of humor were on display throughout the speech. The crowd was supportive of Obama even when isolated protesters shouted things like "Abortion is murder!... Baby killer!" and "You have blood on your hands." Or "Stop killing our children!"

"Each side [of the abortion debate] will continue to make its case to the public with passion and conviction," Obama said. "But surely we can do so without reducing those with differing views to caricature." Obama asked the crowd if it's possible "for us to join hands in common effort... As citizens of a vibrant and varied democracy, how do we engage in vigorous debate?" he asked. "How does each of us remain firm in our principles, and fight for what we consider right, without demonizing those with just as strongly held convictions on the other side?"

Obama: "The soldier and the lawyer may both love this country with equal passion, and yet reach very different conclusions on the specific steps needed to protect us from harm. The gay activist and the evangelical pastor may both deplore the ravages of HIV/AIDS, but find themselves unable to bridge the cultural divide that might unite their efforts. Those who speak out against stem cell research may be rooted in an admirable conviction about the sacredness of life, but so are the parents of a child with juvenile diabetes who are convinced that their son's or daughter's hardships can be relieved."

I don't think I've ever seen any president suggest that both sides of the abortion/gay rights/stem cell research debates are noble and good and fighting for what they believe in (George W. Bush never suggested both sides of these issues are irreconcilable; that both sides are honorable and we need to respect each other, turn down the volume and find "common ground").

YouTube - President Obama Notre Dame Commencement Speech pt.1

YouTube - President Obama Notre Dame Commencement Speech pt.2

YouTube - President Obama Notre Dame Commencement Speech pt.3

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
Points off for use of the teleprompter. Even Oprah can give a commencement address without one.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
VeeP, can't you at least have the dignity and creativity to come up with a response other than another lame "teleprompter" joke? Separate yourself from the herd?

Teleprompter jokes are a dime a dozen. You're a really creative guy and I'm worried it makes you look so terribly pedestrian.

D

deleted15807

I sense this is another 'media controversy', manufactured to generate interest a la swine flu.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Points off for use of the teleprompter. Even Oprah can give a commencement address without one.

Fine... then I would like for you to memorize a full, 60 minute speech without stuttering, and then recite it in front of millions of people. Can you do it? Using a teleprompter is just like a businessman using index cards. Everyone giving a speech on that level does it. Period.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't think I've ever seen any president suggest that both sides of the abortion/gay rights/stem cell research debates are noble and good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjgItRnKfT4

for the simple fact that it isn't possible

only if you dissolve facts, ethics, morals, and rationality can up be down, or down be up

the triumph of irrationality and escape from reality

:yup: :yup: :yup: :yup: :151: :151: :151: :151:

air for brains?

Obama was, as usual, dignified, measured and brilliant.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Nick4444: Your ignorance continues to delight your adversaries.
To suggest that there isn't a "good argument" on both sides of the abortion issue is ridiculous. Even I can see validity on both sides, even if the loud voices attached to them drown out rationality with their obsessive banter. One side sees this as a choice, if anything to protect the rights of the person who is bringing life into this world. The other sees it as a miracle, and doesn't want people to use abortion as a loose form of birth control. I may be "pro choice", but giving a strict limit to the number of times a woman can undertake the procedure would be a way to satisfy the people on the Pro-Life side. And, it would encourage people to be more responsible about their bodies.

What's wrong with ANYONE listening to an argument from two sides, and coming up with a compromise that satisfies both parties? Are you suggesting that it's only one way or no way with you? Seems as if many pig-headed people also have that mindset, which is why we as a nation haven't been able to progress forward on many key issues.

Last edited:

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
I don't think I've ever seen any president suggest that both sides of the abortion/gay rights/stem cell research debates are noble and good and fighting for what they believe in (George W. Bush never suggested both sides of these issues are irreconcilable; that both sides are honorable and we need to respect each other, turn down the volume and find "common ground").

I'm not impressed nor do I give any credit to Obama for his "respect and find common ground" lip service. Obama is so full of empty rhetoric. Reducing the number of abortions? Making adoption easier? Yes, but how? What are you going to do Mr. President? People have been saying that for years. What will you commit yourself to actually doing to get that accomplished? And on the common ground part, Mr. President how far will you shift on a woman's right to choose towards The Right to Life...that common ground? No late term abortions? What? Any specifics? Or just more hopey changey feel good rhetoric that everyone can theorectically agree on but does nothing to really help resolve the irreconcilable (his word) issues we face in reality.

I agree. Points off...but I gave points off for the speech too.

Last edited:
D

deleted15807

I'm not impressed nor do I give any credit to Obama for his "respect and find common ground" lip service. Obama is so full of empty rhetoric. Reducing the number of abortions? Making adoption easier? Yes, but how? What are you going to do Mr. President? People have been saying that for years. What will you commit yourself to actually doing to get that accomplished? And on the common ground part, Mr. President how far will you shift on a woman's right to choose towards The Right to Life...that common ground? No late term abortions? What? Any specifics? Or just more hopey changey feel good rhetoric that everyone can theorectically agree on but it doesn't really help resolve the irreconcilable (his word) issues we face in reality.

Being a Hillary voter I wonder why you never asked HER these questions. She's pro-choice too. Or do you save your venom for one and only one person? Methinks Obama must have jilted you sometime in your past. And as God is your witness you will work till the end of time till the end of days to make him pay for yesterday when you were young.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
simple, dear fellow

the pro-abortion reposes on legitimizing the destruction of a defenseless human life

it requires redefinition of a human life to something NOT human

the same strategy, the same mental gymnastics, that produced the ovens of Auschwitz

Nick4444: Your ignorance continues to delight your adversaries.
To suggest that there isn't a "good argument" on both sides of the abortion issue is ridiculous. Even I can see validity on both sides, even if the loud voices attached to them drown out rationality with their obsessive banter. One side sees this as a choice, if anything to protect the rights of the person who is bringing life into this world. The other sees it as a miracle, and doesn't want people to use abortion as a loose form of birth control. I may be "pro choice", but giving a strict limit to the number of times a woman can undertake the procedure would be a way to satisfy the people on the Pro-Life side. And, it would encourage people to be more responsible about their bodies.

What's wrong with ANYONE listening to an argument from two sides, and coming up with a compromise that satisfies both parties? Are you suggesting that it's only one way or no way with you? Seems as if many pig-headed people also have that mindset, which is why we as a nation haven't been able to progress forward on many key issues.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
simple, dear fellow

the pro-abortion reposes on legitimizing the destruction of a defenseless human life

it requires redefinition of a human life to something NOT human

the same strategy, the same mental gymnastics, that produced the ovens of Auschwitz

I take it you're one of those "loud voices" that I was referring to in my last post... :rolleyes:

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Being a Hillary voter I wonder why you never asked HER these questions.

Because Hillary Clinton doesn't present empty rhetoric intended to be a veil of ignorance based on hopey changey teleprompter words most likely to appeal for the moment to the majority of the masses and help to solve nothing.

sparky11point5

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
11 posts, 3 by Nick before we get a Hitler reference.

Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am very disappointed Nick, you could have used this "devastating analogy" much, much earlier.

I never thought I would say this, but I miss 11inchcok. Nick is apparently drunk when he posts and Trinity "Always Wrong" (tm) is just not that interesting.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Because Hillary Clinton doesn't present empty rhetoric intended to be a veil of ignorance based on hopey changey teleprompter words most likely to appeal for the moment to the majority of the masses and help to solve nothing.

Honey, I'm a Hillary supporter. But even I don't believe that bullshit you just spewed out. ALL POLITICIANS read off of a teleprompter when giving big speeches, regardless of the message. Without one, you sound like George W. Bush. :rolleyes:

Just admit that you don't believe a word that Obama says. That would sound more diplomatic and honest than just assuming that politicians that read from teleprompters are weak.

Last edited:

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Being a Hillary voter I wonder why you never asked HER these questions.

Because Trinity (assuming she is actually a woman) is what I refer to a "vagina voter"--someone whose political ideals may not match up with Hillary's, but are excited that a woman has a chance at the presidency, much in the same way I'm sure a percentage of black conservatives may have voted for Obama.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
However, Godwin's Law itself can be abused, as a distraction, diversion or even censorship, that fallaciously miscasts an opponent's argument as hyperbole, especially if the comparisons made by the argument are actually appropriate.

Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I could as well have used more obscure references to, for example, tribal identification practices currently performed in Africa, but, again, they are obscure

Last edited:

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight